Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Accordion tube refurb,now with added heater cable pain!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: 1978 Accordion tube refurb,now with added heater cable pain! Reply with quote

1978 Australian Bay. As part of a general heating refurb I have taken off the OG accordion/ concertina flexible heater pipes connecting the flapper boxes with the y- piece.
Part numbers are:
Right (from back of bus) 211 255 358 and 113 255 358 D
Left 113 255 357 B and 113 255 358 D

Pics will be added to show what these parts originally looked like.
This is what I started with:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by mcdonaldneal on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In each end are metal collars with what I assume are the asbestos cuffs

Its not clear when VW stopped using asbestos for these, but given the crumbly nature of mine I disassembled underwater and double bagged them until I can clarify. I have had a couple of false starts getting the silicone vanagon/ type 25 cuffs which are alleged to be a direct replacement. I'm not clear whether that means I'll have to reuse the metal collars or not (anyone know?)

The two tubes are different lengths and both unscrew to reveal the insulating wadding, metal mesh and end caps

one of them was distorted inside, presumably from a rock pinging into it at high speed!

Just pushed it back out.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soaked the outers in oven cleaner!

Cleaned up nicely, not sure why the part numbers look like a different font on the left and the right (even the short ends which are the same part number?

Right

Left

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people have replaced the wadding with fibreglass, but it looked to be in good condition, so i kept it.

The inner metal mesh is attached to the first metal ring on each end

There is also a second loose metal ring that fits over the top. There's nothing to hold it in place but I presume the metal/ asbestos/ silicone cuff will keep it in the right place?

Just need to wait and see if the silicone cuffs I ordered from a breakers yard will appear. Meanwhile cable replacement is the next job!

nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

211 numbers are for type 2 parts and 113 numbers are for type 3 parts, I believe, at least that's what I was once told by a VW parts guru.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodrenim wrote:
211 numbers are for type 2 parts and 113 numbers are for type 3 parts, I believe, at least that's what I was once told by a VW parts guru.

Thanks, I read that too (this morning)! Apparently, if a part is reused in another application then it keeps the same part number. I just wasn't sure why the two short ends, with the same part number 113 255 358 D both have the VW logo and have a different font. I guess one or other was replaced at some point before I got the van. (BTW, called it that, short for 'camper van', or 'the Kombi', since we got it in Australia 14yrs ago).

merlinj79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:

There is also a second loose metal ring that fits over the top. There's nothing to hold it in place but I presume the metal/ asbestos/ silicone cuff will keep it in the right place?

That ring (the loose one) is almost certainly asbestos, not metal. I think SGKent suggested cutting a replacement out of a sheet of high-temp silicone. I was in a hurry so I just liberally coated the rings with red RTV, figuring that would keep it sealed up. They seem to be held in place by the seals you have on order.

I did not re-use the metal sleeves with the asbestos, the vanagon seals seemed to fit perfectly without the sleeve.
CA Smog Stuff
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merlinj79 wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:

That ring (the loose one) is almost certainly asbestos, not metal. I think SGKent suggested cutting a replacement out of a sheet of high-temp silicone. I was in a hurry so I just liberally coated the rings with red RTV, figuring that would keep it sealed up. They seem to be held in place by the seals you have on order.

I did not re-use the metal sleeves with the asbestos, the vanagon seals seemed to fit perfectly without the sleeve.

I painted my asbestos rings with a very high temp paint to seal the asbestos. The air inside those bellows gets hot enough to melt things. Do not machine wash the outer cloth that looks like carpet matting. It will fall apart.

This was an aftermarket tube advertised to replace the steel. We went back to the steel.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:

You can just use high temperature silicone to keep these rings in place.
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
merlinj79 wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:

I painted my asbestos rings with a very high temp paint to seal the asbestos. The air inside those bellows gets hot enough to melt things. Do not machine wash the outer cloth that looks like carpet matting. It will fall apart.

This was an aftermarket tube advertised to replace the steel. We went back to the steel.

Love the picture!

The second rings (inside the tubes) are magnetic, I just checked. Does seem to be covered in something though, so no harm in painting over.

merlinj79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:

The second rings (inside the tubes) are magnetic, I just checked. Does seem to be covered in something though, so no harm in painting over.

I didn't think to use a magnet. They sure look asbestosy so better safe than sorry.
CA Smog Stuff
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merlinj79 wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:

I didn't think to use a magnet. They sure look asbestosy so better safe than sorry.

The metal inserts are galvanized steel, at least that is what I have always assumed they are. The rings are asbestos AFAIK but don't present much of a harzard if you don't grind them up for a living. Coating them with a thin coat of high temperature silicone isn't a bad plan though.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a few bucks you can ditch the entire antiquated set up. Hi temp silicone ducting wrapped in "Mighty-Matt" with silicone sleeves on the ends. If you want some pics how to do it right pm me.

Last edited by Hoody on Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Silicone cuffs arrived yesterday from breakers yard. Two orange and two black, so I'll put the orange ones at the hot end.

They fit in snugly and extend far enough in to hold both metal rings in place (no rattling at any rate)!

I might take a deep breath and scrape the asbestos off one of the metal collars to see if its worth adding them in... Or I might not!

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good! Smile I used large screw-type hose clamps on the outside ends of mine to keep them in place when I was done.

"I might take a deep breath and scrape the asbestos off one of the metal collars to see if its worth adding them in... Or I might not!"

I just kept mine wet while I removed the asbestos, then put all the chunks into sealable bags. To replace the asbestos wrapping, I ordered high temp 1/8" rubber sheeting from my hardware store, and cut to fit. Glued it onto the tin sleeves with contact cement and installed. We'll see if that was the right thing to do...it might get to hot for the material I selected, but I did not want to put the asbestos back in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those heater cables are an absolute B@$tard!
After days soaking in penetrating oil, pulling out miles of coiled sheath wire and still stuck fast, I hit on the idea of clamping a mole wrench (vice grip) to the cable at the rear of the bus, attaching a set of ratchet straps to it and then cranking it TIGHT. Miracle! It pulled the whole cable out of the back end, so tied greased up string to the front and pulled the lot through.
I AM SOOOO HAPPY!
Now have a slickly greased, free running cable tube. Shame that I've got a right hand replacement and I need a left one, should arrive Monday...

chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, you totally made the right decision reusing the existing insulation from the centre of the tubes, I did this job and nothing compares to the heat resistance of the German originals. I made sure I kept that insulation, as its unavailable, and glad I did when a repro melted. It is shocking some of the fire hazard sh*t some parts suppliers are selling to customers in the UK.

It was good to see you got hold of the T3/T25 red cuffs, I had originally intended to use those when removing the asbestos cuffs from mine, but ended up using the grey silicon cuffs, VW part number 111-819-945, which are for the Beetle, but they fit and work great for the Type 2 as well.

If you haven't seen these resources on doing the stock heating system refresh already, here are some links, well worth a read:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/freemefromthishell/vw/T2%20Heating.htm - "The Type 2 Heating System explained" (written with Right Hand Drive buses in mind)

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Heating.html - Ratwell's page on the "72-79 Bus Heating System"

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535876&start=20 - Official Heater Thread

Here (top) is one of my Type 4 tubes I sourced a new bellows end for and reconditioned, the part number is 113 255 3589 and it is shorter.

Here is a Chinese made repro (for Type 1 upright engines), which with either a hacksaw, or just forcing it to concertina, fits a Type 4. However, this one melted down in 600 miles, as SGKent shows above. (The Chinese repros are useful for cannibalising and cutting down to Type 4 length, as long as people use the original German internal insulation so as to avoid meltdown).

Without checking part numbers, I think your longer tube is an original VW part for a Type 2 with an upright engine. I think you should really have two of the shorter tubes for the Type 4 engine. As said, if you are careful with a standard hacksaw, cutting dead straight through, you can use the (correct) Type 4 bellows as a template alongside the Type 1 bellows, and carefully cut the excess length off the Type 1 longer bellows, the spiral of the 'thread' on the bellows means the end cap should just screw straight on where you have cut.
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Chimneyfish, I'll measure the distances between the flapper boxes and y- piece on both sides and trim if needed, I think one of them was a bit stiff to get off but I was relying on the fact that they seemed to soften when I was drying them off on the radiator in the house!
T25 parts source, based in Argyll, Scotland is
http://www.wagonbuild.com/
I'd never used them before, but the silicone cuffs arrived the day after I ordered them, no complaints at all! Free UK delivery, but ship internationally if any Sambanistas are interested!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For info, I did measure the distances between the flapper boxes and the chassis tubes. 25.5cm on the right and 27.5cm on the left. Not a huge difference, but the two accordion tubes havea bigger difference in length.
Will probably shorten the longer one as Chimneyfish suggests.

suebug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodrenim wrote:

113 parts are Beetle. 311 parts are Type 3.
'60 Single cab
'70 Bitchen 3-speed Schwinn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: