Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Refinishing a 1961 sk692A SO-23 Westfalia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bus has so much character. Enjoy!
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A grey/white tent would look so awesome on that bus

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
A grey/white tent would look so awesome on that bus

oh yes, trust me it does!! Wink but I'd have to sell some organs to have a big enough stack of franklin faces to convince greg to sell his to me

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bus is just awesome!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think I have ever seen a grey/white tent it looks great on your bus. I wonder what color tent would have come with the 692A color option?? Did the exterior color determine the tent color or the interior material color? If Iam not mistaken Mango(with yellow/black interior)would have had an Orange/White tent, Dove Blue(also yellow/black) would have had???? Inquiring minds want to know Laughing *EDIT* Actually just went back and skimmed through the Westy Tent thread, all sorts of info in there. So maybe the color of the bus or its interior didnt really determine the tent color.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
I dont think I have ever seen a grey/white tent it looks great on your bus. I wonder what color tent would have come with the 692A color option?? Did the exterior color determine the tent color or the interior material color? If Iam not mistaken Mango(with yellow/black interior)would have had an Orange/White tent, Dove Blue(also yellow/black) would have had???? Inquiring minds want to know Laughing *EDIT* Actually just went back and skimmed through the Westy Tent thread, all sorts of info in there. So maybe the color of the bus or its interior didnt really determine the tent color.
Some seem to say the colors were coordinated with the bus, other's feel they were more random. Interesting debate for sure.
The brochoure with the dove blue bus has a red/white tent on the cover.

Does anyone have a dove blue bus that still has the og tent with the bus?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Big Bill wrote:

Some seem to say the colors were coordinated with the bus, other's feel they were more random. Interesting debate for sure.
The brochoure with the dove blue bus has a red/white tent on the cover.

Does anyone have a dove blue bus that still has the og tent with the bus?

Not sure if the tents were color coded to the bus originally or not. Seats on the other hand were. There is only one sk692a bus that has original upholstery in it and it is yellow/black.

There are VERY few grey/white tents and I'm not really sure what era they are anyway. They may be flipseat?

some additional photos

water pump switch with the red light illuminated when the pump is on.

water coming out like a fire hose, it shoots out about 4 feet!

mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new fav thread on samba. Such sweet work on that interior dude. jeeezus jesus.
Gonna show jason as he is about to become a camper head with his new subhatch. Smile

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
My new fav thread on samba. Such sweet work on that interior dude. .
No doubt.

This thread is driving me nuts to start repairing my cabinets.

Glad I waited and found out about the scrappers instead of just sanding the veneer. Thanks for taking the time to post all these pics.

Thomas Jefferson
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake,

What type of glue did you use/recommend for re-glueing the veneer?

Titebond has an indoor and an outdoor glue(titebond I/II)

Nevermind, just re-read the entire thread and saw you posted you used regular wood glue.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Stocknazi on Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
andre b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a killer bus..love the colors!!very unique!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sled wrote:
[img]][img

Very happy so far with the results, but we will see how some of the more damaged cabinetry turns out, and of course the roof/wall paneling is in the toughest shape.

up next is the wardrobe, stay tuned!
Is the endgrain veneer inside the cabinet door openings a different wood or was it stained a darker color originally?; It looks like the endgrain on the wasbasin is darker as well; was that stained when new or is that darker color because it is endgrain we are seeing? Maybee it takes on a different finish than the faceside of the veneer.

Thomas Jefferson
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks andre!

Doug, I just used regular old elmers brand yellow wood blue, but titebond original (red bottle) is the same stuff.

What you are seeing is not endgrain, it is actually a separate veneer, referred to as edge banding. the plywood has no end grain technically, although the plywood they used for the cabinet construction is whats called lumber-core so it can have a little bit of end grain appearance.

The edge banding they used is some other kind of much darker tropical wood, most likely a mahogany species. It is used on the edges of pretty much every exposed piece of plywood, inside the wardrobe, wash basin cabinet, rear dual cabinet, icebox, stove door, as well as on the tops of the seat bases. You will also find a very narrow strip on the joint where the wardrobe face meets the curved piece. The only place they didn't use it was on edges that were up against the body/floor/ceiling.

you can see it here.

something like this is what I would suggest. You will have to trim it after it is applied but it is very easy to do, especially with the right tool shown below.

http://www.wisewoodveneer.com/store/Mahogany-Edgebanding/

this looks almost identical to what I found on my cabinets

Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help on the edgebanding; I'll order some up.

I anticipate several new woodcraft tools entering my toolbox in the near future.

Thomas Jefferson
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRAVO!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a little research on the shellac you suggested using; how it is made and where it comes from is quite interesting.

What type of cut do you recommend and how did you apply it?

Most seem to reccommend the pad method instead of brushing b/c it is so quick to dry.

Thomas Jefferson
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Zinsser brand Bulls Eye shellac. I don't make my own

Applied it with a 2 to 3 inch foam brush. For the ceiling/long panels I used a paint pad.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd follow Jakes advice.

I personally used a 3" natural ox-hair brush on my ceiling and was happy with the results.

The shellac lays down smooth and dries very fast.

You might consider running some tests on a scrap piece of wood to decide which technique you like best. I tested schellac and laquer applied with foam, brush, and pad, and found them all to look pretty much the same. The lacquer had a more distinct smell and took longer to dry. Try not to apply too thick of a coat, and use whatever application method you feel most comfortable with.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake,

Can you give your opinion on what glue and process to use for glueing new wood-backed veneer to 1/8 inch birch substrate?

Should I use wood glue and iron like you used with the veneer flitches; or would a contact cement be a better choice?

Any advice you could offer appreciated.

Thomas Jefferson
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Jake,

Can you give your opinion on what glue and process to use for glueing new wood-backed veneer to 1/8 inch birch substrate?

Should I use wood glue and iron like you used with the veneer flitches; or would a contact cement be a better choice?

Any advice you could offer appreciated.

Totally forgot I never responded to this.

With new veneer, all you are doing is covering a full sheet of plywood before cutting out any individual pieces. Because of this, there is no need to really line up edges or specific joints. I was trying to line up existing pieces perfectly and I needed to be able to move the pieces around slightly, as well as flatten warping/cracks before the glue set up. I imagine you are sourcing 4x8 rolls of veneer? if this is the case, I would just use regular veneer contact adhesive. roll it out thin on both the veneer and the plywood, wait for it to tack, then roll the veneer onto the plywood. Start at one edge and get it lined up nice, and have a friend help you roll it out while you roll out any potential air pockets with a firm rubber veneer roller.

but...with all that being said, i would recommend watching some youtube videos on gluing veneers. There are a few different methods and each work well for different applications. Test some different methods with small pieces before you potentially fuck up a big expensive 4x8 sheet Shocked

not really much to report on the bus, just been trying to drive the wheels off of it! Have had some pretty crazy parties in and around the bus, the EMKA cups have definitely had their fair share of alcohol in them!

was lucky enough to procure an original non-icebox cargo net, although it is pretty rough. I would consider myself pretty ambitious, but I may just use it as a model for a reproduction.

Also got myself a set of tent poles, so look for a thread on making a faithful reproduction awning!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: