Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Yes, when I bought my Mexican, it allready had the module removed and "bridged".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

I admit I've never investigated the inner workings of the alarm module, but it's first on my list of suspects, too. (my bug ate batteries like cookies before I started using a ctek)

some considerations:
when I replaced the side repeaters, I tested for insulation between the bulb tail (positive) and ground, and found continuity, i.e. a theoretical short (car not running, key off). took the repeater off, tested again and the insulation was perfect. put them back on, again the multimeter read continuity, but they worked perfectly.

A logical conclusion is that voltage was present on the ground (car body, i.e. return conductor), and by testing I was actually reading continuity through the multimeter itself as the "phantom" voltage is higher than the testing one (1.5V).
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

The alarm draws nearly .25A continuously, even when you don't turn it on. The immobilizer also draws a continuous current, but much smaller.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

GarryA wrote:
Why do Mexican beetles kill their batteries if left un-driven for a couple of days? I have talked to a couple of other owners and they all mention the same issue. My 96 will kill the bat in about a week.

GArBa wrote:
when I replaced the side repeaters, I tested for insulation between the bulb tail (positive) and ground, and found continuity, i.e. a theoretical short (car not running, key off). took the repeater off, tested again and the insulation was perfect. put them back on, again the multimeter read continuity, but they worked perfectly.

GarryA's location shows South Carolina, so he wouldn't have the side repeaters mod on his car.
Garba, your side repeaters may have been done by the importer when it was new.

As usual, I'll drift off topic a bit Embarassed
The side repeaters were not installed on my car when it was sold new, but when it was imported to the UK (also the ones on the fenders). It's possible that the wiring for your side repeaters is not the same as my car.

I haven't had any problems with the wiring on my side repeaters, I was able to easily trace the wiring, they are directly wired to the front (bumper) repeaters.

No repeaters in when the car was in Germany:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can see they were installed when the car was in the UK:

My documentation shows that the garage originally installed the repeaters on the fenders (in the UK) but that did not pass the MOT, so they later installed the side repeaters. They are all wired together.

Ironically, the 'window' fender repeaters (from Italy Very Happy ), that I now have on the car would have passed the MOT, without the side repeaters.

Last year I replaced the amber repeater lens with clear ones (using amber bulbs).
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
The alarm draws nearly .25A continuously, even when you don't turn it on.

and this explain the mystery of the mad goerz metrawatt multimeter. Laughing

hopkin wrote:
GarryA's location shows South Carolina, so he wouldn't have the side repeaters mod on his car.
Garba, your side repeaters may have been done by the importer when it was new.

Sorry, re-read my post and it wasn't very clear. I wasn't saying that the side repeaters were related to the issue, just that while doing that I discovered a "phantom" current was running through the bug even with the engine shut down and the key off. with Bruce's info I can safely assume it was that current fooling my multimeter.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

That makes sense. I should say that when my car arrived in Canada, after 6 weeks in a container, the battery was dead. When I charged the battery, the car was in alarm state (and I couldn't clear the alarm using the FOB).

At that point, I bridged the alarm and never had a battery issue since.

Bruce wrote:
The alarm draws nearly .25A continuously, even when you don't turn it on.

Is this true if the immobilizer is bridged?
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

The immobilizer consumes considerably less current, IIRC, less than 40-50mA. I recall that the current alternated hi and low with each flash of the LED and that the LED took 5mA.
What I would like to do is eliminate the alarm but keep the immobilizer. So far I haven't figured out how to do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
The immobilizer consumes considerably less current, IIRC, less than 40-50mA. I recall that the current alternated hi and low with each flash of the LED and that the LED took 5mA.
What I would like to do is eliminate the alarm but keep the immobilizer. So far I haven't figured out how to do that.

Hmm... my car did not have the LED (I assume you mean the one on the speedometer near the 100 kph on later cars).

Also, my car doesn't have the plug-in FOB on the dash, but one on the key chain, similar to VW's. The plug-in style was introduced in 97 or 98.

You can see the antenna for the immobilizer stuck on the glove box. The cable wrapped around (from underneath) and fastened with the foam pads.

There are several circuit diagrams for the alarm system on www.1600i.de, for different model years.
There are instructions there (1600i) as well to remove the alarm system (tucked inside the driver's side near the ECU).
http://www.1600i.de/1600i-elektronik/Wegfahrsperre-ultima/immobiliser.html
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

last week when I worked on the fog light connector noticed the headlight switch had one weak locking tab, plus the connections were a lot oxydized, so today I swapped it for a febi-bilstein replacement unit. by comparing that with the OE unit, I can say that the finish is on par or even better. I'll refurbish the OE switch and keep it as a spare.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
GarryA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

My car never had and still does not have a radio.
I admit I have not done much investigation into any current draw on the batter as it sits. I expected the alarm/disabler. I plan on putting a battery switch on it but just have not gotten around to it.
I would be interested in bypassing the alarm since it is not functional. Is there a link to this information?
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

the link on how to disable and bridge the alarm relay module is in hopkin's last post, just before mine.

if you plan to garage your car when not in use, a battery maintainer may be a viable option. I've been using the ctek MXS 5.0 for about 4 years now and it definitely does what it says on the box. All I had to do was connect the plug that came with it to the battery posts; the plug has a waterproof cap and safely sits below the rear seat when not in use. As I park the car in the garage, I just have to lift up the seat a bit, plug the ctek in and let it do its work.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
GarryA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Yes, I figured out the link. I do not drive the car every day so a bat switch is my next step. I have a battery tender also.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Well this driving season has finally come to an end.

Thanks to a mild and dry November, the roads have remained salt-free up until today. This has been the latest in the year I've been able to drive my car since I've owned it.

I was even able to take a road trip to Ogdensburg, NY for some Black Friday shopping. There were no cars at the border each way, but I did have to pay $18 duty when I returned to Canada Sad .
You can see one of my packages in the backseat:

Shadows get pretty long this time of year, I took this photo a few days ago at 3:45 PM:

Finally one last picture today at a nearby trail, just before the freezing rain started:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
last week when I worked on the fog light connector noticed the headlight switch had one weak locking tab, plus the connections were a lot oxydized, so today I swapped it for a febi-bilstein replacement unit. by comparing that with the OE unit, I can say that the finish is on par or even better. I'll refurbish the OE switch and keep it as a spare.

captain OCD strikes again this week. as the febi-bilstein units have a smoother finish I swapped the emergency lights' switch as well to match the new headlight unit. Again, the finish is slightly different from the OE article, but the quality is there.

proof:

also, a post in the vw diesel thread reminded me my ignition transformer was one of those prone-to-rust temic units. the rust forms from air humidity on the riveted posts and the metal frame underneath the plastic cover. You can see it in this before pic (HT lead already disconnected):

and the new beru transformer: at 50€, a bargain.

edit - II: removed out of focus pic of the beru transformer and took better ones:

I hope the beru part has better rustproofing, but applied vaseline on the rivets for good measure.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v

Last edited by GArBa on Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

ok, other small improvement to the dash.. bought porsche part 9116132340201C (rear fog light's switch cap) even if I wasn't sure of the size... it is smaller than the hella cap but it fits!!!

the whole dash... everything looks factory now.

and without flash:

Cool
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
ok, other small improvement to the dash.. bought porsche part 9116132340201C (rear fog light's switch cap) even if I wasn't sure of the size... it is smaller than the hella cap but it fits!!!

Sembra merce!
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Question "sembra merce" means "it seems merchandise"... something got lost in translation here.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

That looks great! Much better then the yellow/orange cap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
Question "sembra merce" means "it seems merchandise"... something got lost in translation here.

Google translate failed me Embarassed

Looks nice! is what I wanted to say. Hmm, I hope you don't mind if I copy you Very Happy
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
Google translate failed me Embarassed

don't worry, it happens all the time. "Looks nice!" in italian is "sembra bello!"

hopkin wrote:
Hmm, I hope you don't mind if I copy you Very Happy

of course not! a bit of advice: the cap fits, and is usable, as it is, but as the knob is screwed back on the shaft it lets a bit go so that the cap can, if pushed and turned with the thumb, rotate.

so it is IMHO advisable to put something around the step at the cap's base to increase its thickness slightly. I used a couple of turns of masking tape, cut to size.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 193

Jump to: