Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 Jetta Vapor canister? or expansion tank?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MDeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: 82 Jetta Vapor canister? or expansion tank? Reply with quote

So, after hitting a pothole I start hearing this awful grinding sound at the front passenger side wheel. I thought at first it was a cv joint or something that got jacked by the pothole. But when I went to look, I saw this bottle like thing sitting at the back of the tire. After freaking out for a sec, I was able to shove it back up into the wheel well where it seemed to belong. I have had to revisit that scene daily. I'm pretty sure it is a vapor canister for venting the fuel tank. My question is - how do I deal with it? Is there a way to get it back up in there and stay put? What will happen if I try to remove it? Anybody been there?

I'm now told this thing is a fuel expansion tank. Same questions apply though.. Crying or Very sad
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pass side, gas its expansion tnk... some diesels had them, most were just vented into the framerail..

gas needs.. will fill up with gas if tank full and it hot enough out to make gas expand.. without it it pisses gas out the chrcole canister bottom.. and that to me is fire hazzard as same vent line too close to batt and stuff..

now it fell out due to rot!! its bracket rots off and hole between door and dash forms to get passengers feet wet in puddle..
MDeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so can anything be done about it?
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for now you can remove it.. water will get in tank to ruin things.. just pipe anc clamp 2 hoses together...

to fix... remove fender.. fix rot, reinstall fender, install canister.. cannot get round it to install bolts to put in first..

do not keep tank full of gas.. and on hot days.. keep it empty till you fix..

not good thing to go into store to come out with 2 gal of gas on ground from under charcole canister on a 80*f day... my jetta holds 27 gal...

12 gal diesel westy tank, and additional 15 gal jetta exra tank.. i added extra expansion after the gas on ground issue..
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crap 1 more thing.. your computer is getting wet there too... if its seals have failed due to old age, filling it with water will be bad..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: