Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Thanks again, Levi! Reply with quote

Thank you, Levi... and at about half the price, that is suddenly a very serious contender. Reviews range to either extreme, but there are repeated comments about wear. That... urges me to the Michelins, but the issue is not decided... It is also vexing that I can't find the width, weight, revolutions per mile on the Entyres ANYWHERE. Michelin was everywhere and I know it's a drop-in.

Growl. Not at you, Levi. I mean, I'm GOOD at searching and JACK SQUAT. That won't do. I think it's the Defender LTX M/S.

For people who want other sizes, ideally, there will be other sizes off the pages we're showing...

And... enter another contender... the Goodyear Cargo Vector 2 M/S 102 BLT, which comes in a 205/65-15. Load rating is 102

http://tinyurl.com/qydjh6n and in Deutsch:

http://tinyurl.com/owqws4n

... where it DOES seem to be an all-weather tire! Goodyear confirms...

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/cargo-vector-2/sizes-specs

and a Goodyear Dealer wants $202... EACH. Online Tire wants $131, a little less than the Michelin Defender LTX. The product name has the M/S 'Mountain/Snow' rating, so Online Tire isn't right to call it a summer tire.

Amazon's got it:

http://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-cargo-vector-All-Season-Radial/dp/B00QJ6WCJ6

So there's another contender for the 15" --three sizes there, no other radius, though. Apparently they're popular in Europe.

Saturday the 17th I called that Car Radio show I listen to, they said the LTX Defender was an excellent tire and I should buy NOW while oil and thus tires are cheap. I did. I'll pick them up Tuesday, and hopefully get 'em mounted next week. To show you all how much I HATE Discount Tire, I chose Tire Rack even when Discount was offering a $70 rebate card on the purchase of four Michelins. IT'S NOT AS IF THEY'D MOUNT THEM FOR ME!

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Winston gets it in the... Balljoints (VERBOSE!) Reply with quote

Well, I think that the reason even a reputable shop offers a low-cost alignment is that other things... may become apparent when one gets ready to do one.

The first order of business was to pick up the four new Michelin Defender LTX M/S 205/65-15s the Tuesday before, when I was going past the Tire Rack Warehouse in the North Stapleton neighborhood, anyway. A friend had asked me to help him move an air conditioner and help him change the plugs on a Prius, which was... weird, but successful.

A valuable lesson en route! The Saturn felt 'Skittery' on the onramps and offramps, and discussing it with a friend later, I realized that I had left all four of the new Continental True Contacts at 5 lbs. under maximum pressure, and the sticker and manual wanted lower pressure on the rear tires. It was my first high-speed run on them. The next day I bled off 5 lbs. all around and another 4 from the little wagon's rears. I haven't had her up to speed since, though.

Anyway, as they'd been two weeks previously when I got the Saturn's new tires, Tire Rack was on it, friendly, and fast. I got to watch van after van from Dealerships and A LOT of 'Big O' tire shops pulling in to load up while I picked up the Michelins. I would say that if you can buy from Tire Rack and pick them up yourself, you are cutting out the middle man and saving a lot, if you can find someone to mount and balance them.

The Michelin Defender LTX M/S looked GOOD. Great tread, heavy construction, and recently made, May of 2015. I will no longer be terrified at the thought of driving Winston on slick roads. One nice thing about getting a new tire DESIGN is that it's hard to get an old tire that way. From my friend's house, I called this company:

Jeno's Auto Service, Inc.
3593 West Bowles Avenue
Littleton, CO 80123
303-794-6700
http://www.jenosautoservice.com

who had already agreed to mount the tires and give Winston an alignment, and asked if I could leave the tires there overnight so I wouldn't have to unload and load them into Winston. They were fine with that, and had a dolly out waiting for me. A good start, indeed.

I got Winston ready and out of the door before 8 in the morning on the 21st, and got him down there in pouring rain--just the time to do suspension work and tires! I did my best to avoid deep puddles and kept him slow, the 10-year old Agilis doing just fine on our last ride together. I parked him on the crowded lot behind the one vehicle that had to pull out 10 minutes later, which showed some good driving and some 'PLEASE DON'T HIT IT!' anxiety on my part, unjustified.

I was ready to wait for hours if I had to, to be there for questions and to watch if possible--John, the Service writer, and Dana, the scheduler, were nice enough, but busy, and I left them to work as I waited. The owner, Steve Horvath, came out and became friendly and a bit chatty when he knew I belonged to the Vanagon, his family goes way back with VW and he knows my main mechanics, the Brothers Blazer, quite well.

My mechanic the first day (THERE'S foreshadowing!) was a nice enough fellow named 'Franz', how appropriate for a German machine, who fairly quickly bade me come out to the service bay to hear the bad news. I hadn't wanted bad news. He took Winston's front wheel as Winston sat on the lift and moved it out and in. The wheel had about five inches or so of play. He said the upper ball joints were completely shot, and the lower ball joints were on their way out. He couldn't align him. He considered Winston unsafe to drive as he was, and what did I want to do?

Well, Jeno's has a good reputation--they'd flushed the Saturn's cooling system with the new Gates pulsing tool, and that had gone well enough. I also appreciated Franz's willingness to let me use his nearby terminal (we live in the age of computerized mechanics!) to come here to the Samba and learn that:

1)Ball joints are ROUGH to do oneself, JoeTiger, local, and a friend, had had A TIME OF IT the week before...
2)Our vans are at the age when the balljoints go,
3)How much the job was costing other people and...
4)That it is hard to find shops with the necessary equipment and know-how, and Jeno's had both. The original owner, Steve's brother, owns a Syncro.

John, the service writer, estimated $1,500.

Shocked

But... that wasn't too far out of line with what I found here, there's a 2 year/24,000 mile parts and labor warranty at Jeno's and their local network of dealers, and Steve Horvath, the owner, knew Vanagons.

I took the hit. I'd get the alignment with the new upper and lower ball joints, and new control arm bushings, and I remembered also that Jeno's offers an AAA Discount (don't forget that use for your card, folks!) up to $50. John also said that they'd need to pack the front bearings, $80, but, it was, again, the time and place to do that.

Franz also had some other things he wanted to talk about--he couldn't believe I was replacing the Agilis, the tread was VERY deep, until 1)He saw the age on the back side and 2)They CLACKED when he bounced one of them on the concrete floor.

Shocked

He had no problem with Christopher Schimke's studs, the spacers, or my beautiful Audi TT5000 rims, except that the plastic hub caps were all coming loose--he suggested drilling a screw into place to hold them on, or using removable adhesive to hold them on, we decided to try the adhesive first. So far so good... But it all boiled down to Winston needed to overnight at Jeno's.

I was quite clear that I needed Winston back by Thursday evening for my last usual (stealthy) 2-night camp-out of the year, they committed to that, and John was quite insistent (as the rain poured down) that they lend me a car to get home and back again. I soon found myself in an older Mitsubishi Mirage, instructed in how to adjust the seat, and driving home. It was a nice enough car, but utterly poopless. Yes, I, a Vanagon driver, said that.

Shocked

No call all day Thursday--from them. I called them twice! The first time was on Wednesday, when I called, got Steve, and begged them (having been browsing the Samba!) to grease all four joints heavily before installing them, Steve promised gently that they would. That evening I e-mailed them the 'How to Align a Vanagon' article from the GoWesty library, to be found here:

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=1113

and begged them to give it to Franz if it wouldn't offend him. They did use it, and no one was cranky. At no time did anyone but me use the word 'Pest' or 'Helicopter Vanagonaut.'

I finally called them at 4:30, when I had but an hour to get down there (and I feared it would take that long in the Mirage!) and retrieve Winston. All was QUITE well, they'd just been very busy. John told me that:

1)Franz had taken sick, but
2)Steve himself had done the work and
3)That he had had no difficulty and
4)Had painted my control arms just to be nice and
5)The new tires were on, and looked very good, and so were the old plastic Audi hubcaps, held in place with an adhesive called Tack-Putty or strip caulk.

So far they've stayed on. The 80's-vintage plastic tabs that hold the caps on is going the way of so much other 80's plastic.

Shocked

The best news was that with the discounts on the alignment and my AAA membership, the total came to $1,186.69. I as of now have no complaints at all. They did use Delphi ball joints, but Steve DID lube them, and they ARE under warranty. I would have thanked Steve in person, but he had finished Winston and jetted off to a family event in Iowa.

Shocked

I returned the Mitsubishi, (It was glad to be home), paid John and drove Winston carefully home. He seemed quite happy with the new Michelins, although the worse thing I had to test them on was wet leaves. He did seem to steer well, which got quite a test over that weekend in a parking garage and when I parked him--not QUITE for the Winter--back in his own garage.

Winston seems to like his new tires.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hodogg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Even with all the terrific information in this thread, the confusion just does not go away. I'm looking for tires to fit CLKs now and most local tire places have nothing to fit, and I have been to several looking to spend my money locally if I can. One place can order the Vanco 2 and one other can only find winter tires in the XL rating. Online, looks like the Sumitomo might be the best bet in 215-60/16 99XL. 26.1" diameter and 811 revs/mile. I'd prefer the 205-65/16 in the same tire but it only has a 95 rating. I've found this to be the case with tires from other manufacturers. Madness!

I'm fairly certain my Entyres (205/65R16) are 99XL. They were $497 out the door (mounted, balanced, taxes, etc).
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

We have received word that the venerable Hankoook RA08 is no more. We still have supply at this time but will not be getting any more once they're gone. This is one of the few high quality all-season highway tires available in a 185R14 and 195R14 size (for Vanagons with stock steel or alloy wheels). Most of the others are either summer-only (the Continentals and Yokohamas), have aggressive off-road tread (BFG or Goodyear) or are of questionable quality (various no-name Chinese tires). In my opinion the RA08 is/was the best 14" Vanagon tire out there, by a pretty good margin. I hope that Hankook will bring in the similar foreign-market RA18 instead, but even if they do it's pricier and there's no telling if they'll have it in this size. Meanwhile I am snagging a set of RA08's to put aside for my own Westy before they're gone.

Links:
http://busdepot.com/RA08 185R14
http://busdepot.com/RA08195 195R14
Either size is $99.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Looking for advice on a snow tire (or Nokian winterish) that will be narrow enough to still accept chains (or cables) on 15" 6.5"w, ET37 wheels, 2WD 84 westy.
Am I going to need spacers to ensure chains will fit?
I've used chains on the GoWesy 15"x7" ET23 wheels and I think the tires are 215/65s.

Thanks,
-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hodogg wrote:
campism wrote:
Even with all the terrific information in this thread, the confusion just does not go away. I'm looking for tires to fit CLKs now and most local tire places have nothing to fit, and I have been to several looking to spend my money locally if I can. One place can order the Vanco 2 and one other can only find winter tires in the XL rating. Online, looks like the Sumitomo might be the best bet in 215-60/16 99XL. 26.1" diameter and 811 revs/mile. I'd prefer the 205-65/16 in the same tire but it only has a 95 rating. I've found this to be the case with tires from other manufacturers. Madness!

I'm fairly certain my Entyres (205/65R16) are 99XL. They were $497 out the door (mounted, balanced, taxes, etc).

Correct! Another contender at a reasonable price from tiresbyweb.com. Thanks!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Right now there are some good clearance deals on certain Nokian tires.
No tax and no shipping, in most cases.
These are on Ebay, Nokian Entyre models
All Season tires they say.

Load 100 XL in 205/70-15.

Load 99 XL in 205/65-15

Load 99 XL in 205/65-16

Load 99 XL in 215/60-16

And in my new favorite Vanagon size, 102 XL in 215/65-16

Last edited by crazyvwvanman on Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Here is a great deal on Blizzaks snow tires - close out deal on Tire rack. 215/70-15
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=B...m=17R5DMV1
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

check these Comtrac Vredestein snows
http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-12276-vredestein-comtrac-all-season-tires.aspx

raoul mitgong wrote:
Looking for advice on a snow tire (or Nokian winterish) that will be narrow enough to still accept chains (or cables) on 15" 6.5"w, ET37 wheels, 2WD 84 westy.
Am I going to need spacers to ensure chains will fit?
I've used chains on the GoWesy 15"x7" ET23 wheels and I think the tires are 215/65s.

Thanks,
-d

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Nexen SV820 185R14 C Reply with quote

jstr wrote:
During a recent 850 mile trip, one of my 7 yr. old Hankooks on my Westy failed, so I was luckily able to pick up 4 Nexen SV820 185R14 C in Lincoln, Nebraska at Graham Tire. They also had Hankook RA08s, but I thought that I would try the Nexen ( they were $10 cheaper ; also, the old Hankooks had always felt a little "stiff"). After driving 600 miles on them ( some miles during rainy / windy conditions), the Nexens seem like a better ride than the old Hankooks and held to the road well. We'll see as the tires age if the ride stays the same.

Put another 3K highway miles on these Nexens and they still provide a comfy ride and good handling. I feel that I get a couple MPGs less than Hankooks ( although I originally made the mistake of filling the Hankooks to 60 - 65 PSI instead of 40 - 50 that VW recs !! )
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Just found and installed a set of Maxxis MA-LAS M+S, size 215/70R15.
EIGHT Ply tire, load rated to 2270lbs., with a max pressure of 65 PSI.
They look good, ride nice, and feel WAY different to my 205/70R15 Coopers!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks to all contributors on this most interesting thread; most of all to kamzcab86 for finally getting the essential information together and in one place for all to reference. Beautiful job!

I myself have been running the Michelin HYDROEDGE tires in 215-65R15 on my "84 Westy. In spite of their being just the earlier name for what now is the DEFENDER, they have been on the road for exactly ten years this month, and without any issues. I have been lucky! Over those years I have put over 45 thousand miles on them, and actually they look as if they would be good for another 45. I started looking into replacements simply because of the age, and not the wear. All the milage has been in the desert southwest from my home in Las Vegas, so they were never subjected to ice or snow. But oh my, they certainly ran over long days on hot, hot conditions.

After reading this thread over, I shall move up to the Michelin AGILIS in 205-65R15 now, and plan to go over tomorrow and order them
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Audi A4 wheels on my 84 Vanagon? Reply with quote

I found some sweet wheels -- will they fit? Will I need anything to get them installed? From an A4.

5x112 Bolt pattern 225/50 R17

Will these be practical for my 1.9 tintop?

Many thanks --
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Stamped on the inside of the rim, will be the letters "ET", and a number. This needs to be 'thirty-something'. As in, 'ET-32'. This is ideal...
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks WTT -- I'll have a look -what about that tire size and my 1.9 auto -- too big, will lose too much power? Thanks again -
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/185-70R14/225-50R17
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

The diameter of the tire is actually pretty close to stock, but there are other potential issues...

The weight load of that size tire is kinda marginal, even in the XL designation.

If the et is ok you still need to check for lug hole size and the center hole size, along with maybe different lug bolt shape.

The 9.1 section width of those on 17s may interfere with the slider door opening.

Just some things to check
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thanks -
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Here is a great deal on Blizzaks snow tires - close out deal on Tire rack. 215/70-15
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=B...m=17R5DMV1

Put these on a couple weeks ago. Thanks for the heads up Dave. Just over $300 after mounting/balancing.
Took them out yesterday in my neighborhood. Had about 12 inches in my yard and the 2WD had no trouble even up some steep side streets that are steeper than most stuff I'd encounter going to any of the local ski resorts. Very happy with the purchase.
Now to get that Espar installed!

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I just got a set of 215/65/16 BFG KO2s for my van from online Walmart. I know how many people feel about Wally World, and I am right there with you.

BUT, the guys in the shop said that BFG and Michelin are parting ways with Walmart because they insist on selling their tires too cheaply and demanding more inventory.

If you want a decent deal on this expensive tire now is the time!

And, I have absolutely NO affiliation with Walmart. If I did, I'd be retired instead of working until I'm 100.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 57

Jump to: