Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thing Rear Brake Drums from AC Industries
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Thing Rear Brake Drums from AC Industries Reply with quote

Looking for feedback on the rear thing drums available from AC Industries?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The appeal of the original VW Thing rear drums was the wider braking surface. The original drums are no longer available but beetle drums will work.
Even if you owned original drums, where would you get shoes?
Go VW beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug shoes work fine and are only slightly (about 1/4" ) narrower than original Thing shoes. I have been selling, and installing them on many hings over the years and have never had any problems. The concern I would have with these drums is the quality of the casting, and machining. I would be very leery if they are from China. Getting the 5 bolt pattern is cool, but you can achieve the same thing by running 3/8" steel 4 bolt drum to 5 bolt wheel adaptors. They are super strong, and with the right pressed-in studs will hold up to incredible abuse. I have had the same set on my Baja since 1988, ad they have gone from drums, to disc rotors with zero problems in very extreme off-road, and highway use.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the drums are made in China. Just looking for feedback on guys who has bought a set for their thing or bug.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in an effort to answer your question (i know how frustrating it can be to get sidebar answers). I have spoken to the owner of AC an believe he makes quality products. He has a vast amount of knowledge on Things. I plan to buy his front disc brakes as soon as they come back from over seas manufacturing. I am sure his quality is good. It might be more expensive than trying to find a good used set and having them turned. If you can find them.
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone provides a viable option to the PO's original question then it is not a "sidebar response." There are a lot of concerns with Chinese manufactured products so it is something that should be pointed out to those who haven't had the frustration of having dealt with inferior parts. I had a set of disc rotors from China that started cracking around the bearing seating surfaces after less than a 1,000 miles.
Riffster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretkona wrote:

I know the Thing Shop, at least, is selling replacement shoes. There may be other sources as well.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shoes are the same between the Beetle and the Thing. We seem to beat this topic to death on this forum on a regular basis. The Thing rear drums are wider, but the braking surface that is being used is the same on account of the shoe width. Yes, we know the drum is deeper than a Beetle drum, but the brake shoes are still the same. Before the change over to IRS, the swing axle equipped 181 brake shoes carried 181 part numbers, but I am not really sure what is special about them, if anything. Vehicles built since chassis 183 2346 525 (the change over to IRS) have 113.609.537C for the rear brake shoes, which is the same as Beetle. I have noted that some brake shoes offered these days by aftermarket companies are slightly narrower than the 40mm specification. Shop around a little when it comes to the brake shoes and you can find quality shoes that are also the proper width.
strelnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferretkona wrote:
The appeal of the original VW Thing rear drums was the wider braking surface. The original drums are no longer available but beetle drums will work.
Go VW beetle

There's a brake and clutch place 9 miles from my house that will do a complete custom set of Thing brake shoes in 3/16" thickness for 30.00 a set You have to provide usable shoes, they will remove the old material.

They will do either brass or adhesive. The only possible down side is time: they do it on an occasional basis so don't expect overnight turnover.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinese rear Thing drums? Never heard of such a thing...

The only Thing rear drums I know of currently in production are made in Germany by Sebro. Very high quality stuff. They sell for around 135 bucks a pop, depending on where you get them. I got a pair on sale last spring for 95 bucks each from eVWparts.com.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
saddlesore1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strelnik wrote:
Ferretkona wrote:
Go VW beetle

There's a brake and clutch place 9 miles from my house that will do a complete custom set of Thing brake shoes in 3/16" thickness for 30.00 a set You have to provide usable shoes, they will remove the old material.

They will do either brass or adhesive. The only possible down side is time: they do it on an occasional basis so don't expect overnight turnover.

What I have been told is there are no THING only brake shoes (shoes that are equal to the width of the drum.). There has never been any. They have only used the beetle shoe. Therefore the shoes only wear on the "inside" of the drum and there is 1/2' or so of the drum that is never used. I have spoke to brake guys about the ability to make wider shoes to mate with the wider THING drums and they all say it cannot be done. I forgot why but I seem to remember it has something to do with the mount on the inside and no one make the wide material with the appropriate arc of the drum. Wider drums typically have a larger diameter.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saddlesore1 wrote:

What I have been told is there are no THING only brake shoes (shoes that are equal to the width of the drum.). There has never been any. They have only used the beetle shoe. Therefore the shoes only wear on the "inside" of the drum and there is 1/2' or so of the drum that is never used. I have spoke to brake guys about the ability to make wider shoes to mate with the wider THING drums and they all say it cannot be done. I forgot why but I seem to remember it has something to do with the mount on the inside and no one make the wide material with the appropriate arc of the drum. Wider drums typically have a larger diameter.

Correct, there are no thing specific shoes. They are the same 40mm wide shoes that the bugs used. The backing plates adjusting stars and wheel cylinders are set up for 40mm wide shoes. If you used wider shoes, you would end up with uneven wear on the shoes and drums.

[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have been told these new rear brake drums have been tested and are reinforced with bosses around the bolt holes
The German ones are no longer available at that price
the Thing Shop has bought all of them and they are the only supplier
they have been discontinued
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sebro drums have similar internal webbing, but the external webs are rotated 36 degrees from the original VW drums so that both the inside and outside webs run straight towards the bolt holes.

To bad Sebro has discontinued them. They were always into reproducing drums and disks for classic European cars. Hopefully when the supply is gone they will run another batch so people can stock up again.

Evwparts still sells them for 119.95 Wink

APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the June 2014 Hot VW's magazine coming attractions ad, shows that on July 2014 magazine was going to a have article on AC Industries Thing rear drums? from So. Cal. Imports. Has anyone seen that article on the July issue? Confused

02/76 Beetle sedan
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seven-plus months later, I don't have an answer to the above question.

I found this thread in my searching about Thing rear drums. I immediately learned about the brake shoes not being any different than the Beetle's shoes so the wider rear drum doesn't actually supply any greater braking ability. That leads me to this ...

Is there a worthwhile advantage to buying German rear drums from TTS over their offerings (and by others) at 40-60% of the price? If so, what advantage(s)? Braking? Longevity? Anything else?
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The width of the shoes has no effect on the stoping power. The only thing that changes is how fast the brakes fade and wear. Diameter of the drums and wheel cylinders is what makes the difference in break holding power.

Where are you seeing Thing drums 40-60% less than the German ones? This I want to see. May be worth getting a pair to test.

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
Where are you seeing Thing drums 40-60% less than the German ones? This I want to see. May be worth getting a pair to test.

The Thing Shop has German rear drums for $245 and rear drums for $128. I've seen ads here and elsewhere for less. The 40-60% was a generalized range.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: