Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Road trippin to Tucson!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
He seemed concerned about it over heating and wanted to turn it off to let it cool in between runs.

This always cracks me up. Once I saw an AZ smog ref put the giant fan in front of a bug for emissions testing. You know, to keep airflow going over that there radiator in the front.

I mentioned this to Rich earlier, but I'm curious to hear comments from more modified-engine folks on why his powerband is so similar in shape to stock regardless of the cam and induction choices. The torque and horsepower peaks are in nearly identical spots, albeit much higher. Razz

Robbie
47hp all day long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Might have to look up that dyno you have used. It appears to be less than 10 miles from me. Never had the bus on a dyno before.

The whole attitude of the town has changed for the better with these temperatures. January was cold for us folks in Tucson. Still was able to ride the motorcycle to work all winter though.

Enjoy your stay and safe travels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I mentioned this to Rich earlier, but I'm curious to hear comments from more modified-engine folks on why his powerband is so similar in shape to stock regardless of the cam and induction choices. The torque and horsepower peaks are in nearly identical spots, albeit much higher. Razz

Robbie
47hp all day long.

My thoughts (as one of those modified engine folks)... The reason peak tq and power speeds are where they are on Rich's engine is due to breathing. He's got nearly 2.2L of displacement, but it's coupled with what I'm assuming is unported 044 heads, a very mild cam (with respect to engine size), and a pretty small header and stock heater boxes. Nothing wrong with that, but it will limit how much power the engine makes as RPM increases as airflow is limited. All that's said, he's got a lot of meat where it's needed. Looks like a great match for a daily driver westy.

With some port work, more exhaust, and a venturi change, I'd bet it would pull quite a bit more RPM and make more power (even with the 110).

Nice work Rich! Enjoying the pics of the trip!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Ran across your run with your old engine two years ago to the month.

2/14
richparker wrote:
115? Damn that's high, my 2109 only put out 68 hp with 89 FPT at the wheels at 4k in 3rd. I'm gonna have to bring my 2175 to the Dyno now...

Doesn't look like they strapped it up to good, musta been a bit scary. My westy strapped to a 4 wheel Mustang Dyno in Tucson, AZ in Febuary '14.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2/16
richparker wrote:
Alright alright alright...the run on the dyno was awesome!!! This morning I went back to the sport tuner shop, PSI and put my bus back on their Mustang Dyno. The operator called it the Heartbreaker, cause it measures the actual weight of the vehicle and applys a drum brake to simulate real world driving. He ran it two times up to 4800 each time. The bus held together and the Numbers were good!

75 Hp with 107 FPT. Looks like peak performance is at 4400 rpm and it drops off after that. I have a video, I gotta figure out how to post it.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Robbie
47hp all day long.

Robbie, it's not regardless of cam & induction choices. But because of those choices that the Peaks are where they are. A radical cam and/or 48mm carbs would alter all of the above instantly.

Hotel Congress

’65 Deluxe Build
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

You have there an awesome journey. My family and I will also do a road trip this coming summer. We are planning of going, from Luzon, to Visayas, Boracay, Cebu, Bohol, then, to Mindanao. Although summer is hot here in the Philippines, nevertheless, we are looking forward to doing it! Keep posting your adventures and the pictures! Thanks. Smile
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Robbie
47hp all day long.

Robbie, it's not regardless of cam & induction choices. But because of those choices that the Peaks are where they are. A radical cam and/or 48mm carbs would alter all of the above instantly.

That makes sense to me now. Before your dyno posts, I would have guessed that the 110 cam would produce its peak HP higher up the range and be less useful down that low. I think, because of all my keyboard warrior knowledge of performance engines, I assumed that cam was much further from stock.

Keep up the good trip. Buddy and I will be there in spirit! Popcorn

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Thanks DONGKG, I always love being out on the road with my family. We are creating family memories that none of us will forget.

Robbie, I'm super bummed we're not gonna hook up Sunday for breakfast. So, I'm just gonna have to tell you how good the food was. Wink. Send me your PayPal so I can get money to you for that VS exhaust. I'd like to get it before my bus goes back into the shop next month.

We've just been kicking it the desert for the last two days, nothing too crazy. Took the boy to a city park yesterday morning and had a great lunch at Linda's Mozic Cafe, seriously good Mexican food. Last night we drove 45 min cross town to my buddy's for dinner. Good times and great Vietnamese food, then a 45 drive back to the Cubes (where we are staying). Good friends, good food and 1.5hrs driving in the bus! Today we hit the Reed Park Zoo, which is always a blast. Lil P. ran around all crazy like and loved the animals. After that we had lunch downtown at La Cocina, which is a great little outdoor spot. It hada nice atmosphere, good food, a nice bar, cool shops and Lil P. had a blast. Sounds like we are going to go to Worm Town tonight to do some last minute shopping before we hit the road in the morning. We'll be said to leave Tuscon but it's nice knowing our next visit is only 12 months away...
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

On the road home!
’65 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Safe travels!
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
Safe travels!

X2 Be safe out there!

Great fun watching your travels and hoping I'll get my Bus up and running some day soon to do the same.
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

doublea_ron, you gotta get your bus ready for the Southern San Juan off road trip. Smile

We made it to Show Low. Bus ran well with no issues. Temps varied but never got to high and I did not have to turn the fan on. Had no issues pulling the 7 and 8% grades. We pulled out of the Salt River canyon in 3rd ant 3500, there was plenty left in the pedal but there was no need to push it any harder. We got 20.5 mpg from Tucson to Show Low, just a bit higher then the 15.1 mpg I got on the last tank ripping through Tucson. Smile.

Pics pics pics

’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

We are on the road home, stopped just outside Holbrook to do a bit of shopping.
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

We stopped at a road side attrection place just off I40, what a trip!

We make it to Galuup, NM, the bus just buzzed along. We got our best tank this trip, 146 miles on 6.6 gallons. 22.1mpg!!!
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Made it home!!! The bus ran amazing, got 22 mpg from Gallup to Durango too. Woot woot! Gotta go unload and get ready for work tomorrow. A report and pics will follow.
’65 Deluxe Build
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Glad to hear your home safe!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Made it home!!! The bus ran amazing, got 22 mpg from Gallup to Durango too. Woot woot! Gotta go unload and get ready for work tomorrow. A report and pics will follow.
awesome. How many miles did you cover buddy?
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Thanks Stu and DONGKG, the trip was a blast.

We kinda took our time getting ready this morning while getting ready to leave Show Low and then went out for a nice country breakfast. We were supposed to meet up with samba member Asiab3 this morning but...Unfortunately that did not happen as his plans changed. Bum deal, that was the second time were were supposed to meet, third times gotta be the charm. We decided not to change out route home because my wife wanted to go rock shopping in Holbrook. Turns out all the tourist trap stores on Historic Route 66 in Holbrook are closed on Sunday's. Crazy right? We stopped anyway stretched our legs and got some pics. Once again Google came to the rescue and directed us to Stewarts. Man, that place was a trip. We hung out for awhile and got some cool stuff. Then off to Gallup we went on I40. There was no traffic or wind and we buzzed right along with excellent temps. Stopped in Gallup on 491N for fuel and Google saved the day again. Right across from the gas station was a nice well rated Italian restaurant. We hung out for well over an hour and enjoyed some great food. That's another diamond in the Gallup rough that we found. As I wrote earlier the drive from Gallup to Shiprock is usually crazy windy. But...there was absolutely no wind today just like the trip down! The trip was a blast, we covered a lot of ground and did so many things. Tucson has many attractions to offer tourists and we're already excited to go next year again. Thanks for reading.

Did the whole trip with out lifting a screwdriver, thanks JAD Machine!!!!!!

Rich P.

Trip stats:
Total miles: 1257
Total gallons of gas (91): 59.9
Overall MPG: 20.98, I'm gonna call that 21 Smile
Total oil consumption: ~1/4 Qt
Dyno results: 75 HP 107 FPT

Pics pics pics

Dinosaurs in Holbrook

This place was a total trip...

Az/NM boarder

’65 Deluxe Build
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Nice trip and pix. Glad you made it home ok.
Thanks for sharing
Tcash
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Road trippin to Tucson! Reply with quote

Welcome home, thanks for sharing your trip pics. You are the master of road side attractions! Now go deliver some packages.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 11 of 15

Jump to: