Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Warning: Bogus Late Bay Brake Shoes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
webwalker Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
If we can't get proper brake shoes, then we'll all have to park our busses permanently, ya know ...

ToolBox wrote:
Just quit f'n around with junk and have your old stuff relined, resleeved and remaned.

http://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/brakerebuilding.htm

You did see this, right?

Also, there is work going on Down Under to make contemporary Subaru brake components viable replacements for 40 year old VW ones. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel that is not a train.

M
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

webwalker wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:
If we can't get proper brake shoes, then we'll all have to park our busses permanently, ya know ...

ToolBox wrote:
Just quit f'n around with junk and have your old stuff relined, resleeved and remaned.

http://brakematerialsandparts.webs.com/brakerebuilding.htm

You did see this, right?

Also, there is work going on Down Under to make contemporary Subaru brake components viable replacements for 40 year old VW ones. So there is a light at the end of the tunnel that is not a train.

M

All helpful information for the masses.
Cannot wait to see these retrofitted Subaru brakes!
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now have in my possession a set of Bendix relined shoes, #R421. The webs appear to be correct - the metal is a hell of a lot stouter than
the two brands I've discussed earlier. However, the lining itself seems rather thin - 5.5 mm thick, compared to 6.8 mm on the TCM and 6.25 on
the Beck/Arnley. Guess you can't have everything.

Seems ToolBox was correct: the day has now arrived where you can't just order new shoes and get the right stuff with any reliability. Every bus
owner will now have to keep an extra set of shoes on hand to send out for relining. Of course, there will be lots of bus drivers not catching on to
this for a while, driving around with thoroughly messed-up rear brakes

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Now have in my possession a set of Bendix relined shoes, #R421. The webs appear to be correct - the metal is a hell of a lot stouter than
the two brands I've discussed earlier. However, the lining itself seems rather thin - 5.5 mm thick, compared to 6.8 mm on the TCM and 6.25 on
the Beck/Arnley. Guess you can't have everything.
Seems ToolBox was correct: the day has now arrived where you can't just order new shoes and get the right stuff with any reliability. Every bus
owner will now have to keep an extra set of shoes on hand to send out for relining. Of course, there will be lots of bus drivers not catching on to
this for a while, driving around with thoroughly messed-up rear brakes

How can you be sure the 2 F'd shoe sets had the right thickness of material? I do not hava a FMSI book near me or I could get the specs for the linings. Bendix is/was part of Honeywell but if the regulators OK it it is being sold to Federal Mogul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
How can you be sure ...

Not sure at all ... The lining just seemed a deal thinner than what I have usually had on all my VW's. How are we to be sure the FMSI data is correct? I suppose
an error there could be the root cause of all these bad brake shoes, no?

Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for re-posting that link from Toolbox Webwalker! I missed it and that looks very promising!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
ToolBox wrote:
How can you be sure ...

Not sure at all ... The lining just seemed a deal thinner than what I have usually had on all my VW's. How are we to be sure the FMSI data is correct? I suppose
an error there could be the root cause of all these bad brake shoes, no?

remember that when drums are new their ID is smaller than once they have worn and been turned. The brake shoes when new are normally designed for new drums. Often relined and aftermarket shoes are made for worn drums. This means that the arc of the shoe has to fit the larger drum. To do this the shoes are arced. Arcing removes material. You may be seeing the results of arcing shoes. Although it is not done anymore as drums are rare on cars, brake shops used to measure the drums then arc the shoes to fit the specific shoes. Once asbestos was discovered to cause cancer, many shops stopped arcing so the shoes were pre-arced at the factory as a guess what the customer might need.

This you-tube has a short clip from an all purpose machine shop that shows shoes being relined and arc'd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIe9q95DscQ
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am pretty sure i have figured out what's gone wrong. the brake manufacturers are using the metal carrier for the S503 shoes which are for a Vanagon. they are close but not correct. the upper springs on the Vanagon are different hence a different location for the upper holes, and the lower spring hole of the Vanagon shoe is smaller. i matched up some incorrectly made new S421 shoes and some correct S503 shoes are the carriers are identical, and the new (incorrect) S421 shoes are incorrect when compared to old stock shoes.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, interesting. So, would there be any other explanation for what seems to be multiple different mfr's using the very same incorrect
pattern for the center web of these shoes, than faulty information in the above-mentioned "FMSI" book? I never knew there
were published specs for ANY of the old VW parts. I figured VW probably burned the whole lot to forestall some Ralph-Nader-type jerkoff from
using any of it as ammo in some bogus lawsuit.

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Ah, interesting. So, would there be any other explanation for what seems to be multiple different mfr's using the very same incorrect
pattern for the center web of these shoes, than faulty information in the above-mentioned "FMSI" book?
I never knew there
were published specs for ANY of the old VW parts. I figured VW probably burned the whole lot to forestall some Ralph-Nader-type jerkoff from
using any of it as ammo in some bogus lawsuit.

They are using the incorrect shoe tables because they have crap QC. Aftermarket parts do not have to meet any of the same DOT, FMVSS, SAE .... standards that parts used to manufacture vehicles have to meet.

I just did a benchmarking program on aftermarket pads for the current Ford Edge. Performance was poor in the noise, wear and fade tests I ran. The quality of the part was also very poor, thinner friction material, thinner back plate, poor insulator performance.

FMSI is the Friction Materials Standards Institute, a trade association.

Quote:

History & Mission of FMSI
In 1948 the Friction Materials Standards Institute was founded as a trade association of automotive aftermarket friction manufacturers. Since that time it has performed a very valuable service for the automotive aftermarket – the creation of a standardized part numbering system for brakes and clutch facings.

Primary Mission:
Maintain and enhance this standardized part numbering system for all on highway vehicles in use in North America.

Not only do the manufacturing members have the right to use this system, but their customers also have that right. From manufacturer through retailer / installer one part number is used as the standard and as a common language – the FMSI number.

Secondary Mission:
Disseminate to its members such scientific, engineering, technological, statistical and other relevant information as it may obtain in the public domain pertaining to brake linings, clutch facings, and the industry.

In most industries each company must perform this service by themselves at substantial cost. Then they must coordinate that part number with their customers at additional expense to both. Because the members support and cooperate in this effort, the entire industry has benefitted at a relatively low cost.

Membership in FMSI is open to any manufacturer of friction and related products covered by the trademarked FMSI and FMS part numbers. Other participants in this industry may be eligible for licensee membership.

Both FMSI® and FMS® are registered trademarks of the Friction Materials Standards Institute.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An oldish thread, but I have run into the same shoe problem. Bought from our local euro shop they have the same hole problems as kreemoweet's. I got mine to fit before reading this thread. The spring is under more load by about 1/2" total stretch, but I managed to get them into place(yes, some effort as mentioned previously). Is this bad for the spring(premature possible parting)?

I don't recall this being broached so, my question is, can these new shoes be adapted to fit by drilling a new hole in the proper location for the upper spring? Or is this dangerous? The holes would be close together and the "pointy" end of the spring would possibly have the chance of slipping into the original hole.

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: wrong rear brake shoes Reply with quote

Question,
If you bought the Vanagon Spring & hardware kits? Could you install them on the incorrect S503 carriers and have self adjusting rear brakes?

Vanagon
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

77 Bay
dtvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, once upon a time you could buy the lining and then rivet the shoes yourself. The holes are on the back of the old shoes. Here they send them away for about a week for somebody else to glue them on. and then charge you double.
VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: wrong rear brake shoes Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Question,
If you bought the Vanagon Spring & hardware kits? Could you install them on the incorrect S503 carriers and have self adjusting rear brakes?

Vanagon

77 Bay

Really is that what we are left with, potentially trying to "upgrade" to a self adjusting Vanagon type set up?

BTW that pic of a 77 Bay's brakes looks like they have used the B/A shoes I got. Compare the hole for the upper spring and how close the spring end is to the inside curve of the shoe. It looks more similar to the Vanagon pic above. Is this your pic and if so, do you remember the name of the shoe manufacturer? Was the assembly more difficult to put together?

I notice on the 77 Bay the clip is not present to hold the spring wire at the back. How important is this clip? Seems to me if people were getting uppity about the lower spring in vs out then this clip might be important too?

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
ToolBox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtvw wrote:
You know, once upon a time you could buy the lining and then rivet the shoes yourself. The holes are on the back of the old shoes. Here they send them away for about a week for somebody else to glue them on. and then charge you double.

And aspestose was cool, fuel had lead, DDT was sprayed by the ton...
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those allegedly '77 brakes are using the bogus shoes that caused me to start this thread. You can see clearly
that the shape of the web near the top is not that of a late bay brake shoe (as well as the misplaced spring holes).

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just completed a rear brake job with new shoes on a '79 Transporter.

I checked out the shoes at BusDepot, and the pic they displayed clearly showed a pair of shoes, one with the integral e-brake lever. I ended up ordering from AutohausAZ since they were cheaper and had free shipping, and they had the exact same photo showing the shoes.

When the shoes arrived, there was no integral e-brake lever. I called to complain, and AutohausAZ made good on it by comping me the mounting pins and horseshoe clips so that I could use my old levers after drilling them out of the old shoes. I alerted them to the misleading pic, and they changed it. I checked with BusDepot as well, and they had the same problem (shoes coming in with no brake lever) so they also changed their pic.

So - bottom line - ask before you buy if the e-brake lever is install on the shoes. If not, be sure to get the pin and clip (and spring washer) so that you can use your old lever.

At least the holes for the springs are in the right place! Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwdog wrote; Is this your pic and if so, do you remember the name of the shoe manufacturer?

Not my pics, got them out of the gallery.
Tcash
Bughaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a note to an older thread, Enduro recently went out of business.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning: Bogus Late Bay Brake Shoes Reply with quote

AutoHausAz is now showing a pic of Vanagon brake shoes on the late bus shoe online page. I emailed them to see what was going on, and I gues they don't
want to discuss it over the webz, so goodbye AHAz.

CIP1 is showing real bus shoes on their website, so I foolishly ordered them, and got Vanagon shoes.

This screwup seems like a very difficult thing for parts vendors to grasp. It takes endless back-and-forth to finally get a return authorization.
I guess that's to be expected from people selling parts they know nothing about. Even Bus Depot has stopped using VW part numbers, and
lists the shoes under ref. #421, so even if they have the correct image on their website, you really can't tell what you're getting.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: