Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

61 RHD Coupe Resto - New Zealand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PFN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
Did your country get IRS as standard equipment on manual transmission Type 1 (USA did as of 1969 model year on Beetle and Ghia), or did swingaxles remain on man trans? The easiest would be to find an IRS pan from a Ghia and make the simple body modification (raise up the rear body mounts in the wheelwell about 1.5") to use the IRS pan. But since you've mentioned that Ghias are quite rare in your country, an IRS Ghia pan might not be easy to find.

After 1967 Australasia received only CKD kits from Germany, so we did indeed get swing axle Type 1s. But only two KGs were delivered in 1968, so at best there is (perhaps?) only two swing axle original RHD KGs in the entire place! I'd say grab a US import and use its bits if you're after the modern deal.

(gone now)
1964 RHD Conversion Karmann Ghia
1956 RHD Beetle
1972 Kombi
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've had a couple of good days and a more positive update rather than the usual "look how rusty my car is" update.

This weekend I discovered that the work bench that was in my garage when I bought the house was infested with Borer (woodworm to us from the UK) and as I knew for a long time it was put together really badly and was impractically narrow and weak.
So the answer was to utilise a load of spare timber I had floating around after building a deck a few summers ago and build a new one, this time bigger, stronger and better.

So after a couple of hours with a drop saw, nail gun, ramset bolts and a level I have a new 3000 x 1000 bench with enough space and strength to work on same heavy gear and at a good height for me.
Now I just need to fit my vice, bench grinder and a shadow board

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The next good thing is my heater channels and rockers showed up from CIP1 in record time, just 4 days from order to sitting in my garage, not bad as they came halfway around the world from Surrey BC.

In short they look good, good strong steel and have all the elements to make it an easy install including captive nuts etc.
The heater channels are J.P Group from Denmark and the rockers are Klokkerholm.

I've added a few photo's of them for reference as I couldn't find much detail on the net.
As noted in a separate post the channels are of a later design so have the more angled profile and vents further back, it becomes quite obvious when you compare them and I much prefer the earlier rounded profile to the later ones....but I will just have to live with it.

Later this week I expect my panel clamps, cleco pins and a air flanger/puncher tool to show up from the US, then my air cut off tool and air nibbler to show up from a little closer to home and then its all on!!

If anyone has any questions about or want any detail photos of the integrated channels please ask and I'll en-devour to answer.

Hopefully my next posts will be more informational and perhaps a step by step on how to install the channels (will have to practice on the first one of course Rolling Eyes )
63 New Zealand Spec Beetle - Going Baja!
86 T25 Westfalia - Family Fun car
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFN wrote:
Rome wrote:
Did your country get IRS as standard equipment on manual transmission Type 1 (USA did as of 1969 model year on Beetle and Ghia), or did swingaxles remain on man trans? The easiest would be to find an IRS pan from a Ghia and make the simple body modification (raise up the rear body mounts in the wheelwell about 1.5") to use the IRS pan. But since you've mentioned that Ghias are quite rare in your country, an IRS Ghia pan might not be easy to find.

After 1967 Australasia received only CKD kits from Germany, so we did indeed get swing axle Type 1s. But only two KGs were delivered in 1968, so at best there is (perhaps?) only two swing axle original RHD KGs in the entire place! I'd say grab a US import and use its bits if you're after the modern deal.

This is veering off topic but it is my understanding that Karmann Ghia's were only built in two spots on the face of the Earth.

In Germany by Karmann and in Brazil.

Never a Ghia CKD shipped to anywhere. The CKD's were Beetles saving on complete unit import duties, "building" them in the Nation of intended sale.

To the OP...... Fantastic work! I'm hooked and please do a rocker step by step focusing on how the rocker attaches to the body itself. This area is so frequently glossed over in most threads.

It's "there it is all welded in!"

Thanks!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PFN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
PFN wrote:
Rome wrote:

This is veering off topic but it is my understanding that Karmann Ghia's were only built in two spots on the face of the Earth.

In Germany by Karmann and in Brazil.

Never a Ghia CKD shipped to anywhere. The CKD's were Beetles saving on complete unit import duties, "building" them in the Nation of intended sale.

To the OP...... Fantastic work! I'm hooked and please do a rocker step by step focusing on how the rocker attaches to the body itself. This area is so frequently glossed over in most threads.

It's "there it is all welded in!"

Thanks!

Dave

You are absolutely correct. KGs were only ever built at the Karmann factory and at the subsidiary factory in Brazil. How did KGs end up in Australasia? With our incredibly restrictive government automotive import policies of the 1960s, only local production of Type 1 Sedans could give Volkswagen "credits" which enabled VW to import KGs. Even then they had to have elements which were installed locally. '60 and 61' were the years when KGs were imported in the greatest numbers. It coincides with the build up to majority local manufacture of Type 1s in 1962.

CKD kits for Type 1s in Australasia were indeed saving on duties in the pre-'62 and post '67 periods. From '62 to '67 we manufactured the Volkswagen in Australia, as very, very few countries in world can claim to have done.

(gone now)
1956 RHD Beetle
1972 Kombi
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new workspace it looks good. You will be amazed at how quickly you will fill your work bench and soon it will be too small again Smile
Just human nature I guess. Surprised
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dean, You can do a practice run installing your rockers before coming round to do mine!

The second time is always better, isn't it?
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a new/old 1200cc motor today to replace the 1600cc it came with as i want it to go back to stock until I can afford to build something a little more powerful and also afford the $1000 for spindles and discs, the engine was picked up on a local auction site for $150.

So I've taken a couple of pics of the engine code which I read as a 62 1200cc and also the carb which is a PICT2 and It looks like the original car was a Australian one as the carb has VW Australia on it.

But beyond it being a 62 1200cc all I know is it had the valves reground and replaced with stainless steel and had new rings a year or so ago and a couple of the cooling fins are broken, the PO (a mechanic) told me he removed it to swap with a more powerful unit.

Can anything more be read from these codes as I see WC stamped below the numeric code and a VW stamp with what I make out to be 2H69 written below it.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dean, About your Australian carb. I think Australia had import restrictions to protect the local car manufacturing industry at the time and a certain percentage of the car had to be "Australian". The percentage was calculated either by weight or by value.

Nicholas may be able to elucidate.

We had the same in South Africa. They called it the "local content" programme. I'm not sure of its effect. In SA the car manufacturing business is going from strength to strength - Merc C Class, BMW 3-series, all manner of VW, Toyota, to name a few, with about 400 000 RHD cars being exported each year. In Australia, both Holden and Ford appear to be closing down.

The difference in their fortunes might be due to the cheaper labour over in SA, just as it is for us in restoring our Ghias. The more work we can do ourselves, the better.
PFN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Hi Dean, About your Australian carb. I think Australia had import restrictions to protect the local car manufacturing industry at the time and a certain percentage of the car had to be "Australian". The percentage was calculated either by weight or by value.

Nicholas may be able to elucidate.

We had the same in South Africa. They called it the "local content" programme. I'm not sure of its effect. In SA the car manufacturing business is going from strength to strength - Merc C Class, BMW 3-series, all manner of VW, Toyota, to name a few, with about 400 000 RHD cars being exported each year. In Australia, both Holden and Ford appear to be closing down.

The difference in their fortunes might be due to the cheaper labour over in SA, just as it is for us in restoring our Ghias. The more work we can do ourselves, the better.

We very much did have high import tariffs in the 50s, 60s and 70s. That's the only thing which made local VW manufacture viable. From what I recall, engine components were one of the last parts of the vehicle to achieve majority local manufacture in the later 60s, and even then not entirely.

I'd really love to know more about SA VW operations, especially given the close origins of both under Baron von Oertzon with Volkswagen Export Division Africa-Australasia, based in Johannesburg.

(gone now)
1956 RHD Beetle
1972 Kombi
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So progress has been a little slow, winter has come and the nights draw in quickly so I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark and can't do anything on the car after 7 as my kids are in bed and my workshop is below the house.

Anyway the big step forward is the car is now on the rotisserie which is fantastic, the accessibility it gives you is well worth the additional time and money to set it up.

A couple of weekends ago I started stripping out the right heater channel and rocker, to help this along I started by removing the rear quarter replacement panels that someone had installed a few years ago and of course the theme of terrible workmanship continued.

I decided a good approach would be to use a cutting disk on a grinder to slice along just under the "welds" holding the panels on, then with an air chisel cut along the welds connecting the panels to the rocker/heater channel seam.
What I found quite quickly was whoever did the welding didn't get any penetration and 90% of the welds just popped off, good for me of course.

I also decided to cut the rocker off as I couldn't get the wiring loom to pull out so I thought an investigation and gentle persuasion was needed.
Guess what I found? yup someone had screwed the wiring loom into place at 7 locations when they replaced the rocker and the wiring loom appears to have been damaged and botched back together with insulation tape and hope.

Anyway I've removed the dogleg and have welded in new plates where I found perforated steel, I've also welded up the A post which as you can see was pretty rotten.

This weekend the plan is to remove the remainder of the heater channel and weld in the new one and use some of the removed section to repair the floor pan bolt sections that are rusty in other non heater channel places.

If all goes well I'll do a video of the left side when I do it, this side was a test to see if I still had my panel beating mojo and I'm happy to say my mojo is alive and kicking, but sorry to say the fella who did the previous work had no mojo.
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have covered this in an earlier post, but unless they changed it from earlier cars, the wiring loom would have originally run inside the car, tucking under the aluminium kick plates on the door sills. (just in case you were thinking about putting it back in the sill !)
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl4x4 wrote:
You might have covered this in an earlier post, but unless they changed it from earlier cars, the wiring loom would have originally run inside the car, tucking under the aluminium kick plates on the door sills. (just in case you were thinking about putting it back in the sill !)

I'm not so sure, mine has the clips, holes and grommets to pass through the inner fender up near the bulkhead, down the a post and into the rocker and is in that weird age range between the lowlights and the more modern Ghias and would have likely had a tube running through the rocker also as it shares the same heater channel as the low lights which changed in 62.
I cant see the PO who appeared to be notorious for terrible repair work going to all the trouble of relocating it, more likely abandon the old rusted cable tube and screw it back into place.

Here's a photo of Rlobo71s 1960 Ghias rocker

I'm no expert of course so would love to know if my thoughts are right.
antdavison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, I am also in Auckland, and interested in a pair of stainless bumpers for my 66 ghia ... did you purchase a set ... can i come and have a look if you did, or if not, maybe include me in a group buy ... thanx
davison[dot]antony[at]gmail[dot]com
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very little time in the last couple of weeks to work on the car, work has been very demanding and my kids even more so.

So this weekend I thought I'd have a go at something a little less labour intensive so I'm rebuilding my 28PICT, sadly I found that the ceramic choke is stuffed, after a bit of research I found that new replacements are expensive however the real death of the carb is that the choke won't work on 12v anyway which I'm converting to....now I need to add a 28PICT-1 or better to my shopping list Sad

The replacement 1200cc is on the engine stand and I'm starting to clean it up, I'm debating about taking it apart and rebuilding it or leave it and take the PO's word that he put new valves etc in a couple of years ago and hope that its ok.

On the positive side the right hand heater channel is in place and all the metal it connects to has been replaced as it was all rust and my new wheel arches will be delivered tomorrow, now I have to phone and get a certifier to sign off my repairs and agree what I will have to do to repair the structural rust, sadly you can't scratch your ass here without paying someone hundreds of $'s and getting government sign off.

Photos to come next week.
racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making progress there Mr fop, have a question for you.
Was your car de registered / lapsed? Cert guy will only be needed if lapsed / de registered and you'll also need to be a certed welder to do the repairs yourself.
Big pain in the ass with that rule change, they are getting more silly by the day.
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise mate, your carpets are looking amazing.
My car lapsed so will need to go through the whole recert, I'll have a chat with the certifier as I've read the thing about needing to be a certified welder before \ but none of the compliance folks I've spoken to have mentioned it when I explained what I was doing, most were just really interested in the car, I'll see what the certified says.
Short of that I'll have a chat with my neighbor who I believe is a certified welder and see if he can sign it off.
The really sad thing is that if I can't get my own welding signed off and certified then NZTA have just killed a classic car as I can't afford to have a certified welder do the work and I doubt very much that its even worth it financially.

NZ government keep doing this BS and all it does it push unsafe practices underground and make people take risks, I'd suspect 75% of house modifications that need sign off by council don't get it as people can't afford to pay thousands of $ for council approval.
I know why they do it but the approach is often far from pragmatic, I just hope those who apply it are a little more sensible.
racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFop wrote:
Likewise mate, your carpets are looking amazing.
My car lapsed so will need to go through the whole recert, I'll have a chat with the certifier as I've read the thing about needing to be a certified welder before \ but none of the compliance folks I've spoken to have mentioned it when I explained what I was doing, most were just really interested in the car, I'll see what the certified says.
Short of that I'll have a chat with my neighbor who I believe is a certified welder and see if he can sign it off.
The really sad thing is that if I can't get my own welding signed off and certified then NZTA have just killed a classic car as I can't afford to have a certified welder do the work and I doubt very much that its even worth it financially.

NZ government keep doing this BS and all it does it push unsafe practices underground and make people take risks, I'd suspect 75% of house modifications that need sign off by council don't get it as people can't afford to pay thousands of $ for council approval.
I know why they do it but the approach is often far from pragmatic, I just hope those who apply it are a little more sensible.

When it comes to NZTA sensible isn't in their vocabulary unfortunately, the sad thing is that a lot of us "backyarders" often do a far better job of panel steel repairs than certified welders do (and a certifier told me that!)
Unfortunately you'll find that the cert guy will need a welding ticket number for his paper work..............in the end its not the car that matters, rather the paper work.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoguy wrote:
TheFop wrote:
...The really sad thing is that if I can't get my own welding signed off and certified then NZTA have just killed a classic car as I can't afford to have a certified welder do the work and I doubt very much that its even worth it financially.

NZ government keep doing this BS and all it does it push unsafe practices underground and make people take risks....

When it comes to NZTA sensible isn't in their vocabulary unfortunately...
Unfortunately you'll find that the cert guy will need a welding ticket number for his paper work..............in the end its not the car that matters, rather the paper work.

I've been through this twice with them when I imported my son's Toyota Yaris - European spec, 7 airbags, multiple safety features beyond NZ requirements - and later tried to import my wife's identical Yaris.

This is a good place if you want to create meaningless jobs for meaningless people doing tasks that are devoid of substance. It reduces the unemployment numbers, breeds votes for your party, and increases the national budget allocation for "services".

I'm going to see a few people today to make sense of their requirements. You guys have caused a sleepless night over here.
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racoguy wrote:

When it comes to NZTA sensible isn't in their vocabulary unfortunately, the sad thing is that a lot of us "backyarders" often do a far better job of panel steel repairs than certified welders do (and a certifier told me that!)

I can't say too much as I have NZTA on my business card, although I don't deal with vehicles but the infrastructure. : Rolling Eyes

I had a chat with a very experienced VW mechanic on Saturday and he commented similarly about body repairs in that a "hobbyist" will often do a better job of a restoration than a panel beater doing a repair for a warrant/cert, as the hobbyist has the incentive to take their time and do a good job and go further.
Sadly when you're on the clock and have a backlog of works worth $'s shortcuts are often taken and the quality may not be the best, this of course isn't the case for all panel beaters some are very good (I've worked with both types), of course I was an absolute angel and did everything perfectly back in the day.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we're going to have to talk this through to come up with a game plan that will see both our cars being certified. I've been to see Ted, who tells me that he is not a certified welder, so I now have to find one to do the structural welding under the eye of a certifier from VTNZ.

I need someone who will do the welding using their equipment for not more than $50 an hour (inclusive of GST). But where to find such a person.

There are things I think (hope) we could be allowed to do ourselves, such as the doors and the hood and the rear deck-lid. Perhaps even the wings.

Perhaps we could meet at the club on Thursday evening. Otherwise I could come in to shout you lunch on Thursday, at about 2pm. My wife has to be at Ascot at 3pm.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: