Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks way too close. Is this a 2wd? It looks like you need some spacers to push that out from the upper control arm. Are these the forged CLK rims with offset of ET37 and 7x16 size? Mine have are sitting at ET 31 so 6mm further out from the upper control arm.
hodogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2wd 83.5, forged clk, 37 - It's clearing the arm but not by much. Good thing i didnt go 215. Sorry about the massive pics but my pc is down and the phone has less editing capabilities.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Not quite Reply with quote

hodogg wrote:
So I put these bad boys on one side so far and the tires look pretty close. They're 205 65s so I thought I'd be free and clear on the CLK wheels. Any thoughts besides a need for spacers?

You should be fine. Take a peek at the inner sidewall of the tires after the first few miles, but I don't think you'll have a problem. If it makes you nervous, I can set you up with some thin spacers to give you just a bit more clearance.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before, Nokian WRC 205/65R15. These had a correct load rating, but are no longer made. Very, very good tires, if expensive and a little quick-wearing. True 4-season tire handled snow and heat very well. These were quiet and comfortable to the end.

Replacements. Kumho Road Venture AT51 in 215/75R15. Massive 106 load rating, D sidewall for 8-ply construction. Tire Rack has them with a mail-in rebate, making these a bit of a bargain.

After. These look juuuust right and ride very well. I will report back after they've accumulated at least 10,000 miles.

msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Kumhos or Firestone Destination? Reply with quote

Thank you, Mr. P, for the heads-up, that IS a good price on the Kumhos... Reviews are mixed, but they do look very interesting. It sounds as if they are built to last although some of the reviewers dispute that.

Winston's current set of Agilis on his 86 Audi 5000 Turbo 15" alloy rims are, I discover from Samba searches--at least 10 years old. I bought them in 2007 from Dogpilot (anyone remember him?). He had them for at least two years before he sold them to me and went to 16" BFGs on his Syncro.

The Agilis have no cracks, they show (Michelins!) almost no wear in all that time, and are ABOUT stock 14" wheel height, which has speedometer advantages. They are not at all bad on dirt roads. They roll VERY well, steer well, do great in rain and even mud--and HORRIBLY on ice, I got STUCK on my own block from their inability to grip ice.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2783758

Shocked

I was looking for those Nokian WR Cs... and now you say they are no longer made, which explains the hard time I was having finding them. The other low-cost tires that look appealing right now are the Firestone Defenders, which

1)Are cheap +
2)VERY highly rated on Tire Rack and here on the Samba +
3)Supposedly EXCELLENT on snow +
4)Get flat places if the van sits for a long time--this, from a 2009 post, perhaps that has changed, but AFAIK -
5)Are tall, 27", which actually I LIKE, but which has disadvantages in terms of speedometer and/or mileage. -/+

Thoughts, anyone?

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Apparently, No One Had Thoughts! Reply with quote

Well, I still WANT to go with the Firestone Defenders, but continue to swiver. The latest anxiety is that they are 29" in diameter, while his current Agilis are 26". I don't know think the extra inch and a half of height will be an issue, although I will check before I commit, but I worry about speedometer readings and mileage. Went back to the brilliant opening page on this thread... Brilliant, but there are a LOT of tires not on it... But I see the formula for calculating all that, and I'll have a whack at it.

The only other tires I've found close in size to the Agilis with similarly good reviews are the General Grabbers, which are a lot more expensive. But... if it's an issue of better handling and more accurate instruments...

Went back to the Roadhaus site on tires, no new news there in some time, I don't think folks are updating. And so I wait, worry, and think...

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Apparently, No One Had Thoughts! Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
Well, I still WANT to go with the Firestone Defenders, but continue to swiver. The latest anxiety is that they are 29" in diameter, while his current Agilis are 26". I don't know think the extra inch and a half of height will be an issue, although I will check before I commit, but I worry about speedometer readings and mileage.

The only other tires I've found close in size to the Agilis with similarly good reviews are the General Grabbers, which are a lot more expensive. But... if it's an issue of better handling and more accurate instruments...

Went back to the Roadhaus site on tires, no new news there in some time, I don't think folks are updating. And so I wait, worry, and think...

Best!

We need a little more info to give you good info...
To confirm:
You currently have 26" and want to go 29" ?

Do you have lift springs?
I had 29" and if you have stock springs up front you *will* rub the front tires, especially when turning and entering driveways.
If you are set on 29" I'd recommend you read some of the threads on here about your set-up.
Don't you have a stock engine?
If so I think 29s would be a big mistake at 5000 ft

My recent experience with buying tires sent me to this site below, with a huge selection at very good prices.

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=13...View+Tires
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kumhos or Firestone Destination? Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
I was looking for those Nokian WR Cs... and now you say they are no longer made

Nokian does still make the WRC3: http://www.nokiantires.com/winter-tires/nokian-wr-c3/ ; comes in 205/65R15, 102T, max load 1870 lbs.

msinabottle wrote:
The other low-cost tires that look appealing right now are the Firestone Defenders

Firestone does not have a tire named "Defender", at least, not that I could find (Michelin does, but it's underrated). Perhaps you meant Destination, which has an A/T option? It comes in 215/75/15, which would be the equivalent of the 15" BFG's: http://www.firestonetire.com/tires/destination/destination-at.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Defender Offender Reply with quote

First of all--Thank you for the responses! All it took was for me to be wrong to get information!

Shocked

You're quite right, it's the Firestone Destination LE2.

Quote:
We need a little more info to give you good info...
To confirm:
You currently have 26" and want to go 29" ?

Actually, I don't WANT to go to 29" but...

Winston's current tires are Michelin Agilis in 205/65R15C, Tire Rack gives their diameter as 25.9"

I had in mind the Firestone Destination LE2 in 215/75R15, Tire Rack gives their diameter at 27.7" That's nearly 2" more in height, I don't know where I got the 29" figure. So Winston would rise an inch.They weigh 26 lbs apiece and are rated at 1742 lbs capability. They are $91.10 apiece

I don't need TRUE ATs, I need a tire that can manage off road for not long and won't, like the Agilis, provide NO TRACTION AT ALL on ice. Something good on dust or a muddy dirt road would do me very well.

From comments on this thread, it appears that the WR C doesn't wear very well and it's quite expensive.

The Kumho Road Venture AT 51 in 215/75R15 has a diameter of 27.6", weight capability of 2,095 lbs, and weighs 34 lbs. $108 per before rebate.

Shocked

In other words, the tire from Hell. Rather a lot to tote around. According to Tire Rack (I just had a very good experience with them), the Continental Vanco 4 in 205 is still available, but poorly reviewed...

The Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S 215/70R15 has a diameter of 26.9", a load rating of 1,653, and weigh 27 lbs... They are currently $95 less rebate, and I have heard good things about Yokohama... They are highly rated. Hmmm...

I seek that tire which is not too much bigger than stock on a 15"Audi 5000 Turbo rim, good on ice, mud, and dusty dirt, rolling well... That's where I am. Since I HAVEN'T said it, what kamzcab86 has put up earns him a place in Vanagon heaven, thank you!... Getting ready to pay my money and take my choice.

Shocked

Best!

Last edited by msinabottle on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Defender Offender Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
I don't need ATs, I need a tire that can manage off road for not long and won't, like the Agilis, provide NO TRACTION AT ALL on ice. Something good on dust or a muddy dirt road would do me very well.
According to Tire Rack (I just had a very good experience with them), the Continental Vanco 4 in 205 is still available, but poorly reviewed...

I don't know how they perform in snow/on ice, but I put the Vanco 4-Seasons on my '90 and they've performed very well, including off-road and in rainy weather. FWIW, 10 of those 11 reviews on Tire Rack are from Sprinter owners, and one of those is actually for the Vanco 8; the remaining one review is for an RV. So, I wouldn't go by those reviews alone.

msinabottle wrote:
Since I HAVEN'T said it, what kamzcab86 has put up earns her a place in Vanagon heaven, thank you!...

And I'll update the list when I get a chance.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: ACK! Reply with quote

How I hope that no contusion
Comes from my gender confusion.
Y oh Y, I find complex
No XY, instead, XX!
How my chastened senses whirl,
Boy oh boy, that boy's a girl.
Thus, sincere apology--
The text looked epicene, to me.

Shocked

Oh, good, so the Vancos are back in contention. THE LIST IS NOT SHRINKING!

Best!
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: And Now I Look Again... Reply with quote

More Data...

I had ignored all Michelin Defenders because the consensus was they are too lightly rated. Now I find that there is now a Light Truck rated Michelin Defender RTX in 205/65R15 that has a rating of 1,709 lbs., a diameter of 25.4", a weight of 24 lbs. and rotates 817 times per mile... They sell for $130.31. They would be... lower... than the Agilis.

Wal-Mart offers Continental Vanco Fourseason 205/65R15C that have a rating of 1,874 lbs., a diameter of 24.3", weigh 24.3 lbs. each, for $156

Shocked

and they do not give the revs/mile, nor do I have a formula to figure it and I am tired.

The 205 Yokohama is affordable, but marginal, people, however are getting good results with it. The Firestone is probably too tall. The LTX Defenders are VERY interesting. The Vanco FourSeasons are the very expensive sure thing.

I had no idea this would be so complex.

Shocked

Best!

Last edited by msinabottle on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: And Now I Look Again... Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
More Data...

I had ignored all Michelin Defenders because the consensus was they are too lightly rated. Now I find that there is now a Light Truck rated Michelin Defender LTX in 205/65R15 that has a rating of 1,709 lbs., a diameter of 25.4", a weight of 24 lbs. and rotates 817 times per mile... They sell for $130.31.

Great to know. I'll be sure to add those into the list.

msinabottle wrote:
Wal-Mart offers Continental Vanco Fourseason 205/65R15C that have a rating of 1,874 lbs., a diameter of 24.3", weigh 24.3 lbs. each, for $156

My local Discount Tire price-matched Tire Rack's price for the Vanco 4's, despite having to special order them ($136... still not inexpensive, but $20 cheaper than Wal-Mart, amazingly enough).
2016 Golf GTI S
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're wanting to stay at 205/65 I'm seeing several choices with good weight ratings ( 99 XL ) for a reasonable price.

Nokian Entyre with a 99 XL rating, 75 $ and free shipping, even cheaper at 71 $ if you were to go up in diameter a little with a 205/70, and free shipping.

The Cooper, sumitomo, and falken ziex all are 99XL , and
are only 57$, 57$, and 65$ respectively. Plus shipping though on those. Do they have bad recommendations from folks?

Seems like better options than 150 $ anyways. ...
gonna see life my way

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with all the terrific information in this thread, the confusion just does not go away. I'm looking for tires to fit CLKs now and most local tire places have nothing to fit, and I have been to several looking to spend my money locally if I can. One place can order the Vanco 2 and one other can only find winter tires in the XL rating. Online, looks like the Sumitomo might be the best bet in 215-60/16 99XL. 26.1" diameter and 811 revs/mile. I'd prefer the 205-65/16 in the same tire but it only has a 95 rating. I've found this to be the case with tires from other manufacturers. Madness!
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running Hercules (Cooper Brand) Power CV 205/65R16 Load Range D for about a year and like them. The local commercial tire place ordered and mounted them for me. The typical general public oriented stores were clueless and couldn't find anything that had the correct ratings. The commercial truck places turned out to be a great place to go.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to ask for help in searching for posts on the samba for 17 inch tire solutions.

I posted on this thread sometime earlier this year on the results of tires I found that are R17 but I am still uncertain. As such I'm interested in reading what others have done but when I search google or use this forums search function the hits are very scarce and not very informative.

I know some folks use the Porsche twisted 18" rims, and a lot of folks stick to R15 or R16. My 89 full westy is stock (orig motor, shocks, springs). (I mention the Porsche rims because I feel like 17" rims must be too strange...but then others go even bigger)

So anyways, anyone have some advice on how to perform a better "search"? Or if you have R17, what you went with and your experience.

Thanks
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Levi! Reply with quote

Thank you for the input, levi, you're kind to chip in.

The Sumitomos do, in fact, get mixed reviews--low tread life. Not much on their snow performance...

Nokian cLine Van Tires are Load Index C, and come in 205/65/15-- for $153 a piece, not much data on them... They are called a 'Summer' Van tire...

No reviews on the Entyre 2, the ones I found were $116... I can find your tires for the U.S. market, but they seem more expensive than your figures...

Discount has the Falken Pro G4 A/S for $95, they get pretty good ratings, but the tread warranty is less than the Michelins. Discount Tire did me one in the eye on Winston, I hate doing business with them:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6254292

I did find the 205/65-15 DELINTE DV2 102/100T BSW for $55, C rating--NO reviews on Onlinetires.com...

Leaning the most pronouncedly toward the Michelin Defender XLTs. The Agilis wore like iron, they just had TRACTION like iron on ice. I do trust Michelin, and I can save on the delivery charges in that we have a TireRack warehouse in Denver that's not hard to get to.

Keeping an open mind, just now, and hoping for a promotion.

Thanks again, Levi!

Best!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks, Levi! Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:

I did find the 205/65-15 DELINTE DV2 102/100T BSW for $55, C rating--NO reviews on Onlinetires.com...

I had searched that site already and this one did not turn up. This is by far the lowest-priced load rated tire yet, about $20 less than even the Sumitomos and with a greater load index.

*edit*

Unfortunately, both this one and the Nokian Entyre in the following post are 15" tires, not 16".

Last edited by campism on Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=13...p=R-185709
gonna see life my way

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 57

Jump to: