Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wellcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, since I just found this thread I would like to include a link of a recent question I posted a few minutes ago http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7373615#7373615

Do u guys have any suggestions on what should I take care on this car while working on it?

Would love to have it running as soon as I can. The 2 things I need to fix asap so I can have it running is the transmission and fix the small hesitation and get a tune up kit. Would like to replace the transmission with a new ones if possible depending on price of course, like my first thread, where would be the best place to get a replacement transmission for the newer classic beetle, are they the same transmission as the older ones?

Please guys give me as much info as u guys can as I'm new to beetles but not to vw.

Any useful website for mexican beetles?

Thanks again guys.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellcraft wrote:

Hi, new to the forum. I just bought a 99 mexican beetle and would like to clean the injectors and would like to know how can this be done.

Thanks.

Hi. nothing fancy, I just add STP cleaner to the fuel at the beginning of summer then drive the car and let the stuff do its job. If your injectors are clogged already you'd better have them cleaned professionally.

the most complete reference site is 1600i.de.

gearbox: are you positively sure you need a new one? what kind of issues are you experiencing?

as for your "small hesitation", can you elaborate a bit? do you still have the stock FI setup? there are a number of common issues you may read about in the site I linked above that may explain it.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
wellcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
wellcraft wrote:

Hi, new to the forum. I just bought a 99 mexican beetle and would like to clean the injectors and would like to know how can this be done.

Thanks.

Hi. nothing fancy, I just add STP cleaner to the fuel at the beginning of summer then drive the car and let the stuff do its job. If your injectors are clogged already you'd better have them cleaned professionally.

the most complete reference site is 1600i.de.

gearbox: are you positively sure you need a new one? what kind of issues are you experiencing?

as for your "small hesitation", can you elaborate a bit? do you still have the stock FI setup? there are a number of common issues you may read about in the site I linked above that may explain it.

Thanks a lot for the quick response. Not sure if I need to clean injectors but thought it could be an easy job so I'll be adding some sea foam just in case. I just bought the car 2 days ago knowing the car has transmission problems. The issue might be with the synchronizer I would say. Having a hard time getting into all gears, they grind every time u try to get into firs or any other gear, revers isn't a problem as of the day I test drove it. He was told the problems should be synchronizer.
We were able to test drive the car and I felt a hesitation during the test but can't elaborate much as I was more into the tyranny thing. I know he replace the throttle position sensor sometime ago. The hesitation was there the whole time while driving it.

I need to check more in depth about the transmission issue to make sure I need one but broke my foot yesterday while practicing bmx racing with my son so I have to rest for a few days Sad. Desperado to start working on it.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome wellcraft.

One vendor you should become acquainted with is Antonio Trejo (Parts VW). He is the best source for parts for your car. He sources his parts from VW of Mexico and has a large inventory.

One thing specific to your query, your car has a Swing Axle, not an IRS.

He posted this a few years back (I kept it in a file) on the differences between the older (70s) Beetle and the Mexican Beetle:

Quote:
1600i Engine Differences (from old Beetle)

The air-cooled “Sedan” model produced by Volkswagen Mexico in the 1993-2003 years used the classic 1600 engine with some updated components. It is known as the “ACD” code engine. Differences from the engines in older models include:
1. Hydraulic valve lifters similar to the type 4 and waterboxer lifters are used, so valves stay in adjustment and should not be adjusted between rebuilds.
2. Revised cylinder heads that take a ¾” reach sparkplug.
3. A full-flow filter pump is used with larger (30mm) gears for higher oil flow. This provides better filtering to avoid fouling the hydraulic lifters. Because of the higher oil flow, pressure is better maintained in hot climates. Factory spec oil is 15w40 for the Mexican climate range; but in a wider temperature climate a 5w40 or 0w40 synthetic is more appropriate. The 70s dual relief oil pressure control is used. The spin-on filter is the same as used by most water-cooled VW 4-cyl engines, and the anti-drain back of the Vanagon waterboxer filter is helpful.
4. An electronic ignition distributor is used with no advance mechanism. Ignition advance is controlled by the electronic Engine Control Unit.
5. A combined ignition coil/spark control unit is used.
6. No thermostat or air shutters are used in the cooling system, as the ECU controls mixture during warmup to prevent fuel washing the cylinder walls. However, the fan shroud design has not changed, and the shutters and thermostat can be fitted (by drilling and tapping the case for the thermostat mounting stud) to provide better airflow for cold defrost of the windshield.
7. Fuel and ignition are controlled by a Digifant 1.82 ECU system. This system is unique to the air-cooled engine, although similar in concept and procedures to many VW cars. The control unit includes non-volatile memory for storing adaptation values matching the ECU to the car sensors, and for storing fault codes for diagnostics. The Digifant ECU communicates for adjustments and diagnostics. It is intended to use the VAG1552 or VAS5052 diagnostics tool used by VWoA dealerships. However, it does not use the now-standard 16 pin DLC connector as do US models, so it requires an adapter cable.

Sedan Ultima Edition
Digifant Fuel Injection, electronic ignition, catalytic converter, hydraulic valve lifters (never adjust valves), HD 9mm valve screws, inclined valves, modern spin on oil filter, Golf style front disc brakes fed from dual circuit master cylinder, fully reclining seats, full alarm system plus separate engine immobilizer, intermittent windshield wipers with electric washer, H4 halogen headlights, lockable engine lid, locking fuel cap, trunk liner, fully galvanized fuel tank, full sized spare tire, complete body cavity protection (wax based rust proofing like all late model VWs), spray on sound deadening compound in fender wells, engine house and chassis also like most modern cars... the best Volkswagen Beetle ever made (in my opinion).
wellcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
Welcome wellcraft.

One vendor you should become acquainted with is Antonio Trejo (Parts VW). He is the best source for parts for your car. He sources his parts from VW of Mexico and has a large inventory.

One thing specific to your query, your car has a Swing Axle, not an IRS.

He posted this a few years back (I kept it in a file) on the differences between the older (70s) Beetle and the Mexican Beetle:

Quote:
1600i Engine Differences (from old Beetle)

The air-cooled “Sedan” model produced by Volkswagen Mexico in the 1993-2003 years used the classic 1600 engine with some updated components. It is known as the “ACD” code engine. Differences from the engines in older models include:
1. Hydraulic valve lifters similar to the type 4 and waterboxer lifters are used, so valves stay in adjustment and should not be adjusted between rebuilds.
2. Revised cylinder heads that take a ¾” reach sparkplug.
3. A full-flow filter pump is used with larger (30mm) gears for higher oil flow. This provides better filtering to avoid fouling the hydraulic lifters. Because of the higher oil flow, pressure is better maintained in hot climates. Factory spec oil is 15w40 for the Mexican climate range; but in a wider temperature climate a 5w40 or 0w40 synthetic is more appropriate. The 70s dual relief oil pressure control is used. The spin-on filter is the same as used by most water-cooled VW 4-cyl engines, and the anti-drain back of the Vanagon waterboxer filter is helpful.
4. An electronic ignition distributor is used with no advance mechanism. Ignition advance is controlled by the electronic Engine Control Unit.
5. A combined ignition coil/spark control unit is used.
6. No thermostat or air shutters are used in the cooling system, as the ECU controls mixture during warmup to prevent fuel washing the cylinder walls. However, the fan shroud design has not changed, and the shutters and thermostat can be fitted (by drilling and tapping the case for the thermostat mounting stud) to provide better airflow for cold defrost of the windshield.
7. Fuel and ignition are controlled by a Digifant 1.82 ECU system. This system is unique to the air-cooled engine, although similar in concept and procedures to many VW cars. The control unit includes non-volatile memory for storing adaptation values matching the ECU to the car sensors, and for storing fault codes for diagnostics. The Digifant ECU communicates for adjustments and diagnostics. It is intended to use the VAG1552 or VAS5052 diagnostics tool used by VWoA dealerships. However, it does not use the now-standard 16 pin DLC connector as do US models, so it requires an adapter cable.

Sedan Ultima Edition
Digifant Fuel Injection, electronic ignition, catalytic converter, hydraulic valve lifters (never adjust valves), HD 9mm valve screws, inclined valves, modern spin on oil filter, Golf style front disc brakes fed from dual circuit master cylinder, fully reclining seats, full alarm system plus separate engine immobilizer, intermittent windshield wipers with electric washer, H4 halogen headlights, lockable engine lid, locking fuel cap, trunk liner, fully galvanized fuel tank, full sized spare tire, complete body cavity protection (wax based rust proofing like all late model VWs), spray on sound deadening compound in fender wells, engine house and chassis also like most modern cars... the best Volkswagen Beetle ever made (in my opinion).

Thanks for that great info, will definitely contacting him. So basically the main difference is just the elctronic part of the engine? , rest should be the same other than the updated seats between other minor things with the older ones?

Thanks again.
wellcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, forgot to ask. What's the best service manual to work on the entire car for this model year?
Would love to get one, is there a pdf file btw?
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellcraft:

There is no specific manual (like a Bentley) for the Mexican Beetles. The closest is a set of manuals (hardcopy, written in German) from OMNICAR in Germany, they are quite expensive (I have a full set).

As mentioned on a previous post, the best on-line source is www.1600i.de

There is lots of info here on Samba, whenever I stumble on something of interest specific to the Mexican Beetle I save it.

You mentioned the seats, the seats and some of the electronics are the same as a '90s era Golf.

Please post a picture, I'd love to see a picture of your car
wellcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
wellcraft:

There is no specific manual (like a Bentley) for the Mexican Beetles. The closest is a set of manuals (hardcopy, written in German) from OMNICAR in Germany, they are quite expensive (I have a full set).

As mentioned on a previous post, the best on-line source is www.1600i.de

There is lots of info here on Samba, whenever I stumble on something of interest specific to the Mexican Beetle I save it.

You mentioned the seats, the seats and some of the electronics are the same as a '90s era Golf.

Please post a picture, I'd love to see a picture of your car

Thanks for the info, I'm actually reading the 1600i.de website right now. Will try to get pictures of the bug today and post them, if I can get downstairs, using crunches right now as my foot is hurting. I'm so desperate to start working on the bug Smile
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellcraft wrote:
The issue might be with the synchronizer I would say. Having a hard time getting into all gears, they grind every time u try to get into firs or any other gear

just to rule out other possible issues: does it still grind if you double clutch when shifting?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
wellcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
wellcraft wrote:
The issue might be with the synchronizer I would say. Having a hard time getting into all gears, they grind every time u try to get into firs or any other gear

just to rule out other possible issues: does it still grind if you double clutch when shifting?

Hmm, that's a good question but I haven't tried. I can't drive manual for a few weeks I guess since I broke my foot last night Sad so I'll call a friend who one vw and try that out for me. He should be hear in a few minutes but I removed the battery yesterday and the car still attached to the tow vehicle.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned in the PM, you should check to see if you have IRS rear-end, from your VIN the pan is from a '71. The transmission might be that old as well.
wellcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
As I mentioned in the PM, you should check to see if you have IRS rear-end, from your VIN the pan is from a '71. The transmission might be that old as well.

A friend of mine came to see the car and he was amazed at the condition of the car. He checked the car and it's a swingaxle.
Most probably I'll be ordering a new transmissions next week from ranchotransaxles.com as soon as I make sure it's a tranny problem. Will be checking that with him next Saturday.
I'm sure the car is a 99 model as I found the white label were the spare tire is.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a VIN label on the backside of the drivers side door post? You should be able to see it from the rear side window (middle drawing below).

Also check the engine number (fourth picture), you can tell the year of the engine by it's number (ACD 294541 - ACD 334214 would be a '99)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
wellcraft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
Is there a VIN label on the backside of the drivers side door post? You should be able to see it from the rear side window (middle drawing below).

Also check the engine number (fourth picture), you can tell the year of the engine by it's number (ACD 294541 - ACD 334214 would be a '99)

Hi hopkin, will check that later today, I remeber seen numbers on differnt places through out the car, so I will check them today and take some pics of the car too.

Thanks for helping a new beetle owner, really appreciate it.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a production number (PKN) stamped on the body near the rear engine (see picture). This can be decoded using the following formula:

PKN structure:
Example: 23-1-8078 or 2318078
23 Week of the year (01 – 52)
1 Day of the week
8 Identification range – ('8' indicates Type 1 Sedan [Beetle])
078 Consecutive number off the line
For a 2003 model this PKN would indicate the 78th Type 1 Beetle built on Monday June 2nd.

Based on that formula and the number in the picture my car was the 85th car built on Wednesday, June 4 1997:
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a beautiful weekend here in Ontario so I went for a drive to visit my Mom. I stopped at Narrows Locks (part of the Rideau Canal) and took the first photo. The second is from my Mom's balcony, 12th floor. That's not her car I'm parked beside Laughing .

Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures, again! Cool

How did you create the black anti-stone-chip protection on your rear fenders?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
Nice pictures, again! Cool

How did you create the black anti-stone-chip protection on your rear fenders?

Thanks Gerrelt, I'm not sure what the protection is, it's thicker than paint and looks like it was applied with the fenders off. It was on the car when I bought it. Here's a closer look:
[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My famous Atomwerk bug, affectionately known as Ma Lady. Year 2000, bought brand new from the dealer with lees than 6 kilometers on it by my parents in Guanajuato Mexico.

[email protected]
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of me and world record holding Bill Hatfield with his 1999 Mexican Beetle.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 192

Jump to: