Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: New Build Thread: Subaru 5MT AWD into Syncro Vanagon Reply with quote

Entry #1: Something Good. Something Even Better.

It's been two years since I finished the build of my original Subaru 5MT Vanagon. The way this van drives is nothing short of a revelation. The Subaru EJ25 engine comes alive when mated to a transmission with gear ratios that were designed to work hand in hand with the EJ25. The van accelerates smoothly and effortlessly around town and makes easy progress over highway grades due to the perfect gearing.

Since Day 1, the question has been asked many times, "Can we use the Subaru all wheel drive system to make an all wheel drive Vanagon?" Indeed, this has been something Todd at Subarugears and I have discussed many times over the last few years. In fact, we've both had the blueprint in our minds of how to do a Subaru AWD Vanagon for some time, but there were three missing ingredients that had to be custom made to make this drive format a reality.

I'm happy to report that two of the three needed parts arrived on my doorstep last Friday afternoon and I am now ready to get started building the first Vanagon running the Subaru Continuous AWD system.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The first of these necessary parts is a reversed ring and pinion for the Subaru 5MT transmission in the standard Vanagon 4.86:1 final drive ratio. It would have been possible to run one of the Subaru ratios (taller) and use the Subaru R160 rear differential up front. But I wanted to retain the Syncro front differential for several reasons. First of all, It already fits and needs no custom components to mount it. Secondly, I wanted the 4.86 gearing because an AWD Vanagon should be geared fairly low for terrain reasons and so bigger tires can be fitted. Lastly, I wanted to keep the installation practical and straightforward, and that meant being able to drive the stock speedometer off the stock front differential.

Here is the Subarugears 4.86:1 reversed ring and pinion set.

The quality of these looks very good. Todd tells me these are notably quiet and smooth. He has received a full production run of these and it's great to finally have this lower ratio available.

Now some background on Subaru Continuous AWD. This system debuted in 1987 on the Subaru XT6. Subaru has continued to evolve it over the last two decades in much the same way Audi has done with the Quattro system. In fact, the similarities don't stop there. Subaru Continuous AWD is a true full time AWD system with a center differential directing 50% of transmission output to the front and 50% to the back. The front of the transmission (as mounted in a Vanagon) houses a center differential that looks like this:

It's a common misconception that this system uses a center viscous coupling. It sure looks like one. But closer study shows that it is in fact a conventional side gear differential with a small viscous coupling integrated into one end of it that acts as a diff lock if the speed at either axle starts to exceed the other.

Here's how the differential fits into the transmission end housing.

It looks kind of lonely in there because the transfer shaft isn't in place. I'm not sure why Subaru chose to do their prop shaft output this way, but they send drive to the rear axle through a 1:1 set of transfer gears and then through a secondary shaft before connecting to the center prop shaft. Here's what the setup looks like:

I'll stop here for tonight, but I'm hoping to get into a groove of weekly updates to this build thread. In the next entry I'll show how we are going to modify the output configuration to best match the layout needs of the Vanagon chassis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here come the future. The vanagon may stay on the road for ever.
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea ...looking forward.... Very Happy
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, awsome. Looking forward to watching your progress. This is much further along than I thought. Book Marked and watched. mark
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, it will be nice to see how it all comes out. I don't know much about Subarus, do they have a low gear, or anyway way to re-gear them to get the low gear like the Syncro has?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the initial goal is to have an all wheel drive, highway cruiser vanagon, powered and geared for the Subaru engine. Not an off road vehicle persay.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
Awesome, it will be nice to see how it all comes out. I don't know much about Subarus, do they have a low gear, or anyway way to re-gear them to get the low gear like the Syncro has?

At the moment, there is no way to get the kind of low off-road gearing the Syncro transmission has. Subaru does sell a version of this transmission with a low-range in other markets. It doesn't work with the reversed ring and pinion, though, so it's a no-go for now. Todd is looking into having a modified transmission case made, though, which would allow for a reversed low-range gearbox. It's possible, but it would be a huge financial outlay to produce a special case and there would have to be pretty good confidence that there is sufficient demand for such a product.

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
I believe the initial goal is to have an all wheel drive, highway cruiser vanagon, powered and geared for the Subaru engine. Not an off road vehicle persay.

Yes, that's right, Mark. The idea with this project is to create a van that runs as eagerly and efficiently over the road as my original blue 5MT van does - but has AWD for snowy roads and for exploring logging/forest service roads. It will basically have the characteristics of a Subaru Outback - except a bit better since it has higher ground clearance and will have a torque biasing rear differential.

Over the past few years I've actually been surprised by how many Syncro owners have contacted me and have been interested in going this direction with full knowledge that it will reduce the all out off road prowess of their vans. It just goes to show that not everyone wheels their Syncros or needs the full off-road ability of them.

Dave
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that since you are using stock gearing that stock size tires must also be used? Will the popular 27" tires be too big?

Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to updates. Cool
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super excited about this build too! Popcorn

D Clymer - I know it is a huge step backwards but are the on-demand, full low-range transmissions from certain 80's GL wagons (mated to the early EA engines) an option?

To expand on an Mr. Clymer's early explanation of "why", I'll share my experience:

In the PNW we have no (okay very little) offroading. Sure there are some government-sponsored ORV parks but for the most part a road is structurally sound and drains well or closed and impassable. When I got a van, I did not want to pay for a syncro. But as an avid skier the AWD was very desirable for the snowy hills I constantly drive, and means legally I am not required to put on chains at many places on many occasions. And there are many like me. Thus, the reason I own one and the reason there is a strong local need for AWD, but not low-range off-road.

Last edited by flomulgator on Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
NC Dude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subscribed! Applause
I'll be watching this one with keen interest.
Now, we just need someone to manufacture the front sub cradle-the most crucial component of an AWD syncro style conversion imo
phlogiston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bookmarked.

these are the kind of threads that make forums like this worthwhile.
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I assume that since you are using stock gearing that stock size tires must also be used? Will the popular 27" tires be too big?

Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to updates. Cool

I think 27" tires will be fine with this gearing, but they're definitely the biggest you'd want to go. I have 26.9" (215/75-15) tires on the stock Syncro I have and it runs well through these. First gear will be a bit taller with the Subaru transmission despite the identical 4.86:1 final drive ratios because the Subaru 1st gear is taller. But this van will be EJ25 powered while my stock Syncro is a Wasserboxer. Based on the way my original 2wd 5MT van runs with a 4.11, I expect this one to perform well with a 4.86 and 26.9" tires. I'm talking about road going performance, though, and not off-road performance. It definitely won't be geared low enough for real off-road use.

Dave
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
Super excited about this build too! Popcorn

D Clymer - I know it is a huge step backwards but are the on-demand, full low-range transmissions from certain 80's GL wagons (mated to the early EA engines) an option?

To expand on an Mr. Clymer's early explanation of "why", I'll share my experience:

In the PNW we have no (okay very little) offroading. Sure there are some government-sponsored ORV parks but for the most part a road is structurally sound and drains well or closed and impassable. When I got a van, I did not want to pay for a syncro. But as an avid skier the AWD was very desirable for the snowy hills I constantly drive, and means legally I am not required to put on chains at many places on many occasions. And there are many like me. Thus, the reason I own one and the reason there is a strong local need for AWD, but not low-range off-road.

I've looked a little bit at the earlier transmissions and read some accounts on Ultimate Subaru Message Board that lead me to believe the internal parts of the Loyale era 4wd transmissions are somewhat interchangeable with the later 5MT case. I'd have to get an early transmission and see if the shafts are interchangeable. If they are, then a selectable 4wd version would be possible.

I know what you mean about the lack of off-road areas in the vicinity of Seattle. At one time Reider Road off of Highway 2 was an option, but it looks like that has been mostly closed off now. There are still lots of drivable forest service roads, but you don't need a locker equipped Syncro for those.

Dave
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NC Dude wrote:
Subscribed! Applause
I'll be watching this one with keen interest.
Now, we just need someone to manufacture the front sub cradle-the most crucial component of an AWD syncro style conversion imo

Yep. I completely agree. If someone could reproduce the front axle assembly and steering rack mount as well as the fuel tank and filler, we'd be able to build some nice AWD rigs out of any old tin-top.

I'm not sure that will ever happen since the spindle/bearing carriers are a complicated item. But with Burley already making upper and lower control arms, we are getting pretty close in some ways.

Dave
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:

I've looked a little bit at the earlier transmissions and read some accounts on Ultimate Subaru Message Board that lead me to believe the internal parts of the Loyale era 4wd transmissions are somewhat interchangeable with the later 5MT case. I'd have to get an early transmission and see if the shafts are interchangeable. If they are, then a selectable 4wd version would be possible.

I know what you mean about the lack of off-road areas in the vicinity of Seattle. At one time Reider Road off of Highway 2 was an option, but it looks like that has been mostly closed off now. There are still lots of drivable forest service roads, but you don't need a locker equipped Syncro for those.

Dave

The interesting thing about those is that the low range is a real low range; all 4 or 5 gears are usable at a lower ratio. No idea how that works in this config. Another lead if there is ever a reason to go down that path: the Forester when sold with a diesel in Australia was offered with a dual-range 5MT that pairs to the.....EE20? I think? Which has the same bellhousing as an EJ-series....I think? clearly getting out of my league here rather quickly!

Time for me to quit the amateur rant and go back to eating my popcorn Smile
t'sunamibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:

I wish but here is what the man said.

The first of these necessary parts is a reversed ring and pinion for the Subaru 5MT transmission in the standard Vanagon 4.86:1 final drive ratio. It would have been possible to run one of the Subaru ratios (taller) and use the Subaru R160 rear differential up front. But I wanted to retain the Syncro front differential for several reasons. First of all, It already fits and needs no custom components to mount it. Secondly, I wanted the 4.86 gearing because an AWD Vanagon should be geared fairly low for terrain reasons and so bigger tires can be fitted.

Id love to see an approach to an all Subaru awd street use Vanagon using the r160 front diff but it would be a major undertaking...most likely worth it considering the rarity of parts Vanagons let alone parts Syncro's
Now if a Subaru strut could be adapted to a 2wd vanagon we might have something to look forward to Smile

Last edited by t'sunamibus on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t'sunamibus wrote:
rsxsr wrote:

The first of these necessary parts is a reversed ring and pinion for the Subaru 5MT transmission in the standard Vanagon 4.86:1 final drive ratio. It would have been possible to run one of the Subaru ratios (taller) and use the Subaru R160 rear differential up front. But I wanted to retain the Syncro front differential for several reasons. First of all, It already fits and needs no custom components to mount it. Secondly, I wanted the 4.86 gearing because an AWD Vanagon should be geared fairly low for terrain reasons and so bigger tires can be fitted.

Id love to see an approach to an all Subaru awd street use Vanagon using the r160 front diff but it would be major undertaking...most likely worth it considering the rarity o partsf Vanagons let alone parts Syncro's

It actually wouldn't be that hard to use the Subaru R160 up front. The actual unit bears a striking resemblance to the Syncro front diff and even has mounting points in all the correct places to mount it to a Syncro front subframe. Subarugears has come out with a version of their Subaflange that fits the output shafts of the R160 and bolts to a VW 100mm CV joint. The main disadvantages to using it are connecting it to the Syncro center prop shaft, the taller final drive (4.44:1 is the shortest), and no speedometer drive.

D
t'sunamibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
t'sunamibus wrote:
rsxsr wrote:

Id love to see an approach to an all Subaru awd street use Vanagon using the r160 front diff but it would be major undertaking...most likely worth it considering the rarity o partsf Vanagons let alone parts Syncro's

It actually wouldn't be that hard to use the Subaru R160 up front. The actual unit bears a striking resemblance to the Syncro front diff and even has mounting points in all the correct places to mount it to a Syncro front subframe. Subarugears has come out with a version of their Subaflange that fits the output shafts of the R160 and bolts to a VW 100mm CV joint. The main disadvantages to using it are connecting it to the Syncro center prop shaft, the taller final drive (4.44:1 is the shortest), and no speedometer drive.

D

That's good to know, im assuming Syncro subframes ( unless replicated ) are quite rare. With the Subaru gears mod id think the speedo could be driven off the transmission with a correction box? ( im over my head here )
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: