Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1991 Westfalia GL 2wd Tire fit question Reply with quote

just bought your westy you need to focus on safety first.. and well tires are safety.. make sure your westy has a few items updated. each of these are searchable topics here in the vanagon forum
#1 REPLACE your fuel lines with properly rated fuel injection hose..
#2 while replacing fuel lines remove and update the plastic firewall hose barb to metal or eliminated altogether.
#3 Replace your alternator harness.
#4 make sure to use a quality MANN/MAHLE oil filter to maintain proper working pressures.
#5 replace the plastic coolant tower (2.1) or H-pipe (1.9) in the cooling system that fails abruptly with a massive cloud of coolant and steam.
#6 service brakes and flush brake fluid.
#7 make sure you have fairly new and properly rated & inflated tires.. (go rim shopping if that then suits your sensibilities)

CanWesty1991 wrote:
I looked at GoWesty and they sell a 16" wheel with a ET23 in matt black that i like. Will these both fit my 1991 Westy with no issues? spacers etc..

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=3289

I found these at the Tire Rack and they look identical and I think they would work with no spacers also.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet...toModClar=

Can anyone help ? I just bought my Westy 2 days ago I am a newbie but super stoked Smile

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Halifaxwesty wrote:
I'm looking at the Hercules Power C/V... 205/70/15

Around 100 bucks Canadian...

Im currently running some 14 inch Westlakes, so Im ok with discount tires.

Any Hercules horror stories?

I've been running Power C/V 205/65R16 for two years and no issues and barely any wear. Great wet traction.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

geodude wrote:
Halifaxwesty wrote:
I'm looking at the Hercules Power C/V... 205/70/15

Around 100 bucks Canadian...

Im currently running some 14 inch Westlakes, so Im ok with discount tires.

Any Hercules horror stories?

I've been running Power C/V 205/65R16 for two years and no issues and barely any wear. Great wet traction.

Discontinued tire, no more Power CV
bmouthboyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Can you guys confirm that 215 75 R15 tyres will fit on standard height 2wd T3?

I have a DU 4 speed gearbox with a 1.9 Golf Mk2 Gti engine in and would like to lower my RPM.

At present I have the stock 14" steels.

Thanks
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I've had a hard time getting a straight answer on this question. There are many variables that affect what "fits," tire diameter, width, rim offset (ET). It also doesn't help that many Syncro owners like to chime in and not say they are talking about a Syncro when you are asking about a 2wd to muddy the water. But, based on all I've seen for 2wd you are safe if you stay below 27" diameter for all 2wd no mater which springs you are on. When you get above this tire diameter people start reporting rubbing with the lower vans (Wolfsburgs, Carats, etc.). Above 27.5" tire diameter it seems there are reports of rubbing on all the 2wd vans on hard bumps in turns. Your stated tire size is 27.7" diameter so would likely rub from what I've seen. Having a wider tire makes the problem worse, having offsets that push the wheels out further than stock makes the problem worse (the popular Euro look rims with ET of 21 for instance).
jakefromstatefarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Tire Question for the ULTIMATE tire thread

Hey folks. I am getting my first Eurovan (01 PopTop) and it needs tires. I'll be loading my wife & three kids in the car, so I guess its a good thing to get to do for safety purposes.

I live in the Bay Area of California and my driving will be about 85% paved roads and 15% snow trips to Yosemite or dirt roads in National Parks. Bay Area and Northern Cal will get winter rains, but not ice/snow unless I head to mountains.

Given this, do you suggest going all-terrain or all-season with my tire choice? I have a few car folks in my life, and there are varying opinions.

Some say go all terrain. The EV will handle better in the snow and I won't have to worry about a sidewall at all on dirt roads. Main argument is maximum safety when the tire is prepared for most extreme conditions possible. Seems if I go this route, I'll go with the Hankook ATM's 225/70/60.

Others say go all season. Main argument is maximum safety is how tire performs in wet conditions, as an all season channels water out better and offers superior wet traction. They say a good all season tire will do fine for the limited dirt and I can use chains or cables for snow. If I got this route, I will go Michelin LTC M/S2.

I don't care about the MPG difference and am primarily driven on what is safest. I'm probably overthinking it, but am curious what the Samba-ites think. Would you go all terrain or all season and why?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

jakefromstatefarm wrote:

Hey folks. I am getting my first Eurovan (01 PopTop) and it needs tires. I'll be loading my wife & three kids in the car, so I guess its a good thing to get to do for safety purposes....

Eurovans came with different wheels and tires than vanagons but I think you could go with the BFG 215/65R-16 AT KO2 tire and you would be pretty happy. You could run this question by the Eurovan forum.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
jakefromstatefarm wrote:

Hey folks. I am getting my first Eurovan (01 PopTop) and it needs tires. I'll be loading my wife & three kids in the car, so I guess its a good thing to get to do for safety purposes....

Eurovans came with different wheels and tires than vanagons but I think you could go with the BFG 215/65R-16 AT KO2 tire and you would be pretty happy. You could run this question by the Eurovan forum.

Ya, I agree. I totally hated the stock tires that came on my 'new off the lot' 2003 EV Westy Weekender when I bought it. Certainly don't expect those V treaded freeway tires to get you out of your flat but grassy camp site when it is dewy. Total nightmare.
dustyrhodes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I just installed 215/65/16 BFG KO2s on 16" South African steel wheels from van-cafe.

Stock springs and KYB shocks. GW 1.5" lift and Fox shocks coming as soon as my burley UCAs come in. Love the look so far!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TheArmand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

My god, your van is freakin' gorgeous. Lookin' GOOD!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

In case this one has not already been mentioned, it looks like Maxxis makes a tire suitable for a Westy, the UE-168 in the stock 185R14C size with a 102 rating. Looks stout. I spotted these on a van at a local tire shop.

AIREK23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

New syncro owner here. I need new tires and wheels. For wheels, I am going with the Euro look 16" alloy black rims from Vancafe/Gowesty. For tires, I am debating between the BFG T/A KO2 215/65r16 VS BFG T/A KO2 215/70r16. the only difference is the 65 vs 70 aspect ratio? Anyone have any tips or recommendations? Thanks.

86 Syncro tin top.
TheArmand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

AIREK23 wrote:
New syncro owner here. I need new tires and wheels. For wheels, I am going with the Euro look 16" alloy black rims from Vancafe/Gowesty. For tires, I am debating between the BFG T/A KO2 215/65r16 VS BFG T/A KO2 215/70r16. the only difference is the 65 vs 70 aspect ratio? Anyone have any tips or recommendations? Thanks.

86 Syncro tin top.

There is PLENTY of answers to your question if you search these forums well. Spent 30-60 minutes and you will know everything you want to about syncro specific tire sizes as relating to your question.
AIREK23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I guess I'm just concerned that the 215/65r16 BFG's will look small. In terms of look, how much different are the 215/70r16? I want my new tires to look big and aggressive.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/maximus-m1/4539

Anyone familiar with Maximus M1? They claim some pretty high load ratings, and are inexpensive.
geodude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

AIREK23 wrote:
I guess I'm just concerned that the 215/65r16 BFG's will look small. In terms of look, how much different are the 215/70r16? I want my new tires to look big and aggressive.

16" rims look much bigger than stock even with the same diameter tire. The tires you are talking about are approximately 1.3 and 2.2 inches in diameter bigger than stock, 27 and 27.9 inch diameter. Without modifying the trailing arms you can't go beyond about 28.9" diameter from what I've heard, but you probably have body mods to contend with. Also think about your gearing, you are effectively adding higher gearing. The stock 2.1 is going to be struggling with your new huge tires.
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I've seen these tires on 16" rims on a highly modified van, but never on the stock 14" rims. Anybody see it done?

Based on my research, they will fit. Not seeing them on the first page here under the 14" wheel section, but maybe that's because they're a pretty aggressive off-road pattern, and they're also pretty new (I think).

My van is 2wd Tin-Top on camper springs (1" lift).

I want something that will be road friendly, but also get me through some dirt and mud, at an affordable price point. So far these fit the bill.

For me it's between these and General Grabbers or something, but I've heard those tread patterns perform poorly in mud.

Kumho Road Venture MT KL71
Size: 27X8.5R14LT
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Load Range: C
Serv. Desc: 95Q
UTQG: None

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?gclid=CjwK...174902%3As
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

The problem you might find with these is the 95q load designation.

Since it's not an xl I think it gets derated an additional 9%, on top of already being only a 95. That probably puts it around 1400 # max, maybe even 1350, which is entirely up to you of course, but most folks don't think that is a good idea for a vanagon.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
h00drat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

levi wrote:
The problem you might find with these is the 95q load designation.

Since it's not an xl I think it gets derated an additional 9%, on top of already being only a 95. That probably puts it around 1400 # max, maybe even 1350, which is entirely up to you of course, but most folks don't think that is a good idea for a vanagon.

Good point. I was paying attention to the load range (C), and thought I had seen that 95 was sufficient. I'm a fan of "better safe than sorry".
Engine Conversion Thread (2.0 ABA Swap)
ABA Swap - Image Gallery
Auto Trans Rebuild - Image Gallery
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I'm not saying that it isn't safe.
Just something that you might want to check on.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 57

Jump to: