Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kybishop wrote:
Anyone have recommendations for a tire that performs well in mud? I'm sick of getting my current van (a chevy conversion van) stuck in puddles! Evil or Very Mad

I have an 84 2WD Westy in insyncro's shop that I'd love to keep from getting stuck on the climber roads I plan to take it down. In the 15" tire thread it was mentioned that the BFG All-terrains perform well in dirt, but only average in mud or sand. I'm wondering about the Nokians, the All-terrain Yokohamas, or the various other options available.

I realize my van is no syncro, but it would be great to give it a fighting chance!

A Peloquin diff will do more to get you through slippery conditions than knobby tires. A Peloquin AND knobby tires will really make a difference!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kybishop
Samba Member

Location: Where the wind is blowing, the mountains calling, and the adventure waiting

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
kybishop wrote:
Anyone have recommendations for a tire that performs well in mud? I'm sick of getting my current van (a chevy conversion van) stuck in puddles! Evil or Very Mad

I have an 84 2WD Westy in insyncro's shop that I'd love to keep from getting stuck on the climber roads I plan to take it down. In the 15" tire thread it was mentioned that the BFG All-terrains perform well in dirt, but only average in mud or sand. I'm wondering about the Nokians, the All-terrain Yokohamas, or the various other options available.

I realize my van is no syncro, but it would be great to give it a fighting chance!

A Peloquin diff will do more to get you through slippery conditions than knobby tires. A Peloquin AND knobby tires will really make a difference!

After much reading on TBDs and locking diffs, I am salivating while my wallet looks at me funny. As a newbie, thank you for pointing me toward these concepts!

For Dylan's sanity (I always seem to be piling on more work Very Happy), and my wallet's sake, it'll probably be a bit before I go further than the knobby tires.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a useful thread because it lists tires. Brands and sizes get updated on the first page when mentioned in the thread. Turning this into another rambling tire thread takes away from someone wanting to find tires. It is easy enough to do a google search on a particular tire to get reviews of it. And there is a thread for the peloquin limited slip.

Again, tires mentioned in this thread are added to the first page by Kam. Good job.
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: kumho Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kumho Road Venture AT KL78 27x8.5R14
http://www.kumhotire.ca/en/tire/category/truck-suv/8CE40218-BC5C-47D0-AC9C-3207A8C1C3A3
I think it may be Canada only. 8 ply, sidewalls are nice and stiff, aggressive tread works well on the road..quiter than my old LTX and LT4's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jdbs3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

According to Continental USA, the following tire is discontinued:

Continental Vanco 2
185/75R14
Load range: C
Load index: 102/100Q

Email from Continental ([email protected]) stated "Thank you for contacting Customer Relations at Continental Tire the Americas, LLC. The only tire we carry in the USA in a 185R14 C, is the Vanco 8."

But, Continental USA states this only comes in the D load (8 ply).

So it appears there are no Continental 185/75R14 in the C load.
jdbs3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Nokian Hakka C 185R14 Reply with quote

Thanks to kamzcab86 for compiling this information.

I've used Continental to date (18575R14 C load) and plan to stay with this size.
But Continental no longer makes a 6 ply for the van. Oh well!

So I'm leaning toward the Nokian Hakka C 185 R14 - finally found a place about 50 miles away that has 4.

Anyone ever use this tire on your van and have any comments on them? How do they ride?

The van only gets about 2-3K miles/year on it, and only in the summer. However, I am considering going cross country in about 2-3 years so want good tires for that trip.

thanks
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

Thanks... Very Happy Will get the info updated when I get a chance.

jdbs3 wrote:
But, Continental USA states this only comes in the D load (8 ply).

So it appears there are no Continental 185/75R14 in the C load.

I've used Continental to date (18575R14 C load) and plan to stay with this size. But Continental no longer makes a 6 ply for the van. Oh well!

Why must you have a C load tire? Eh? A D load Vanco 8 will be even stronger than a C load Vanco 2; if your van is a Westfalia, that's a good thing. It says in the first post: "Light Truck (LT) tires: These are the tires that are preferred on vans, with a load range of C or D..."

As for Nokian tires, they are a popular tire brand in Vanagonland: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6916493&highlight=hakka#6916493 .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mediaguy99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: 17" tires Reply with quote

hey, can anyone recommend a 17" tire? I'm looking at some 17x7" steel wheels and wonder what my options are.

Thanks!
Rob
jdbs3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Why C load? Reply with quote

Spare is a Vanco 8 C load and in excellent condition. I'd like to avoid buying 5 tires just to assure the load level matches in case I ever need to use the spare for any length of time.

also, just the base model - not a Westfalia.
jdbs3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Nokian Hakka C 185R14 Reply with quote

An update - After speaking with the distributor, this is a D load rating (8 ply), not a C load rating.

So neither Continental nor Nokian make a 185R14 in a C load.

D load it is.
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: What tires have the largest circumference- lowest rpm/speed Reply with quote

I recently got my '87 2.1 (2-wheel drive) motor re-done as a 2.2, so it has maybe 15% more hp- runs very strong. For several years I've used random different 185 14 rubber-- and for just as long my speedo has been almost 10% over the actual-- checked several ways, incl. roadside light-up warnings with speed posted. I doubt that VW sent them out that way; rather I suspect that the less-wide tires of the '80s had a higher profile-- traveled a few inches farther each revolution. So I'm interested-- anyone know what modern tires have the largest circumference? Currently, on my stock alloy Vanagon wheels, I have Michelin 185 R 14c tires, with a circumference of about 79 inches. Does anyone know if i can get taller 184- 14 tires rated for the van's weight? 3 more inches would be about a 4% increase, 5 or six might get the speedo close to accurate-- and likely increase my gas mileage by almost 2mpg-- nearly 10%, by dropping my RPMs. I could live with that!
If there's nothing very much bigger, is there a different wheel (that fits our bolt pattern) that will allow the mounting of a tire with, maybe, a 85 or 86 inch circumference? This solution would be more costly with the purchase of the new rims, but might be worth in, amortized over, say, 50,000 miles. Thanks, Chris H
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about 195R14C or 205R14C?

(where if there was a middle aspect ratio it would be about 80-83% and where C= commerical tire). Michelin no longer makes a tire that fits though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
How about 195R14C or 205R14C?

(where if there was a middle aspect ratio it would be about 80-83% and where C= commerical tire). Michelin no longer makes a tire that fits though.

Several tire shops, incl Tire Rack and Merchants say the higher number, 205 vs 185, does not mean a larger circumference. Anyone got any suggestions that don't involve getting rid of my VW alloy wheels for a larger- like a 15 or a 16?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a commercial tire, there is no middle aspect ratio. If the information is omitted, it is assumed to be 82% (if written, it should be like xxx/82). The "aspect ratio" of the sidewall height is expressed as a percentage of the total width of the tire.

Therefore, the wider the tire, the taller it is if the aspect ratio is the same. In our case that aspect ratio would be about 82%.

The tire caluclator from Miata.net allows me to use "80" for the aspect ratio which is little a bit low, but that is what I am using here.

185R14 C tire has a cicrcumfernce of about 80.6" and 786 revs per mile.

195R 14 C tire has a circumference of about 82.6" and 767 revs per mile.

205R 14 C tire (sort of hard to come by) has a circumference of about 84.6" and 749 revs per mile.

All fit on the stock 14" rims. I run 195R14 C on one of my buses they are a pretty "meaty tire" (load index of about 102 IIRC). Now my speedo is right on.

You really have to call the tire shop as they normally don't carry them often. Many tires in that size are listed as "ST" which indicates that it is a trailer tire and should not be used on our cars. If they DON'T say "ST", it is likely OK for us. Examples would be a Hankook RA08 or a Kumho 857 or a lot of Nokian tires.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With any luck, I'll be getting my tires installed tomorrow! I asked for the:
Nokian WRG2 SUV
215/65R16
Load range: XL
Load index: 102H
Max load: 1874 lbs.
Revs/mile: 770

But, they no longer make the WRG2 and now make the WRG3. So, I've asked for the T428751 215/60R16 NOK WRG3 99V XL, but the guy *only* wants to sell me a light truck tire. Guess there is another Nokian tire that has a better side wall rating that he thinks I should have. He said it'd be noisier on the highway. It's not the Hakka, but I forget which it was. Not that much more money $20-30, I think. Thought I'd see if anyone here had tried the WR3? Since it's only been out for 6 months.

Oh, I also noticed a lot of the tires were 65R rather than 60R. The 60R means there is less tire or sidewall than the 65R, right? So it means there will be a bumpier ride, right? Not sure I like that, but think it may have something to do with fit too, right?

I *hate* buying tires, b/c you don't know if you like them until you drive with them, THEN, it's too late. But, at KalTire in BC, they give a 30 day exchange if you are not happy with them, cool! It ALSO means, I could swap my 16" wheels for 15" ones if I don't like them, COOL! I'll be shopping there again!

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it back, not sure I'll shop there again. I explained to them what I wanted them to do. I told them the parts involved. I asked if they could do it. I asked if they had someone that had done it before (14" stock steels to 16" mercedes) and they said they had. I gave them the instructions from T3 (they are bright flippen orange). I asked them if they had read them. I asked them if they could still do it. Yes and yes.

I hand them my keys...

An hour later they come back and tell me I have the wrong T3 parts. Hhhmmm, I think, either you are stupid or Chris made a mistake. Though, now i have to take some accountability for stupidity as I (personally) did not read the instructions, though wasn't it someone here that said if I'm paying money $1,000 for tires installed onto Vanagon, that I shouldn't HAVE to know what's going on? At any rate, I email Chris he answers right away (isn't he great?) and sure enough, they have not read the instructions. Rolling Eyes Shocked Rolling Eyes REALLY!? So, now I have tires on my wheels (they are all so pretty) IN my Vanagon. Evil or Very Mad Sad Evil or Very Mad

On the plus side, they will still take them back for a full money back guarantee, that's rather nice of the dingbats! Cool

The end result is, as most of you already knew, don't try and pay a dingbat to put wheels w/ spacers onto a Vanagon as they can't (or won't) do it. As, now that I've explained to them what they need to do...They still won't do it! Rolling Eyes

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
pbourci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: 03 Eurovan 225/60-16 suggestion Reply with quote

This post just shot down my Michelin Defender pick. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a high mileage touring tire that is relatively quite for on road summer use?

Thank you,

AP
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you are talking about a 15" tire. I would consider the Nokian Entyre in a 205/65-15 or 205/70-15 or 215/65-15. Van-cafe carries just one of those sizes but I think they can order any of them if you call.

Did you look on page 1 of this thread about half way down where the tires are listed. If you don't like any of the ones listed, and happen to find another one that fits the bill, post it here so it can be added to the list.
pbourci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 03 Eurovan 225/60-16 suggestion Reply with quote

I have a Weekender and my max load is 5 people and bike rack w 4 bikes.

Thank you,

AP
Krautwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Nokian eNTYRE
205/65R15 (Euro-metric)
Load index: 99H
Max load: 1709 lbs. -9% > 1555 lbs.
Max psi: 51

Don't forget the eNTYRE is available in 225/60r16 for Eurovan owners. I upgraded my wheels to 16x7" Audi wheels and these tires on my 1999 Eurovan MV and love them.

Nokian eNTYRE
Specs:
225/60R16 (Euro-metric)
Load index: 102H
Max load: 1874 lbs. -9% > 1705 lbs.
Max psi: 51

www.tires-easy.com has them at a great price.
1974 Type 1 Bug
1999 Eurovan MV
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 57

Jump to: