Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road trippin to Tucson!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Made it!!! Bus ran amazing, highest head temp we saw today was 380* and the oil sat right at 180* all day. We made the 112 miles from Globe to Tucson in 1/3 of a tank, woot woot! I will post pics later, gotta unload and get ready for the Super Bowl. Let's go Broncos!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Congrats on your safe arrival!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

^Thanks Manfred!

Well..the Broncos victory really makes me smile! Wink

Pics pics pics

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm gonna have to climb these 6&7% grades on the way home.

The pull out of the canyon

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Rich I'm happy your out enjoying the bus as you should! Keep on bussing and inspiring the rest of us

Awesome pics! Gosh that sun looks so inviting.....

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

If you go thru Phoenix on the way home -try the 202 to 87 to Pason and right to Mogollon rim and Heber/Holbrook area. It's a pull up to 7000 ft but not bad after.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Thanks Stu!

WilliamM, I think we are going to head back the same way we came but I am going to map out your suggestion. Mogolon rim just sounds cool! We live at 7700' in Durango the bus would feel right at home at pulling hills at 7000'.

Fun day today. First off it is soooo warm here, freaking 80* out right now with no clouds. I got out pretty early this morning, the bus fired right up and I took the boy to the International Wildlife museum. It was a giant castle looking brick building with hundreds of stuffed/taxidermy animals from all over the world. Cool but kinda creepy at the same time. We were the only patrons so Lil P got to run around all crazy like, he loved it. On the way to lunch a big ass rock was kicked up by an oncoming car and out a huge chip in my windshield, crappy. I put a small sticker on the chip that I got from the glass man when he installed windshield 4 years ago. I'm gonna have to get that fixed tomorrow or I'm gonna need a new windshield. All good though I got glass coverage with a $0 deductible.

As we pulled up to the pizza shop downtown a white '71 tin top Westy was parking across the street. I thought I recognized it from this site. I grabbed the boy and headed over to talk to the guy. He was super cool and his bus was rad! Real clean, no rust, BFGs, running a 2052 with dual Webers and a sidewinder exhaust. Super clean...

I'm gonna go wipe down the bus while the boy is napping. I have a super fun day planned tomorrow with the bus.

Chris' super clean '71 tin top

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Awesome pics wish I was there but can live it in these pics thanks rich
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

That looks like a really fun place to visit, I did not realize the Bronco's fielded a team this year till last night when a near riot broke out in Florence. I like my little rock of denial I live under....
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Brooklyn Pizza, mmmmm good.

I have noticed you have been here before, but not sure what all you have seen...

The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is much better than the Wildlife Museum. They have living animals and is just down the road through Gates Pass. Just north of Old Tucson.

Kitt Peak National Observatory is not far from there either.

Enjoy Tucson.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
Brooklyn Pizza, mmmmm good.

I have noticed you have been here before, but not sure what all you have seen...

The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is much better than the Wildlife Museum. They have living animals and is just down the road through Gates Pass. Just north of Old Tucson.

Kitt Peak National Observatory is not far from there either.

Enjoy Tucson.

Yea, I've been here before. Not only is this our 3rd year coming for the Gem show I use to live here back in 2000. I really like this city, there's just no any good snow boarding close. So I decided to move to Durango. This is the first year my son is big enough to do stuff with so we haven't done very much. I figured the desert museum would be better but I didn't think my son could handle it. The Wildlife Museum was perfect for this year, maybe next year we'll hit the DM. We are going to go to the Reed Park Zoo, he really liked that last year. Our stay is way to short and the 5 days we're here seem to fly by.

Today I crusied around with the window and vent open. Sporting shorts and flip flops, Mission accomplished!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Nice Richie !
Looks like lots of fun. Have a great trip bud..
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Window down in a tee? .....

...that's it I'm moving south.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Window down in a tee? .....

...that's it I'm moving south.

We have 4-60 air conditioning down here-

You missed a great BBB this year- your working to hard.

Don't step in any!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Alright alright alright...the run on the dyno was awesome!!! This morning I went back to the sport tuner shop, PSI and put my bus back on their Mustang Dyno. The operator called it the Heartbreaker, cause it measures the actual weight of the vehicle and applys a drum brake to simulate real world driving. He ran it two times up to 4800 each time. The bus held together and the Numbers were good!

75 Hp with 107 FPT. Looks like peak performance is at 4400 rpm and it drops off after that. I have a video, I gotta figure out how to post it.

He was able to lay this run over my last run, with my 2109, on the same graph. The dotted lines are my last run. The curve looks way better, I'm gonna say that's from removing the Chinese 009 and installing a real one.

Pic of my 2175cc

I got my windshield repaired and covered by my insurance. Once I get some wifi I'll be able to post the videos I took. Smile

I forgot I took this one for skills before I loaded up on the dyno. Looks like a flock of Subie short blocks to me. Wink

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

believe that would be a "gaggle"- or maybe "murder" (like crows.)

Don't step in any!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Video of dyno run

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

What a great sound!! gave me a chill. Sweet! Thanks for sharing
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

^Nothing but a good time Manfred! Wink No responses on the run from the regular guys here, strange...

Another great day here in the 80* desert. This morning I took Lil P. to the Children's Museum downtown. Very similar to the one we have in Durango but twice the size. It was packed with kids, he ran around and had a blast messing around with all the gadgets. Lil P called out Hotdogs for lunch and I had remembered seeing a hotdog stand on Speedway yesterday. I remember my Dad taking me to stands like that when I was a kid and thought I'd be cool for the both of us. Headed there and the stand was not set up yet, weird I thought cause it was lunch time. Oh well, I pulled over and started to look up hotdog stands in Tucson on my phone, as Lil P. is yelling hotdog over and over again...Smile After a few minutes of looking this guy rolls up and asked if we're lost. I tell him the story and he says "you want hotdogs? Go to Pats, it's right down the road" and he drives off. I google Pats, it was less then a mile away. Turns out Pats is a greasy chilidog stand which is a locals favorite, so the over weight Americans eating there told me. As it turned out the Hot dogs, burger and the fries were top notch! I stuffed Lil P. with a ton of food, drove back and put him down for a nap. So now I'm just chillin until either my wife gets back from shopping at the gem show or the boy wakes up. I see some nice cold Tecates in my near future.

I filled up yesterday, I'm down to 17.5 MPG. Lots of stop and go here in Tucson and it's way to much fun to rip the RPMs up to 4K+ in second and third, the exhaust sounds awesome with the windows down. Smile All good, gas is only $1.89/gallon for 91. That's the cheapest I've ever paid for hightest since I've owned this bus (5 years). Yesterday I pulled up to the pump, went to put my card in and the pump was already turned on. So, I started pumping and got $10 of 91 for free, woot woot! That will be the only time I have to put gas in it until we leave on Saturday. Not too bad for a brick being pushed by a stroker.

Children's Museum, The Bone Bus is always happy when it's surrounded by Plam Trees. Wink

Pats meca of grease and hotdogs!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

The trip is looking great and so is that warm weather and sunshine!
On the Dyno, just curious but do they just run it up once like that or a few times?
I've never been to a gem show but have heard of that one. Sounds like a great place to go for kids. Mine love rocks. Have fun! Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:

On the Dyno, just curious but do they just run it up once like that or a few times?

He did 2 passes, they both produced the same data. He seemed concerned about it over heating and wanted to turn it off to let it cool inbetween runs. I stuck my head in and the heads were at 250* and the oil was at 120*. So I told him to run it, he was surprised. I was at the shop for about an hour, they had some bad ass sports cars in there.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 15

Jump to: