Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

I go out a see if I can get some measurements later this afternoon.

I haven't worked with brake fluid before, I do know it's toxic and will peel the paint off your car, so be careful.

I found this document in a quick search, maybe something helpful for you here:
http://www.mg-tabc.org/library/vw_master_cylinder_conversion.pdf

Also the PN for a new reservoir is 113-611-301-L is it widely available.

EDIT: I just took a picture and measured the length of the slot:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The slot measures 15mm. It was quite difficult to get the calipers in, I couldn't measure the width, or the distance from the side.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

thanks hopkin for the clear info & pic

unfortunately I may have to scrap the plan... Crying or Very sad
found out a source stating that a brake fluid level warning light is/was legal requirement in italy when my car was registered. (of course, speaking of "legal requirement" and "italy" everything is a bit blurry Rolling Eyes )

thinking about it, the only advantage I can see in converting the reservoir to a mk1 golf unit seems to be the brake fluid level sensor, and if you remember my first thread here on thesamba, on my car the brake switch singal wire was disconnected from the warning light and just the level sensor hooked up... I'm afraid I'll have to live with this mod. Sad
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v

Last edited by GArBa on Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
thanks hopkin for the clear info & pic

unfortunately I may have to scrap the plan... Crying or Very sad
found out a source stating that a brake fluid level warning light is was legal requirement in italy when my car was registered. (of course, speaking of "legal requirement" and "italy" everything is a bit blurry Rolling Eyes )

thinking about it, the only advantage I can see in converting the reservoir to a mk1 golf unit seems to be the brake fluid level sensor, and if you remember my first thread here on thesamba, on my car the brake switch singal wire was disconnected from the warning light and just the level sensor hooked up... I'm afraid I'll have to live with this mod. Sad

I have a stock brake warning light on my dash, the newer Beetles have an LED on the speedo near the 100 k/hr mark, you should have one or the other. The light is dual purpose, brake or engine.

Do you have a second warning light? Could you post some photos?
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

no, i just have the usual light on the right of the speedo, but I converted it to a dual purpose light.

From the factory, it would light up when you depressed the brake pedal and have one failed circuit.

As it was (modified) in my car when I bought it, it would light up when the brake fluid dropped below the "minimum" mark in the reservoir. (the signal wire for the original function was disconnected and covered in cloth wrap, so the factory function was lost)

I made a connector with two diodes (see here, now modified to get rid of the scotch-lock, see here) so that now mine can light up in both situations. if it lights up when I depress the pedal, I know there is a failure in one circuit (e.g. a air or vapor bubble); if it lights up without touching anything, the fluid level is too low. It is safer, because the level sensor is always hot, so if there's a leak the light can come up even when the car is not running.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Nice job, I'd leave the reservoir as it and see if you could 'improve' the cut in the tray. You may be able to widen the cut, or maybe some type of rubber gasket where the hose rubs.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:
Nice job, I'd leave the reservoir as it and see if you could 'improve' the cut in the tray. You may be able to widen the cut, or maybe some type of rubber gasket where the hose rubs.

I was just dicussing the issue with my father over the phone and those were his conclusions too Smile I'll also have to figure out a better way to hold down the reservoir than zip-ties.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

I was looking for some images of the reservoir to see if there were any mounting tabs that you couldn't see. From this pictures I found, there doesn't appear to be any.

I found this link that shows the reservoir mounted directly to the master cylinder on the MKII:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/golf-mk2/ru..._cylinder/

Zip ties are not a good solution, as they would degrade when exposed to the brake fluid. You may be able to fashion a metal strap that goes around the reservoir.

I found this part number, 533-611-301, for the reservoir and it appears to be discontinued.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

what I have is a 867 611 301 B, MkI golf. I already have a spare one so I know pretty well how it's made. No mounting tabs as it is too mounted directly on top of the MC. I've already started designing a metal retaining "harness", I was thinking two brakets on top of the reservoir bolted down to a structure embracing the tray from the trunk side.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

I was thinking... would the golf reservoir fit if mounted directly on the mexican mc? if so, that would remove a lot of problems... maybe Antonio or Bruce know the answer?
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Funny I thought the same thing when I read your post. Antonio had previously posted this picture of the Master Cylinder. Unfortunately there are no measurements, but it give you a good idea of what it looks like.

I don't think the Master Cylinder has changed over the years, maybe someone has an old (not working) one that they could loan (or give) you to do some measuring and mock-ups.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

checked on the parts list for the mexi.. grommets are 12mm internal diameter while golf reservoir has 8mm outlets... Sad
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Look at Volvos. I know many guys around here have installed the reservoirs from junked Volvos straight onto their master cylinders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

thanks Bruce! I've made a search on thesamba using "volvo" and found out a volvo 240 res has 12mm outlets, will fit on the MC and it can likely take the cap with the sensor directly from the golf reservoir I have... I'll double check to be sure what master cylinder I have and then most likely go down this way! Very Happy
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

well for the sake of future reference, while researching this issue by browsing the 1978-on parts catalog on the vw classic website, I found out that for a short period VW of mexico actually installed 867 611 301 B on top of a 7-mm inlet master cylinder without provision for the dual switches. after that, they reverted to the dual switch activated warning lamp. (edit: too much uncle scrooge and too few mexi beetles on this page... Sad )
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Garba: I was thinking of what problem you are trying to solve.

I like the idea of the low brake fluid warning, as well as the dual circuit warning, as you currently have things configured. And of course, if it's a requirement in Italy to have such a warning in place you should keep it.

Is the problem that the hoses to the master cylinder are rubbing on the 'tray' where the reservoir is currently mounted? Does the reservoir move around, as it's not fastened in place?

Just my opinion, but I like the idea of the access the current position of the reservoir provides, moving it to the master cylinder would make it difficult to top up.

For anyone else reading this, here's a photo of the reservoir Garba has (top image) and the stock one. The images don't show it but they are approximately the same length.

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
... (edit: too much uncle scrooge and too few mexi beetles on this page... Sad )

I agree, this thread has drifted into a discussion thread about the Mexican Beetles, (which is OK by me Very Happy ).

Maybe the thread should be renamed and a new thread started for pictures only.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

hopkin wrote:

Just my opinion, but I like the idea of the access the current position of the reservoir provides, moving it to the master cylinder would make it difficult to top up.

this was one of my concerns too. but all things considered, after looking at various set ups with volvo reservoirs here and on other boards, I think that it would solve the my problem of the ill-fitted reservoir and also eliminate a bunch of potential leak points. Refills would be more difficult of course, but at the same time I think the risk and the consequences of a spill will be reduced.
Also, since I'm going to keep all the tubes, hoses and fittings for the remote reservoir (and fix the hacked tray thanks to the miracle of structural glue) I will always be able to return things to stock.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

The previous owner of our beetle put a sticker or something on the glovebox door, and removed it later. Of course this left a ugly spot, where the texture of the door is damaged.
To cover it up, I've had a fridge magnet made with a safety warning on it which can be found everywhere Disneyland:

Sitting in the beetle will now feel like sitting in a rollercoaster! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

That works Very Happy

Do you know what caused those creases in the dash pad?

I used an old radio trim to clean up the edges around the cut out. I had to file the opening of the trim to fit the radio, but you can't see that part. It looks like it will cover the creases:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Those creases where caused by a very ugly radio the perious owner had installed. The radio was branded "Fiat". Rolling Eyes

This is what it looked like:

It was really ugly, I can't understand how somebody can have the cash to purchase a beetle like this, but cannot afford a decent radio..

Where did you get the radio trim? It looks excellent!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 192

Jump to: