Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd start with VW's recommended tire pressures for your van: 40 psi front & 48 psi rear.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I can't make sense of my 3 choice sticker, and because those are numbers many people here say, that's the PSI I've gone with historically. However following all the calculations in this thread gave a lower tire pressure due to the higher load rating; it appears the lower PSI available for one of the tires listed on the 3 choice sticker was lower for the same reason; it had a higher load rating.
garthg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: 2002 Eurovan tires Reply with quote

I haven't yet read this entire thread, but I'm putting in my 2 cents.

I most recently bought tires about 2 years ago. OEM Michelins are NLA, and Tire Rack offered nothing in the right size and load rating. (225/60-16, XL rated).

Eurosport Tires in Paramus NJ was able to order Vredestein Quatrac 3's which met all size and load rating specs. I don't recall price, but they seemed reasonable at the time. Traction is excellent in the snow.
david2676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: BFG 's Reply with quote

That I would put my review in ,

Recently I went to America's tire - they refused to put on BFG's AT 14" they claimed it did not meet Vw specifications. they claimed they need to protect the public from my putting on a tire that would cause danger to the general public. The tire they recommend is a C or 6 ply the BFG is a D or 8 ply its in may ways a superior tire.
I found another dealer and for $625 I had 4 BFG AT installed, I have to admit I like the look better and the ride immediately feels better. I am not sure how to explain it but it tracks better and responds to steering in put a bit better. They look bigger I was worried they might rub in a tight corner so far I cannot find a time the tire will touch any part of the wheel.
BFG's are more expensive of the tires. I am glad I spent the money I have AT on my 4runner. For whatever the reason i have never gotten a flat on a BFG tires. They do not seem to pick up nails as easy.

Does anyone have any suggestions on tire pressure using BFG AT ? I currently have them at the vehicles suggested pressure but the tire allows to 60 lbs. 60 lbs would make the tire roll a bit easier.

also will they fit in the spare tire holder ? They look bigger than a stock tire ?

* The dealer who I know thru a friend of a friend mentioned as I was leaving they normally see around 80,000 miles on BFG AT. * For me that alone makes it work the extra money*
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a camper id start at 60 rear 50 front and work down to a comfort level, but nearly everyone i meet likes the instant control boost it provides. Minimum would be 35 front and 45 rear.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Any Reccos for who still makes an adequate 205/70R14 size LT or XL or RF tire for the OE 14" Factory Alloys on our 1988 Westy?

I'm not seeing some of the prior ones from just a year ago now!

NO wheel changes & up-sizes please - just what are good choices available now on the stock 14" alloys!

TIA! Popcorn
Tom
///////
1970 Eriba Puck & 1960 Avion T20
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 195R14s as they are only a tiny bit taller than the 205/70/14s.
Tom_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Randy, but I'm trying to stick with the 205/70R14 OE tire size if at all possible.

I found these Bravo Series UE-168(N) - 205/70R14 from Maxxis Tires, which I run their ST tires on our vintage 1960 Avion T20 trailer (like an Airstream) & they're really good tires on trailers....

Question Anyone use them??

Bravo Series UE-168(N) - 205/70R14C 102/100Q 8PR BSW
25.4" diameter 8.3" section width 54 psi max 1874 lbs max
6" Rim 14/32 tread depth

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-227-104-bravo-series-ue-168%28n%29

I'm going to check on local availability here in OC SoCal, since they seem like they're + rated over either the 205's on alloys or taller 185's on steel wheels.

TIA Popcorn
Tom
///////[/b]
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_T wrote:
Question Any Reccos for who still makes an adequate 205/70R14 size LT or XL or RF tire for the OE 14" Factory Alloys on our 1988 Westy?

I'm not seeing some of the prior ones from just a year ago now!

NO wheel changes & up-sizes please - just what are good choices available now on the stock 14" alloys!

TIA! Popcorn
Tom
///////

At Mavis Tire I found Gremax Capturars, an all-season tire, in 205/70R14 that are XL rated at 98.

I may well be getting a set very soon. The summer highway tires on the van now are utterly useless in any snow or ice.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_T wrote:
Thanx Randy, but I'm trying to stick with the 205/70R14 OE tire size if at all possible.

I found these Bravo Series UE-168(N) - 205/70R14 from Maxxis Tires, which I run their ST tires on our vintage 1960 Avion T20 trailer (like an Airstream) & they're really good tires on trailers....

6" Rim 14/32 tread depth

I'm going to check on local availability here in OC SoCal, since they seem like they're + rated over either the 205's on alloys or taller 185's on steel wheels.

TIA Popcorn
Tom
///////[/b]

And these (Maxxis UE 168s) are the tires I am looking to take off the van. They are fine on dry or wet roads, so they might work well in SoCal for you.
Tom_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zak99B5 wrote:
Tom_T wrote:

6" Rim 14/32 tread depth

TIA Popcorn
Tom
///////[/b]

And these (Maxxis UE 168s) are the tires I am looking to take off the van. They are fine on dry or wet roads, so they might work well in SoCal for you.

Thanx Zak!

Were the Maxxis UE168's good running & stable in crosswinds & 18-wheelers going by??

I'm removing a set of Sunny 205/70R14 98T XL with lots of tread, but need new due to age & sidewall/tread cracking starting, which ran well & quiet.

However, they were a bit wobbly in crosswinds & when 18 wheelers zip by! So I'm thinking that these Maxxis LT tires for a heavier load rating & sidewalls will e stiffer & more stable.

And I do have cable chains for them if we go up in the local mountains in them, which I had to use on the prior 185/steel wheels setup before with the factory OEM 185 Michelins way back when they were still available too.

Tom
///////
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_T wrote:

Thanx Zak!

Were the Maxxis UE168's good running & stable in crosswinds & 18-wheelers going by??

I'm removing a set of Sunny 205/70R14 98T XL with lots of tread, but need new due to age & sidewall/tread cracking starting, which ran well & quiet.

However, they were a bit wobbly in crosswinds & when 18 wheelers zip by! So I'm thinking that these Maxxis LT tires for a heavier load rating & sidewalls will e stiffer & more stable.

And I do have cable chains for them if we go up in the local mountains in them, which I had to use on the prior 185/steel wheels setup before with the factory OEM 185 Michelins way back when they were still available too.

Tom
///////

I only made one 3-hour highway trip in the van so far, from where I bought it outside Boston back to Albany. I did notice some buffeting from 18-wheelers, but it was't terrible--certainly not worse than the Baywindow buses I used to own.

Of course, that was a few years ago, and I had zero Vanagon experience before I bought this one. I also didn't check to see if the tires were at full inflation.

Too bad you're not closer, or I'd sell you my Maxxis' OTC.
Tom_T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zak99B5 wrote:
Tom_T wrote:

Thanx Zak!

Tom
///////

I only made one 3-hour highway trip in the van so far, from where I bought it outside Boston back to Albany. I did notice some buffeting from 18-wheelers, but it was't terrible--certainly not worse than the Baywindow buses I used to own.

Of course, that was a few years ago, and I had zero Vanagon experience before I bought this one. I also didn't check to see if the tires were at full inflation.

Too bad you're not closer, or I'd sell you my Maxxis' OTC.

Thanx Zak,

But you might want to put them on a nice set of the 14" factory alloy wheels everybody is selling out of now for great summer tires!

Then use those you're looking at new now for the winter set!

As the original owner of ours with 27 years & 213000 miles on our `88 Vanagon Westy since new - I can say that all Vanagons are tall & so they will buffet - much like a Bay Window - if a little less due to the heavier watercooled set-up, but the stiffer sidewall LT tires of today & those 8 Ply Rated OEM Michelins that VW put on them special when they were new resisted the side sway better.

If I were looking at snow tires, then the 205/70R14 98R XL in Snow/Ice Tires would work fine being a bit more flexible in the lake effects snow you have up there (our son was at Ft. Drum 6/11 - 8/14 & I'm from Pittsburgh, so we know!).

You might want to look a bit further for a snow/ice tire in that size. I saw one come up on one of my google searches, but can't find it now.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom_T wrote:

Thanx Zak,

But you might want to put them on a nice set of the 14" factory alloy wheels everybody is selling out of now for great summer tires!

Then use those you're looking at new now for the winter set!

As the original owner of ours with 27 years & 213000 miles on our `88 Vanagon Westy since new - I can say that all Vanagons are tall & so they will buffet - much like a Bay Window - if a little less due to the heavier watercooled set-up, but the stiffer sidewall LT tires of today & those 8 Ply Rated OEM Michelins that VW put on them special when they were new resisted the side sway better.

If I were looking at snow tires, then the 205/70R14 98R XL in Snow/Ice Tires would work fine being a bit more flexible in the lake effects snow you have up there (our son was at Ft. Drum 6/11 - 8/14 & I'm from Pittsburgh, so we know!).

You might want to look a bit further for a snow/ice tire in that size. I saw one come up on one of my google searches, but can't find it now.

Cheers!
Tom
///////

Well, something similar has crossed my mind--I have a spare set of 15" alloy rims from a Passat. But the cost of spacers, lugs/bolts, and machining the center bores is too much in addition to the cost of a new set of tires right now. But it's the long-range plan to go 15" for summer (road-trip & camping season) wheels and use the 14" for snow tires.
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead with the Gremax Capturar's in 205/70R14 XL 98T. I have only driven a few miles on them, but it's been spitting snow all day and there's no skatiness like with the UE-168s. So, I am pleased with them so far.

However, I cannot recommend you get them at M****, at least not the one in Albany, NY.

I drove in a silent van (well, except for some control arm bushing squeaks) and took home one with noises. As soon as I pulled out of the shop, I heard horrible knocking and rattling as though the front right wheel was going to come off. So I immediately pulled into the next lot. Guy comes with me to listen. Of course he hears it and we return.

Can't see anything wrong, but I notice play at 12:00, indicating the bearing is loose. He pops off the dust cap, and tightens the nut. Reinstalls the wheel.

Now there was nothing at all wrong with my bearings before--I do believe that they loosened them to get me to return for more (paying) work on the car. I have no evidence of this, but I can't imagine how else they got loose.

Anyway, they put the wheel back on and I drive off, but again I hear a knocking with each rotation of the wheel, though not as bad as before, and return immediately. They decide to try swapping the front for the rear tire. I drive off a third time. Again the knocking, but this time a bit louder/longer.

Boiling, I take the vanagon home. I pull off the wheel, and then I notice it--the new wheel weights have rub marks on them! They are fat ones attached to the rim.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I look at the wheel that had been moved back to the rear, and the fat weight is much shorter. So I swap the wheels back and go for a drive.

I decide to go back to M**** again as I am driving. It takes them over 90 minutes to remove the wheels and rebalance them with the sticky weights that go in the barrel of the wheel. I hop in and drive off.....

STILL NOISE! More of a lighter ticking sound, but there. And I am hearing it from the driver's side too. Get home and rock the tire at the top, and I feel the bit of play in the wheel bearing now on the driver's side. It's too dark/cold/late for me to do anything about it now, but tomorrow I will check out the hub nut.

All this brought back a memory that after getting tires there on one of my Passats that on the way home I had a terrible noise from a bent backing plate or something on the front right tire, which was perfectly fine before.

Sorry for the novel.

TL;DR M**** in Albany seems to me to be pretty incompetent, negligent, or fraudulent.
Diesel Hansel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my gowesty 16 x7 steel wheels. I've read all of the tire threads out there, heard every side of the argument, and I'm still very troubled about what tires to put on these puppies.

I have an 82 diesel westy..so not exactly powerful.

Are 215/65-16 out of the question... Should I stick to the 60's..as they are closer to the original tire diameter. 65's just seem to have a lot more options with higher load ratings, etc.

I was being steered toward the "BF Goodrich advantage TA 98t" at "215/65-16" by the guy at the tire shop. He was saying to fill gem to 35ish psi for a nice comfortable ride. Any thoughts?

The side wall seemed rather soft compared to some other options in the 60 size.

I just don't want my engines lack of power to be an issue on hills and 1st gear with the 65's.

Most of the 60's that were available were in the 94-95 rating area, and since they were passenger tires, after the 9% reduction, are mighty close for me to be comfortable??I tend to like things over-engineered.

Please let me know if anyone with a stock suspension, diesel, is running a slightly larger diameter.

Also, any thoughts on the "somitomo htr a/s p01 -- 215/60-16". They have those and they seem to meet the requirements with room to spare..so it is my backup plan if I can't find all of the information I need in the next 36 hours.

The 65's have way more options in general, so I would love to run those unless it will put extra strain on my go kart engine that's in my van. Thanks.. Hope to hear from you

Edit: the revs/mi on the 65's = 770

1983 XR200R
11.8 Horse Power

1977 Motobecane Mobylette
2 Horse Power

1950's Grumman 17'
1 Man Power

1971 Bus (RIP)

Add them all up, and I am getting close to 100 HP
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would share my experience so far with the Hercules Power CV. I installed these on some C280 rims on my Carat. Size is 205/65R16 load index 107/105R, which so far work great. Ride is nice and stable, quieter than the 98XL tires I have on the 14 inch rims and handles bumps really well. Going over speedbumps is no longer a roller coaster ride and cornering doesn't result in that wallowing feeling. I like the deep tread blocks and the stiff sidewalls. They are 26.5" in diameter so a little bigger than stock, but with the 2.2 subaru I haven't noticed it at all. Will update as I get more miles and/or come across anything important.

Update: We had some major storms roll through yesterday. Several inches of rain, winds gusting to 30-40 mph, ponded water on the streets. What would have been a two handed experience with the old tires is now a one hand affair. Only the stronger gusts were noticeable and easily controlled. Turbulence off of semi's wasn't felt at all, but used to be very noticeable. Handled the water with ease, traction was very good.

Last edited by geodude on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
zak99B5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on my new tire 'experience.'

The new flat stick-on weights are also scraping the edges of the caliper carrier. Not a lot of clearance with 14" wheels, I guess. I may just wait for the weights to clearance themselves.

As for the tires, just a few more miles on them, but in a bit of snow. While it's not like my A4 with Quattro and snow tires, the Vanagon drove fine with minimal slippage. So they are performing as I had hoped, at least in winter weather.
boinzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for some advice on a new set of tires for my 2002 EuroVan MV Weekender.

Looking at new wheels, most likely 16x7, unless 17x7 makes more sense in finding the right tire.

Driving this van mostly for road trips within Colorado, so highway, but then some dirt roads to get back into some spots.

I think I want a GoodYear or BFG all-terrain tire, something with a little bit more aggressive tread for performance on those back roads. However, I am open to being educated.

Right now I run 225/60R16.

I will be lifting the van a touch with spacers in the back and torsion bar adjustments, so I'd like to get a little more ground clearance and add to the tire diameter.

Anyone out there gone through this before and can point me in the right direction?

I've been driving myself crazy with the tire rack site, and the tire conversion site, trying to figure out which tire will fit, not be too tall, fit the rim, etc.

Should I be worried about tread width? Some seem too wide, but what do I know?

Am I overthinking it? Confused

Thanks all.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boinzy wrote:
Looking for some advice on a new set of tires for my 2002 EuroVan MV Weekender.

Looking at new wheels, most likely 16x7, unless 17x7 makes more sense in finding the right tire.

Driving this van mostly for road trips within Colorado, so highway, but then some dirt roads to get back into some spots.

I think I want a GoodYear or BFG all-terrain tire, something with a little bit more aggressive tread for performance on those back roads. However, I am open to being educated.

Personally, the BFGs are expensive and have a rep for being poor on ice.
I would look at the Yoko AT/S and the Nokian Rotiiva.
I've got the Rotiivas on now and so far I'm pleased. I run the Yokos on my truck and they have been solid for 50k
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 57

Jump to: