Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long-Distance Baja? -Preparing for a trip to Central America
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bulletmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Long-Distance Baja? -Preparing for a trip to Central America Reply with quote

My brother and I have been planning a trip to Central America for some time now. Our original plan was to take our older BMW GS motorcycles, but after discussing more this weekend we thought the trip might be more enjoyable and safer in my Baja.

Here is what we have:

1961 Baja with:
- low back seats, full back seat
- high performance engine (unknown displacement, but equipped with dual dual-throat 40 Dell's)
- older shocks that need replacement
- large rear, small front wheels and tires with BF's
- converted passenger door with the one large-window

And here is what we were looking at doing:
- replace/rebuild engine with emphasis on durability
-- single carb
-- oil cooler and filter
-- fresh electronics with spares

- roof rack with water and fuel storage
- convert wheels to be same all around
- larger fuel tank and relocate spare
- remove rear seat and create storage platform/tool box in floor
- replace passenger window to stock, maybe replace both doors since they are covered in dynamax crap
- go over just about everything

This is just the start of what will most likely be a lot f prep work.

What are some of your initial thoughts on a trip like this in a vehicle like this?

What would be some areas to look at when building an engine for durability? Best way to get low compressions in preparation for bad fuel?

What is the best oil cooler set-up to run in the hot climate of Mexico for the long-haul?

Best tire/wheel combo for this?

Getting started by pulling the engine and dissasembling this weekend:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Bulletmobile on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
youngMattinson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a epic undertaking man.. heres my unprofessional thoughts and opinions. for tires i wouldnt go any bigger then 30 inches, or 235's in the other tire measurement. unless you have a bus tranny that is, i have 29x10.5's on the rear and a type 1 transaxle and have to run the rpm's pretty high in 3rd and then 4th gear has no balls. make sure that your braking system is in good shape, then cut rubber tubing and put it over your steel brake lines at spots where it contacts other metal so it doesnt vibrate through. i do this and maybe its just taking chances but at the same time my e brake doesnt work and im uncomfortable about it. The braided steel brake lines are also a good idea atleast replace the rubber ones with newer lines cause they swell with time. also be sure to get new wheel bearings, and get the aftermarket retainers that hold the wheel adjustment with a allen headed screw they hold position much better. basically i feel you should pull apart every wheel to the inner brake drum and make sure things arent rusty and screwy like the brake pad springs or slave cylinders. i dont have a aircooled motor so i dont have much advice or experience with those but good luck with the project sounds like a fun trip
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy a stock crate motor. Keep everything as simple (original) as you can. Then you can find parts when something breaks. That's the good news, I bet there's tons of parts down there.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Hamsterben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would find a local vw shop and have them rebuild your existing engine it will cost the same and you will end up with a better engine.
StevieC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, trip of a lifetime!
have a blast, watch the motorcycle diaries before you go
guppysoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took my old 1976 Mexican Baja Bug down to Guatemala back in 2000. It had a stock 1600 dual port with a doghouse cooler. Never any problems. I also took out the back seat. With the rack and the back seat delete we had plenty of room for surboards, xtra fuel and camping gear. It was a great trip Very Happy . I want to do it again in my Safari. You can find parts and mechanics anywhere in Mexico.

Hope you do it. Good luck!
Bulletmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!

Guppy that bug is exactly the style we are after. We are heading down to our local shop Late Night Aircooled in Chico to discuss engine rebuilding this evening. Have to keep this ball rolling.

Keep the advice coming, we very much appreciate it!
pow_rider17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check this forum and thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854312

Being a GS guy, you might already belong. But these guys seemed to have zero issues with safety on much smaller bikes than the GS.

I like what people are saying about staying stock. If I did it on a moto, I would wan to make sure there were dealerships along the way to get parts from. The beetle is so common there that parts could be bountiful, stock parts.

I hope to do a similar trip on a DRZ someday when I'm stacked with cash and down on my luck.
Bulletmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pow_rider,

We are definetly a part of ADV and tey ahve a very active old BMW section there which would be as good as a dealership at sourcing parts we would need and shipping them out to us. It's very cool that that community and this one are so full of passionate people that statements like that can be made.

It came down to a few things:
- it's hot, and while a bug has no AC it does let you drive around in shorts and t-shirt vs the gear required for safe moto travel
- room for more gear, including a larger tent and cooking supplies as well as surfboard or two
- communication and comfort would be greatly improved with the inclosed vehicle
- range and maintenance are almost identical
- safety

but possibly the most important, we could bring an ice chest everywhere we go

Still, there is a lot to do on the bug vs next to nthing on the bikes. It's a touhg pill to swallow putting this much into the trip up front, but again, all of the above are good reasons to do it.
sloboatnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some things I did that you may ponder upon.

rear storage with tool box mounted.

I tried to find some pics of my setup, but I have rotopax mounted under my trunk. I fit a 4 gallon gas, 2 gallon water, and 2 gallon dry storage right above my gas tank. It's kinda expensive for gas cans, but I like em. I'll have to snap some pics of it. They can be mounted in any position.

http://rotopax.com/4-Gallon-Gasoline.html

3BT Baja build page
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417564&highlight=3bt+baja
pow_rider17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not discouraging you from doing it in the Baja. Was more providing that as a reference and saying I think you would have been fine on the GS's.

Also, they did a bunch on cool crap and describe the inner workings of boarding crossings, dynamite smuggling, etc. so maybe use it a reference or guide, a good read if nothing else.

It is cool you are doing this, please keep this as a log as you go and update us, please. Vicarious living is the least expensive. Cool
Bulletmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitchin setup sloboatnova, I like the use of rails. I was thinking of using eye-loops to strap things down, but the rails offer an edge to bump up against and a lot more strapping points.

No worries Pow, honestly it has been a tough decision to make to take the bug. The bikes are pretty much ready to go, low miles and full maintenance. This bug on the other hand needs lots of work and money to get prepped. I wanted to list out the reasons in my last post partly to make a record of them, we shall see when this is all over whether those reasons were worth it in the long run haha.

So, we are at a cross roads with the engine. We have the following:

- A short block 1600 with new pistons and cylanders, but an ugly block and no new bearings or rods or shafts.

- the engine we pulled which has unknown displacement, but had these huge freaking Dellortos on them, I'm thinking they are 48s (up for sale soon BTW). That leads me to believe it ain't a standard 1600, and most likely had a hot cam in there. No real knowledge of total mileage. The case is covered in oil, could be the doghouse connection, could be coming through the slit in the case, hard to tell with it such a mess.

We went to our local shop and he is definitely happy to help and possibly sponsor a bit for discounts, but was really pushing buying a new block to start with. I have experience rebuilding a BMW down to the cam, so a rebuild doesn't scare me, but for the fact that we really need this engine to not give us trouble I'm curious as to your guy's thought s on the buy vs rebuild idea???

The shop was only offering us $50 per core, including the heads. Seems awfully low to me. Any particularly good yet little know engine builders in the Nor Cal area we should talk to? Any particularly better builders down in SoCal? Our dad lives in SoCal and could help us transport a block up here if we bribe him with enough Sierra Nevada beer and meat from my smoker.
Hamsterben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451260&highlight=rebuild

Do the rebuild yourself and save some money.
pow_rider17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the rebuild yourself so you can do it again before you turn around and come home........

Better yet, take new bearings, pistons/cylinders and heads with you. Swap them out before you turn around, it will help to make the return trip only as eventful as you it to be.

If I had a like-minded VW buddy, I would probably prefer to do it in my Baja too but I do have a like-minded dirtbike buddy.

I would make sure to add a very difficult to work around anti-theft device. I would do maybe a lock out shifter and an electric kill switch. I would think everyone would know how to hot wire a vochito.

Also, the ADV ride report gives the most valuable Spanish term ever, "No fumar Espanol" with the worse Norte Americana accent you can muster.....the begging kids will leave you alone. So that all get the joke it means, "I don't smoke Spanish"......kinda.
Bulletmobile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... learn how to rebuild and do it again down there... sounds like something we could do.

Good suggestion on the anti-theft. It already has a sweet dual battery system with a kill-key thankfully. Have to secure the gear on the rack too.

haha, my Dad has done a similar trip and saw the same tip on ADV about not smoking spanish, he agreed, it works!
pow_rider17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebuilding yourself is always a good idea. I don't think you would need to rebuild before you turn around actually. Since you only mentioned Central America, your trip will probably be 15k miles or less and one fresh engine will do the job for sure.

But in rebuilding it yourself you will learn invaluable roadside self assist info. Lets say you have a zip-tie bust loose and a thingamajig now comes in contact with your air filter, then a hole rubs, then it sucks in a rock, then a piston goes down. It would be really nice to know how to get in there and replace the piston, cylinder and probably head too(for time's sake) without being at the mercy of a local gruff staring at two rich gringos that need help with their 50 year old car........a bad spot to be my man.

If nothing else, he may require an arm and leg's worth of dough to get you rolling again.

Even if you could fix it enough to limp it out of the sticks and into a large city, you would be better off. And you will always have TS Logo as a resource to ask for guidance. I would also make sure to have someone stateside be ready and willing to order parts and have them shipped to you, should you need them.

And I am sure you have seen it but the "Long Way Round/Down" series is F-ing amazing and puts you in the right mindset. If nothing else it inspires one to get off their ass and go live life!
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more you know about your "set of wheels" before you leave on your trip the better....

Keeping everything close to stock will probably make it easier on you if you need parts somewhere along the way....

Also maybe spending some time on "Expedition" sites will give you some ideas what to carry for spares, tools and how to deal with environment you will be traveling in.... Think you need to consider a "expedition" styled Baja and not just a not a week end play thing.... Granted there may be good roads all the way, them maybe not....To make trip enjoyable, its all about how well you are prepared...

A good reliable rebuilt motor with some hours on it before leaving will be a must, and a basic set of spares, such as complete ignition setup, a fuel filter or two, fan belt....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a Baja Bug is a great vehicle to take on a long distance adventure. I would drive my friend's Baja Bug anywhere in the world. The only downside is you have to bring your tent too. 31" BFGs in the rear are a must.

Someone once said the best way to prepare for a long trip is to take a bunch of little ones locally. Go camping for a weekend. Drive your car everyday. Maybe take it on a roadtrip to Phoenix or something. In Denver the roads are really crap, so any problems in suspension or steering show up immediately.

Definitely going to want to do a quality rebuild on your engine and put around 2500 miles on it before going anywhere. Any problem will usually surface in the first couple thousand miles.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy it!!!
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome trip and do it while you can!

Prepare and spares.

Scan this for ideas - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/index.php

Here is a 'baja' built by Lorenzo Pearson of West Coast Metric to complete in a crazy one time only South America Race http://ranchotransaxles.com/rancho-news/wcms-historic-bugazon-heads-back-to-baja/

I've got the old Hot VWs about the build - it was a very, very impressive car for the time, and even now.

I'd be sure to take all the tools you need to replace any spares you take, and I would vote for same size tires front and rear, just to make spare tires less of an issue.
1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advise getting a 40cf or even a 20cf nitrogen bottle with regulator and air chuck. A 40 will air up a 235 tire maybe 10 times.

Put slime in your tires, make sure you use the "high speed" recomendation.

Bugs were mfg in brazil for a long time and you see alot in mexico still, i doubt the oil system needs any mods to keep cool, but full flow and a small sump would help big time and extend your oil change interval.

The transmission may be the oldest mechanical original part on your car, id have it gone through.

A bug packed with gear is going to be heavy, add 235 tires and you may end up with not enough power with a stock motor. Id be thinking about building a 2000cc~ engine with a very mild profile.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: