Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

iMohr on a Early Bay
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

Few days ago I came across iMohr's T2 double wishbone setup for Bays.

Curious if anyone's installed one and if so what they think.

From talking to them and other discussions it sounds like even without the beam being narrowed like the Red9 offering it would accept 73+ standard spindles to support disc brakes.

iMohr's answers are a bit...short... so I'm trying to do some additional research for reviews.
pkrboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

red9 beam is standard width and comes with spindles for disc brakes already
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

People here rather buy 6 $50 distributors than a working $200 distributor. Doubt anyone here has dropped 6k rubles or whatever for some suspension.

The pictures they have on the site look like early bay spindles, but as I can recall I think late bay spindles would work. Its just a matter on where the caliper will hit.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
words

I'd rather buy ten $25 distributors, thank you.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

I was thinking seeing Paris France again would be a better value for my money.
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Wholly useless comment without supporting information as to why.
Customers seem to really like the Red9 solution. Useful information would be to compare/contrast why iMohr isn't.

If you are wholly opposed to the idea of a suspension replacement like either company offers then you're certainly wasting everyone's time by replying.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

BlueWeasel wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Wholly useless comment without supporting information as to why.
Customers seem to really like the Red9 solution. Useful information would be to compare/contrast why iMohr isn't.

If you are wholly opposed to the idea of a suspension replacement like either company offers then you're certainly wasting everyone's time by replying.

Ok - 500.000 miles driven in bays and they drive smoother than any modern car I've had other than several mid-1990's Acura Legends. Current daily driver is a new Acura MDX SH-AWD. You'll find that my 1977 Bay with factory brakes stops in the same distance as modern SUV's, and I can out corner most when I am on winding roads. I'd rather see Paris France again than give someone money to tamper with the success that old man Porsche designed. Most any bay owner whose bay is properly adjusted will tell you the same. Find someone with a properly tuned and adjusted bay, drive it, and you'll never think about changing the front suspension like that. Yes they do roll over because of the high center of gravity if they are stiffened too much and no a wishbone doesn't change that. Think about it - VW bay had an IRS suspension before it became popular on sports cars.
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

Doesn't stop me from wanting a lowered vehicle.

Power steering by 'Armstrong' doesn't help my shorter than me wife manage the large steering wheel and no EPAS.

It still comes back to me looking for a compare/contrast vs Red9.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

BlueWeasel wrote:
Doesn't stop me from wanting a lowered vehicle.

Power steering by 'Armstrong' doesn't help my shorter than me wife manage the large steering wheel and no EPAS.

It still comes back to me looking for a compare/contrast vs Red9.

then put it in the lowering thread and not here. Lowering a Bay
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

Have you got a link for the Imehr?

The red nine is a great upgrade, if you don’t want stock.

The perk of a red9 is that ALL the parts are off the shelf VW parts from newer cars, so you can buy replacements right from the dealer.

You can lift and lower some 6 or 8 inches with it as well.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pkrboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

The perk of a red9 is that ALL the parts are off the shelf VW parts from newer cars, so you can buy replacements right from the dealer.

Not quite, the steering rack is T25/vanagon the top ball joint is T25/Vanagon and the shocks are off the shelf. the wishbones and the rest are all custom handmade.

the steering rack makes it very light but not power steering light. If power steering is what/need you want then have a look at Litesteer
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

https://www.imohr.com.br/en/products/7/vw-bus-t1t2-double-aarm-front-suspension
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

pkrboo wrote:

Not quite, the steering rack is T25/vanagon the top ball joint is T25/Vanagon and the shocks are off the shelf. the wishbones and the rest are all custom handmade.

the steering rack makes it very light but not power steering light. If power steering is what/need you want then have a look at Litesteer

I don't think things need to go so far as Litesteer. If that was my concern I've seen others add EPAS at a fraction of the cost.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

What? You can get 10 distributors in Paris for 25 Euros?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

pkrboo wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

You are correct. I meant to say all the WEAR items are off the shelf replaceable. Wink thanks!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
What? You can get 10 distributors in Paris for 25 Euros?
There are books out there that will help improve your reading and comprehension. Cool But seriously folks, that beam does look pretty cool. Maybe when mine rusts out I will get one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

So i'm guessing nobody has one of these then?

Always thought i'd get a Red9 eventually, but am open to other options as have heard the quality of the Red9 kit has gone down recently, might not be true though.
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

I looked hard at it.

Red9 is more expensive but has more that comes with it like the bevel box and late Bay spindles.

I've ordered neither but am considering going with Red9 and moving onto other areas of restoration. I figure I can always sell the beam, spindles, and steering box out of my Early Bay (which all look rather good) and recoup some of the cost.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

Will either of them work for stock ride height?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: iMohr on a Early Bay Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Will either of them work for stock ride height without losing ground clearance?

While the original question is a good one, the part I added in bold is also relevant I think, Depending on what you're doing, stock ride height may not be much good if the lowest point of the suspension is 2-3" off the pavement...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: