Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 15 Window
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

I don't blame you, I'd be ready to drive it too. Some people like to let their paint fully cure and shrink for a period of time and then level it again later and spray another couple coats. That could always be done later (or not) if you wanted.

Nothing wrong with rocking it just like it is indefinitely either, it looks great!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

WillMoss wrote:
I also recently rediscovered the original photos that were posted with the ad when I bought it. They definitely didn't do it justice to how extensive the rust really was...

they do it justice, i think, i can see that just about any panel visible in the pictures needed repair or replacement Wink

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
WillMoss wrote:
I also recently rediscovered the original photos that were posted with the ad when I bought it. They definitely didn't do it justice to how extensive the rust really was...

they do it justice, i think, i can see that just about any panel visible in the pictures needed repair or replacement Wink

I think you're right... Still not exactly sure what I was thinking when I looked at them and decided this would be a good purchase. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

WillMoss wrote:
mandraks wrote:
WillMoss wrote:

I think you're right... Still not exactly sure what I was thinking when I looked at them and decided this would be a good purchase. Laughing

don't worry, i know of what i speak from experience

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Worked on installing the rear disc brake kit today.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Had a bit of back and forth play in the axles before I installed them, which I'm pretty sure is normal, but after putting everything together pretty tight I ended up with some different lengths poking out. Any ideas on why this might be the case, other than it needing to be tightened up?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
karl h
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

the spacers the oilseals are running on come in differnt widths, maybe you have two widths? you can see them in your first pic, the seal i mean is in the housing that bolts up with the four bolts, the spacer is on the axle itself.
86 Caravelle
04 new beetle vert
Rustyscrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Nice work, I cant wait to see the final product when you are done.
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

15" bus rims painted in Silver White and wrapped up in BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp 2's. I wasn't sure how big of tires I could fit just yet so I started with some more conservative sizes for now and see how I liked them. 195/50/15 for the front and 195/55/15 in the rear.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Rear discs, that thing is going to have some serious stopping power. Thanks for the update.
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
Rear discs, that thing is going to have some serious stopping power. Thanks for the update.

Serious stopping power to go with these serious go-power!
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Are you running a parking brake? Can't tell if those calipers have it or not. If so, what cables are you using?

Thanks!
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

That looks killer man way to go, you not only saved a rare bus but did it proud. Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
Are you running a parking brake? Can't tell if those calipers have it or not. If so, what cables are you using?

Thanks!

The calipers are setup to run a parking brake, and I plan on installing the cables once I can get it home to California. I couldn't tell you what cables they are just yet because I don'y have them, and 1960 is a complicated year for the cables. Once I have them though I will post a picture and some more information!
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Beautiful
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

So I finally was to wrap up finals and can tackle a the rest of the work before I drive this thing to California Memorial Day Weekend. I'm having some trouble with getting the stance to sit level. I know that the drop spindles and drop plates bring it down to different heights, and I was counting on the rear tires making it level, but I ended up being more conservative with the 195/55 instead of 205/xx. Would going up to a larger size be my best bet?

The picture is with the engine in. Obviously the added weight brings the rear down further. Still doesn't have shocks on it yet, but I do have the shocks.

lumber-baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Looking good Will, the easiest fix would be to adjust your tosion spring plates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

lumber-baron wrote:
Looking good Will, the easiest fix would be to adjust your tosion spring plates.

Thanks Peter, I'll give that a try! The other issue I discovered today was that the rear disc brake calipers are rubbing on the inside of the rims, but they're not consistent all the way around. When I turn the wheels they will clear for most of the rotation then lightly grind for a bit. I'm thinking that it might be that the rims aren't centered and they just need to be tightened properly. Any thoughts?
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

Id start off by contacting the disc brake kit maker and asking why they are rubbing on steel wheels and if they have a solution.
Squilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1960 15 Window Reply with quote

First off, to solve the ride height problem I'm going to be adjusting the rear torsions so that the bus sits level. Probably about 4 degrees or so to bring it up an inch. Also I finally tackled the pop out windows and the two stationary windows. Having them in really brings it together! I just have a question of wether or not there is a trick to get the corner windows in. I have been putting paracord in the seals so that I can pull the rubber in from behind, but I'm just having difficulty getting the rubber seals to not pull away from the tops of the corner glass. I couldn't tell if there is a top or bottom to the seals or not. They are from West Coast Metric.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: