Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inexpensive high quality pop top seal for 65-67 Westy camper
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rain's Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Inexpensive high quality pop top seal for 65-67 Westy camper Reply with quote

Just a quick note ... After a few years of use the Pop top seal I bought from Wolfsburg West fell apart.. the rubber tube separated from the part of the seal that attaches to the fibreglass top body... I found a solution and a source for a much better quality seal at the local junk yard ... the rear hatch weatherstrip from a Ford Windstar minivan has the same runner profile and is MUCH better quality .. cost? $ 8.00 ! The profile has an extra lip that you can turn towards the inside or just slice off with a razor blade . ALSO the Windstar weatherstrip is the exact correct length as is for a 66 Westy pop top and requires no cutting or trimming whatsoever just press it on ... So much for the crappy ones that sell for $50 new.... I wonder if anyone will ever reproduce the original VW profile?
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive high quality pop top seal for 65-67 Westy ca Reply with quote

mike spadafora wrote:
I wonder if anyone will ever reproduce the original VW profile?

Thank you for asking the same question I've asked for 15 years. I'm not even sure the heads of the rubber market even know what it looks like. These completely wrong seals that people are putting around the base of their pop tops should make these manufacturers embarrassed. Really? Really? Are they serious? To say: "Hey, at least it's something" would be good for about a year, but this many years later, and there's still no correct profile pop-top seal?

I'm sure your alternative to the seal is ten times closer to stock than what is currently out there.

I don't have a picture of the correct profile, but let's see the alternative seal you found.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see anoriginal one too. The WW one I bought 10+ years ago is working just fine.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent some time looking and come up with zero images of the correct 63-67 poptop profile. It's an impressive situation. Basically, due to fact that so few of these original seals are actually still intact, the aftermarket companies have been able to very successfully bowl virtually all the early Westy owners into believing the current wrong seals are actually the right seals. The guy with the Velvet Green Westy down in Southern California still has the correct seal on his... I think the guy has TWO Velvet Green Westies... I forget his name, mid-fifties, heavyset, very cool dude.

Anyone else out there with an image of the correct profile for the early poptop seal, please post it. Thanks.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Inexpensive high quality pop top seal for 65-67 Westy ca Reply with quote

mike spadafora wrote:
Just a quick note ... After a few years of use the Pop top seal I bought from Wolfsburg West fell apart.. the rubber tube separated from the part of the seal that attaches to the fibreglass top body... I found a solution and a source for a much better quality seal at the local junk yard ... the rear hatch weatherstrip from a Ford Windstar minivan has the same runner profile and is MUCH better quality .. cost? $ 8.00 ! The profile has an extra lip that you can turn towards the inside or just slice off with a razor blade . ALSO the Windstar weatherstrip is the exact correct length as is for a 66 Westy pop top and requires no cutting or trimming whatsoever just press it on ... So much for the crappy ones that sell for $50 new.... I wonder if anyone will ever reproduce the original VW profile?

Do you have a link to this part?
bjeles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My seal is original on my bus and is in perfect shape I'll take a picture of it tonight.
1965 double cab
1965 SO-42 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=470425&highlight=survivor+westy
1974 thing
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
I've spent some time looking and come up with zero images of the correct 63-67 poptop profile. It's an impressive situation. Basically, due to fact that so few of these original seals are actually still intact, the aftermarket companies have been able to very successfully bowl virtually all the early Westy owners into believing the current wrong seals are actually the right seals. The guy with the Velvet Green Westy down in Southern California still has the correct seal on his... I think the guy has TWO Velvet Green Westies... I forget his name, mid-fifties, heavyset, very cool dude.

Anyone else out there with an image of the correct profile for the early poptop seal, please post it. Thanks.

Ross Harmon, maybe?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

bjeles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture from above

And with it open.

I'll get the cross section picture tonight.
1965 double cab
1965 SO-42 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=470425&highlight=survivor+westy
1974 thing
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

Ross Harmon, maybe?

Ross Harmon, correct. The seal image you posted is what I had on my one owner 1967 SO44, my second one-owner 1966 SO44 was missing the seal. While it is possible Westfalia used two different profiles during these years, I don't believe this to be the case.

bjeles wrote:
Here is a picture from above
I'll get the cross section picture tonight.

Thanks. The seal that I claim to be correct, was all rubber. There was no vinyl covered alligator that pinched onto the fiberglass or tube used to make the seal. I believe this low mile Westy has this vinyl covered alligator connection with the tubing boot. Will look forward to the detail later.

Last edited by kombisutra on Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
bjeles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is mine, no metal all seal.

1965 double cab
1974 thing
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the detail. It's my opinion that they didn't use three different pop top seal profiles, thus, this third type of seal which I have not seen before, is more than likely a clever hardware store alternative. It appears that there is material still stuck to the glue, as if the seal is light, like foam weather stripping.

Anyone else with more information, please chime in. I tried to find Ross Harmon's membership here so as to go through his photo gallery, but can't seem to pull it under his name.

Crofty's image above matches the seal I am talking about. As funny as the analogy may be, in fact, this ever-increasingly rare, correct pop-top seal is nearly an exact replication of these lips:

Last edited by kombisutra on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

What happened to that bus? That was Chris Barnes' bus. He sold it to someone.
It was an awesome true low mileage low wear always garaged bus! What you dream of finding.
The original mesh grey front seats were even in nice condition.
I should have taken so many pictures of it when I was in Florida, as reference to what an SO-42 should be.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one definitely qualifies as a low mileage, untouched SO 42:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=470425&highlight=survivor+westy

We really need more pictures of it to document the minutia. I believe he was going to check the profile on the poptop seal.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Obsolete Aircooled Documentation Project had a scanned copy of the SO42 Parts list which included the part sketch and Part Number:

Part # 231067997

http://oacdp.org/so42/25.png

I wouldn't think a seal that is so obvious, so large and significant to such a valuable and desirable model could possibly be overlooked by the aftermarket, yet, I will continue to believe it is so.

Here is an actual untouched SO44. It looks to have something like Chris Barnes' seal, the Salt Monster's kisser AND what Ross Harmon and I had on our buses.

Seeking a cross section of this seal please.

Last edited by kombisutra on Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
bjeles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put pictures of mine up last night, mine has black silicon holding it in place from who knows when. The texture is very similar to my original engine compartment seal.

I don't have any reason to question it's originality, this bus is not sun beat like my double cab from out west where all the remaining original seals are shot and most have been replaced over the years.

You never know it could be like my early curtains and scone lights there are many uncommon things about my eary 42.

Couple more pictures.

1965 double cab
1974 thing
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics and help. Your bus is a great specimen!

Hoping to get some more input here. My goal of all this is to get the cross section into the hands of the aftermarket manufacturers so that we may again see this large correct seal reproduced.

Part # 231067997

http://oacdp.org/so42/25.png
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clara wrote:

I should have taken so many pictures of it when I was in Florida, as reference to what an SO-42 should be.

I got a bunch somewhere. Didn't think to look at the poptop seal though, heh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
David Raistrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Raistrick wrote:
Clara wrote:

I got a bunch somewhere. Didn't think to look at the poptop seal though, heh

...or not. I swear I did, crawling all around. but don't see them anywhere I'd expect. harumph.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rain's Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys will not like this butI once found an NOS VW pop top seal in a small parts house near Moscow, Id that Ihad around for a few years ... It got sold for around $150 to a friend of Charlie Hamill about ten years ago who had a super low mileage 66-67 westy with a bad seal .. I do hope someone gets a good one and reproduces it properly ... I am sure there is alot of demand out there... Like EVERY Wesy in existence needs one...! The same rubber profile was used in early bay windows as well from what I remember.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: