Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade

For those of you (like me) that prefer the look of the rectangular headlights, this is yet one more approach to getting good night time visibility.

This describes how I upgraded my Westy to E-code rectangular headlights using the readily available Hella 200mm E Code replacements for 9054 sealed beam units.

The Rectangular European E Code housings for the Vanagon are pretty much non-existent and very expensive. This upgrade uses the readily available Hella 200mm kit. In case of a broken lamp, single replacements are also available at reasonable cost.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’m not much of a junkyard type, so I ordered all new parts online. Cost could be reduced by using used parts and making your own H4 pigtails.

Total cost all new parts $255 delivered.
Time for upgrade: about 3 hours for the lights, 2 hrs to carefully trim the grille.

Notes: I already had dual relays installed as part of a GW Hi Power headlight upgrade. I was displeased with the short bulb life, and knew I could get a better beam pattern.

Major credit goes to Samba member Jeff / a914622 and his “H4 Lights in a Vanagon" thread that gave me the ideas for this upgrade.

Parts:

Hella H6054 200mm Rectangular E-code Hi-Lo Conversion Headlamp Kit (photo below) Hella Part# 003427811 (R/L Housings, 55/60W bulbs, boots
Summit Racing $99.95 free shipping (make sure you spec E code part number)

Ford Headlight Buckets / Trim Rings New Buckets and Retainers (Trim Rings). (photo below) I got complete assemblies (Ford Part #’s 13119 (L), 13118 (R), 13015 (2). Headlights Depot Part #DS-3-FO2500127/DS-3-FO2501127
HeadlightsDepot.com Right and Left Assemblies (with sealed beam units) $117.24 free shipping (I did not use the GE sealed beams that came with the kit)

Ford Adjusters: (photo below) The Type that used 2 screws to mount the base (I used some spec’d for a 68-70 mustang). Kits include adjusters, screws and retaining springs
From CJ Pony Parts (EBay) 2 sets (R/L) $11.98 free shipping

H5 to H4 “plug and play” adapters (photo above)
Jay Brown (thatvwbusguy) /Samba Classifieds $25.00 delivered

Buckets You need buckets that fit a standard 9054 sealed beam unit (like the SAAB Jeff used ); many Ford, GM and Jeep cars used these. (I used a part number for a 94 Ford E250 Van) You can get these used from a junkyard or new from [Ford (13119 (L), 13118 (R)] or complete assemblies like I did from Headlights Depot. I chose Ford buckets so I could use the rectangular Ford retainers.

Its important NOT to remove the tabs for the screws that allow the retainer to be secured. These are what hold the Hella lamp assembly in place; "sandwiched" between the bucket and the retainer ring.

Photo (above) shows buckets installed. Blue Arrows are adjusting screws, Yellow Arrow shows trimmed retainer ring mounting tab on bucket, Red Arrow shows where Headlight Mounting Assembly was trimmed to allow vertical adjustment clearance for bucket tab, Green Arrow shows tension spring on bucket.

Retainers (Trim Ring) I chose the Ford parts because the outside edge of the retainer is rectangular, not curved on the sides like the headlight (lamp) housings. This rectangular assembly “squares off” the rounded headlight edge and retains more of a stock appearance (IMHO). I also ordered the headlight depot version rather than new Ford parts, because I wanted a chrome finsh (the new ford ones are primer finish); again to retain more of a stock appearance. Again, you can save more money by finding parts at the wrecking yard.

Relays You need to install dual relays if you haven’t already. Do a Samba search. I already had installed the GW Hi Power headlight upgrade kit with the 2 relays and 80/100W bulbs in the stock housings. While the improvement was great, the bulb life was terrible, and I know that E code lenses provide a huge improvement in beam pattern.

Bulbs One of the advantages of this conversion is the wide range of bulbs available in H4, from stock 55/60W to 100/120W. I experienced very short (30hrs?) bulb life experience with the80/100W bulbs. Rather than starting with the Hella 55/60‘s that come with the kit, I’m trying out some Philips X-Treme Power bulbs (55/60W) which are supposed to provide more light at less power and should last longer running at the lower wattage. I picked a pair up off EBay for $19.95 delivered (not included in $255 cost above).

Grille The grille needs to be trimmed to accommodate the larger Hella 200mm lamps. Because of the side (horizontal) adjusters, the grille does not fit as flush even after trimming. The outermost plastic grille securing screws aren't long enough to lock into place. I will try to find a longer “screw”solution.

Performance I haven’t taken these out for true darkest night, unlit highway testing, but a short drive on a stretch of unlit roadway after installation showed very good visibility with good cutoff on my low beams (no flashing lights from oncoming traffic), and very good distance vision on high beams (I left the stock high beam bulbs in the stock square lights).

Photo below shows good cutoff of low E Code beam pattern (during daylight adjustment)

I’m very pleased with the performance while keeping the rectangular appearance that I prefer.

More detailed installation photos at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/13VelosdeRemi/WestyH4RectangularHeadlightInstallJan2014#

Thanks for looking-

Jed
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is absolutely BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

Thank you for posting all of this information.

I've never liked the idea of the South African grille, bringing your late 80's Van back into the early 80's!

I wanted to keep the square headlights and have thought that there has to be a way......... And you just posted it!

I will be ordering up some components and following in your footsteps!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wish the larger low beams didn't make it look cross-eyed... Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

Eh..... It's not objectionable........ Have you seen some of the modern cars?!?!?!!!??!!? many are down right hideous with their light design!

I'm thinking I'd you made a trim ring for the small square light it would even things out.........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jstar89crx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome. Looks good, great write up, thanks for sharing!
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool upgrade. Nice writeup. Thanks!

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!
If you haven't done this yet I would put it on the list. Iv been running mine now for years no issues.

Nice write up

Jcl
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice write up and a great idea. Although I do tend to agree with the cross eyed look. I wonder how much closer in size they would appear if the chrome bezel was painted black? Think

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for documenting and sharing, LemonCove. Nice job!

Do you have a picture from the side with the grille on? I'm wondering how much of an impact the modification has on the profile.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have a picture from the side with the grille on? I'm wondering how much of an impact the modification has on the profile.

Sheesh. I took 70 photos, and missed that one! It's definitely not as flush as before, but I dont think you'd notice unless you were looking for it.

I'm going on a long trip and hope to get some nighttime rural road shots to post. I'll post a side grille photo at the same time.

Quote:
Nice write up and a great idea. Although I do tend to agree with the cross eyed look. I wonder how much closer in size they would appear if the chrome bezel was painted black?

It doesn't bother me, but I could take some black tape and tape off the edges of the trim ring so you all can see. I'll add that to my photo list.

Thanks for the comments!

Jed
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some additional photos in response to comments:

Quote:

Quote:
I wonder how much closer in size they would appear if the chrome bezel was painted black?

As originally posted on left; . . . . . With bezels taped off (black electrical tape just to demo look) on right: . . . . You be the judge.

Close up taped bezel (tape on top/bottom/outside edge):

Quote:

Driver Side - Adjustment screw sticks out more on this side (bezel still taped):

Pass side (bezel is taped - spot at bottom of bezels is where I over-stretched tape):

Please note that I'm only using center 3 grille retaining screws (not far L or R side). The new upper adjusting screws interfere with the grille retaining screws. All tabs on lower part of grille are in normal position.

I misplaced my night shots (yes still a couple more photos to post later) . . .

My opinion after several hours of night driving on rural highways: Phillips 55/60W H4 in Hella E Code - compared to former GW upgrade of stock housings with 80/100W Flosser bulbs: Low beams: near vision seems brighter and well lit, with much better (sharp) cutoff, High beams are excellent . . . appear brighter, with greater long distance view. I wont "out drive" these at Westy speeds.

Jed
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black trim def looks better and makes the lamps appear closer to original
Nice work
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemoncove, thanks for going to the trouble to mock it up and snap some pictures. I think the black bezels do the trick and make the lights appear closer to stock.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
vweggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great writeup! Thanks!
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A video of how the rectangular Hella E Codes do at night, on an unlit highway, at speed (65-70 mph).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR-lSxcbP8I&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Video is low res. and kind of boring, but gives an idea of performance. Even with 55/60W bulbs, the E Code performance is WAY better than stock rectangular headlamps with 80/100W bulbs. Cutoff on low beams is excellent, no problem for oncoming traffic or when behind another car when stopped. Night and Day, as they say.

Screenshots:

Next to Bostig, best upgrade I've done, for sure.

Jed
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - nice upgrade. Even with the grainy shots I can see the E code advantage. Those of us in deer country need these!
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think of all those opossems that will thank you too.
morymob
Samba Member

morymob
Samba Member

512dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buck Reply with quote

Morymob really wants us to think of the 'possems Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: