Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

POR 20 on a heat shield
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: POR 20 on a heat shield Reply with quote

Hi - some time in the past 16 years, my old heat shield rusted away on my 78 Westy. I've driven ocean to ocean twice without it and haven't had any problems. But, now that I am restoring/refreshing my bus, I decided to put one back on. I figure that if it was good for the stock original, it's good enough now as well.

I was fortunate to come across a heat shield in near perfect condition. It's got just a small bit of surface rust on it and that's it. But, everything else on my bus is freshly sandblasted and painted and I feel compelled to make the heat shield look nice too.

I painted my heater boxes, manifolds, and exhaust with the silver POR 20 (high temp) and am happy with the results. But was wondering if anyone has any opinions on painting the heat shield silver. (I know, it's the Samba, there are always opinions . . .) Wink

My thinking is that it would actually reflect more of the radiant heat if it was silver versus black or surface rust brown. I would think that would be a positive.

And yes, I know that the effectiveness of the heat shield is a debated topic on this forum, but let's just assume that I've fully committed to putting one on.

Thanks for your thoughts.
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black surfaces absorb light better, which then converts to heat. Where is you light source? Are you running a flux capacitor?
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flux Capacitor? Was that an available option? I'll have to check the classifieds to see if I can find one! Very Happy

The silver does reflect light, but it also reflects radiant heat - that's why those silver Mylar emergency blankets work even though your body isn't putting off visible light.
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was an option it must have an M-code Smile I know that lagging on pipes is used for this, but its to do with the material / surface rather than the colour. I looked it up out of interest, and this is an interesting article by researchers from your Department of Energy on the subject: http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy00/phy00246.htm

Sounds like an appropriate 'silver' surface will reflect heat even in the dark (i.e. infra red on the spectrum). Not sure if paint will suffice. Just as idea, maybe you could coat it in the aluminium (aluminum) foil they use for lagging.
1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got any pics of your finished heatshield?

What do your heater boxes look like?

Are you happy with the POR20?
(sold - but not forgotten)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: POR 20 on a heat shield Reply with quote

DaleNW wrote:
I painted my heater boxes, manifolds, and exhaust with the silver POR 20 (high temp) and am happy with the results. But was wondering if anyone has any opinions on painting the heat shield silver. (I know, it's the Samba, there are always opinions . . .) Wink

I replaced the outer layer of metal on my heat shield with galvanized sheeting years ago so it is basically silver in appearance. Can't say that it makes any difference at all. The original heat shield has an insulation layer inside, while the cover I made is raised a bit to create an air space.

If I ever build a heat shield from scratch I will probably use a double layer of stainless.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just painted my heat exchangers and heat shield on my 73 last night. POR 20 is great stuff. I put it on thick and it appears to have mended some of the pin holes near the flanges where the muffler mounts. Did the muffler too. It looks great with very little prep. A 1 pint can is still half full after 2 coats on everything.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Great. Thanks for the report. Any Pics?

Also, let us know hot it stands up to operating temps.
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tackled the heat shield painting yet. The weather hasn't been cooperating with me (so much snow in the mountains that I've been forced to put my bus project on hold and go skiing!). But, I should be getting to it this coming weekend.
I've had great luck with the POR 20. Here are some photos of my heater boxes and the Bus Depot one piece muffler. I also did my manifolds.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the Before:

And now, all together:

All in all, I am quite pleased with the POR 20. Easy to work with and good end result. Be sure that you have space in your oven for the part you are painting as it does require a heat cure.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CessnaJon wrote:
I just painted my heat exchangers and heat shield on my 73 last night. POR 20 is great stuff. I put it on thick and it appears to have mended some of the pin holes near the flanges where the muffler mounts. Did the muffler too. It looks great with very little prep. A 1 pint can is still half full after 2 coats on everything.

What prep did you do? Got pics?
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleNW wrote:
I've had great luck with the POR 20. Here are some photos of my heater boxes and the Bus Depot one piece muffler. I also did my manifolds.

And the Before:

Looks like you painted all new parts vs rehabbing the old. Is that true?

If so, where did you source new heater boxes?
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleNW wrote:
I haven't tackled the heat shield painting yet. The weather hasn't been cooperating with me (so much snow in the mountains that I've been forced to put my bus project on hold and go skiing!). But, I should be getting to it this coming weekend.

And the Before:

And now, all together:

All in all, I am quite pleased with the POR 20. Easy to work with and good end result. Be sure that you have space in your oven for the part you are painting as it does require a heat cure.

Or you could run the bus for twenty minutes or so to cure it. The exhaust gets quite hot. Be sure and use VHT paint it's the only one I've found to stand the test of time if prepped properly.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased new heater boxes from Bus Depot. They are the Dansk ones. They fit pretty well, but I did have to bend the flanges a bit. The tightest fit was where the box attaches to the fan shroud on the passenger side.

I sandblasted all of the parts, new muffler and heater boxes, as well as the original manifolds. Once they were sand blasted, the old and new parts all looked pretty much the same.

I did this work a few months ago now. I have noticed some tiny bubbles forming in the POR 20 paint surface on the elbow of the muffler. Not sure why, but it is as if it released from the surface in a few small areas. Honestly, I'm going to just go with it. Mufflers rust out eventually anyway, I am just hoping that the paint makes it last longer. But I wore fresh gloves and had no contamination on the metal surface (that I know of or could control) during painting.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am about to do this exactly on my 77. I sandblasted all the parts. Manifolds, heater boxes, elbows, muffler (same style, old stock) but I used VHT paint (baked everything except the muffler). Currently hunting down the heat shield.
What were the OPs results with the POR-20 all these months later? How do you like the muffler? Sound? Performance? Do you have pics of the heat shield? I've read there are differences between the type 4 bus heat shields but I haven't seen any pics or read a description of the differences.
How is the whole exhaust system holding up in general?

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All has held up well and still looks good except the muffler. The paint has not adhered all that well. But overall, better that the stuff it comes with.

The muffler is a bitlouder than stock and doesn't sound like OG, but works fine for my purposes.

Look for heat shields in the classified and in the gallery. There are a few listed and quite a few photos in the gallery. I'll see if i can find a photo of mine before installation, but I'm in the middle of a move, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to it.

Definitely worth doing! Good luck!
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for responding Dale! It will be interesting to compare results. I will try and update this thread with my results with the VHT flameproof paint. Since we both sandblasted the parts, and will have basically an identical setup, it will be useful to see what happens as a comparison for others. The VHT requires 3 coats priming, 3 coats topcoat, so thats what i did, following the instructions on the can exactly.
My muffler is much heavier than the one you installed (I have compared them side by side), maybe that will help with the heat and keep the paint from failing/flaking, we shall see. I used grey primer, silver paint. I will be curing that piece on the vehicle. Everything else would be similar to your process, doing the oven cure.

I just ordered my heat shield from CIP1, unless someone comes on here and tells me I need to cancel it right away! I just stumbled on it looking up images for the heat shield on Google. This must be a new production piece:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D039%2D119%2D227

I tried researching it and all the photos I've seen of bus heat shields seem to match up with what they are selling. I will post pics/review of that as well once it arrives, but it looks to be the real deal! Fingers crossed.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

DaleNW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!

I ended up curing mine at my powder coater. He has a HUGE oven and since I've spent a bunch of money with him through my restoration, he let me leave it in his oven for a day.

Let us know how it all works out. Would be good to know for the next time I do this.
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: 039 119 227 type 4 exhaust heat shield Reply with quote

Figured I'd post this here for posterity instead of starting a thread. Just got my heat shield from CIP1, so here are some crappy flip phone photos:

Was kind of surprised to see a Jopex Group sticker on there. I'm wondering if these are new production or old stock of something they no longer make?
The quality looks ok, thick gauge metal, welds on the brackets, etc.

Th one thing I noticed right away was in the pics I've seen of the OG shields it looks like two pieces of metal, with insulation or something between, and one side folded over the other, then spot welded. This piece looks to be just two identical pieces of metal with many spot welds all the way around, doesn't look to have that insulation between the two. Comes with thee old shop wear resistant paint on it. I will strip, paint with VHT and bake ASAP.

Anyways, here are the part numbers:
OG VW: 039 119 227
Jopex/JP Group: 8182600500
Barcode sku: 5710412426361
Made in Denmark

We'll see how it installs/holds up! I was just glad to find one!

asiab3 wrote:

Jmack223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where does the heat shield go btw? i cant seem to find it on me bus!
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear bumper. Above the exhaust.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: