Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Amazonas Motorcycle
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Amazonas Motorcycle Reply with quote

Thought I would share a couple pic's of one I rolled out of my trailer and into my garage yesterday. I Finally found one after over 15 years of looking. Non runner. But Complete!

These motorcycle were built in Brazil mostly because the country had huge duties (fee's) on large displacement imported motorcycles and the countries infrastructure was proving many nicer roads to ride on during this period. The company built from 1978 to 1989 450 units. This one is a 1600cc DP, 4 spd, Dual disc brakes up front single Disc rear, Chain driven, weighs 950 plus pounds with fuel on board, but don't fret! This bike has Reverse.

Here ya go a 1983 Amazonas

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id love to see as many pics as you can share.. naked no tin pics, close ups of how the chain fitted so on... i have a bike idea to make up and id love to see how they did things.. heard of this in my late teens and till now never seen pics... love how they did the cooling tin..
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crsmp5 wrote:
id love to see as many pics as you can share.. naked no tin pics, close ups of how the chain fitted so on... i have a bike idea to make up and id love to see how they did things.. heard of this in my late teens and till now never seen pics... love how they did the cooling tin..

That is going to happen. I will document as I go. Problem is this is in a line of projects I am doing. It will be slow but I will be shooting pictures of the entire process. My initial plan is to see if I can get it running first? That will tell me where the drive line needs help and how I can address it. Once sorted out I will then restore the cosmetic's. I really want to use it for awhile with its patina, add a sidecar then paint to match. Biggest problem with these bike's is there are no suppliers of parts for them. Everything has to be hunted down. They used VW parts and Ford Parts and, and, and who knows what. Altho I am kinda digging the electrical tape seat patch. I actually put it up on a lift today (with help) but wont even get at taking the tins off till next week most likely. I am sure many will want to see the chain and how it's driven. Thanks for checking in!
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well from the conversation 20 years ago, they made 2 kinds, a low and high hp version.. duel carbs was rasy way to tell..

t was told they locked the drive flange on one side, then chain drive off the other.. anhd id love to see if such things are true..

shifter... what did they do?

i wanna build a newer watercooled kind.. just i wonder how they did the tranny... and seeing how air cooled was done helps
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crsmp5 wrote:
shifter... what did they do? i wanna build a newer watercooled kind.. just i wonder how they did the tranny... and seeing how air cooled was done helps

This would take care of the shifter and shorten the trans a bit.

http://www.ranchotransaxles.com/store/pbs-cable-shifter-p-68.html
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but i wanna see how they rigged their foot shifter thing, left foot by way things look, for the shifter.. as unlike most, it does not look to have hand shifter..
vwbug72501
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: I've got pics Reply with quote

I've got some pretty good pics of the shifter mechanism and YouTube links to Brazilian sites showing the shifter in operation. Let me find them. I'd really be interested in some dimensions for the shifter. It looke ugly but seems to work. Might take acouple of days. Glad to find someone who has one of these things where I won't have to learn Portugese.
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Driveline pic's Reply with quote

OK here ya go on how a Amazonas gets power to the chain drive and how the shifter system looks.

This is on the right side

Here is the left side. Had to pull the starter to get the battery out.

Here is the shifter controls the rider uses

Here is the where the shifter controls translate into gearbox commands

crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how does the shifter work? just back fourth, or does it also go side to side?

i would have expected the chain to be on the left side..

thanks for the pics.. what a odd duck that is..
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crsmp5 wrote:
so how does the shifter work? just back fourth, or does it also go side to side?

i would have expected the chain to be on the left side..

thanks for the pics.. what a odd duck that is..

ODD DUCK for sure! This thing is new to me and I have very little knowledge on how this system shifter system works. Many things are goofy on this bike. As an example, the front rotors are off a Ford car sold in Brazil I have read. I have one gas cap key, my locksmith is really good. He took a look at the key and just shook his head??? I should post a pic of that gas cap I guess? It looks like something right of a Ford Fairlane. The ignition keys I had him make he says altho not exactly correct, the blank he used is commonly used on the 1950's era Ford trucks???

All I had time for yesterday was to get at pulling the fiberglass shrouds and covers to expose the inner workings and remove the fiberglass fuel tank that I am going to re-line. I will keep posting pic's as I go.

Hopefully a Amazonas owner here or someone with knowledge will see this thread and chime in with info. Since they only produced 450 of them and they are such a monster of oddness I am not holding my breath.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil i have a kubvan, know a horder with a kurbwatt i got to drive even... so yea i like odd... i also love being master of knowledge on odd crap like kubvans... not so much on air cooled as one would expect.. just never got into them...

all i know is document it all... be king of info... taken me 20 years to see pics of one... so not like i rushing... just enjoying.. Smile

www.driiive.com is a nice face book for yur carbike... i was their first kubvan... someone else has done a bike.. but not one of these... Very Happy

free gallery/pic hosting.. timeline you can fill in during build.. they were few mo old when i found them.. they have done well.. i just hope the war brewing in their door steps do them no harm.. they over in poland area... Sad but car guys they are and lots of odd euro stuff to look at..
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Finding parts Reply with quote

Wow! Finding parts for this bike is a challenge for sure.

But check this out!

I put up a thread over in the performance section looking for help on identification of use for the Weber carb that is used on an Amazonas. Within 24 hours a Samba member (Boolean) from Stockholm Sweden gave me a heads up on where he has seen these carbs used before. Once I had that info the search was on. I bounced around the internet and made a few call's around the USA using his info and WHAMMO! I get a guy on the phone who says "there is only one company we know of that may supply this for you and here is their name and number" Good Luck! I make the call and sure enough they don't sell many rebuild kits for this model carb and he had to look it up (obviously these parts guys don't look much up and are old school SHARP) but within seconds I have two 2 rebuild kits being shipped to me. Crazy thing is they are less than 200 miles from where I live?
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumor is they made 2 models too.. one had duel carbs, high performance version.. and single carb version...

but ok.. looking at the pics.. ive wondered.. how did they supply air to it??

the manifold is on it reversed..

the fan shroud is built backwards.. does it have a generator or magneito type.. stuff ive been waiting for more pics of.. but no rush.. more courious how the ducted air to carb, and cooling.. and is there a "fan belt" in the hole..

also.. how do you add oil? or check it with sich a fan shroud..

yea i spent too much time looking at your pics.. Very Happy
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've found these things fascinating for a long time but never knew there were so few actually built.

interesting stuff indeed. Cool
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Maybe this will be of interest ? Reply with quote

I play with VMW's. VMW's are VW powered BMW's. Sold in kits or from two BMW dealers on the West Coast during the early 70's.

This is a Butterfield

Same bike, Going Cafe just got lazy and hitched a ride in my CC

This is a Willis 4's with a Ural sidecar

Pilot of the Willis 4's

I believe this to be a Brown. Cafe anyone?

oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, i 've seen other things with vw flat fours as well as the BMW.

i presume you are also a paul butterfield fan? Laughing

Link
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oorwullie wrote:
yep, i 've seen other things with vw flat fours as well as the BMW.

i presume you are also a paul butterfield fan? Laughing

Link

Exactly what I hear in my head when I am riding my Butterfield.

Nothing better than The Walking Blues while I am riding my Blue Wheeled Butterfield !
vwbug72501
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Shifter links Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3iX7HmSqDU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIRGaqJQ4cw

You have the earlier (cruder) shifter model. I have pictures of that one that I haven't been able to locate yet. The link above shows the latest model shifter design that looks much better. If you search for "trambulador" you will find more videos about the shifter and operation. Downside: they're all in Portuguese. I'll post as soon as I can locate them. I'm definitely interested in some dimensions when you get into it enough to take some measurements.

I'm interested in this for a front engine VW trike that I'm building.
2weel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Shifter links Reply with quote

vwbug72501 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3iX7HmSqDU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIRGaqJQ4cw

You have the earlier (cruder) shifter model. I have pictures of that one that I haven't been able to locate yet. The link above shows the latest model shifter design that looks much better. If you search for "trambulador" you will find more videos about the shifter and operation. Downside: they're all in Portuguese. I'll post as soon as I can locate them. I'm definitely interested in some dimensions when you get into it enough to take some measurements.

I'm interested in this for a front engine VW trike that I'm building.

GREAT POST. The Portuguese language is such a barrier for me. Don't know it and don't have anyone I know who speaks it. These video's are new to me.
I appreciate the links. Right now just looking for tune up parts for this 047 Distributor has lead me nowhere. Called some bigger aircooled VW suppliers and they either have said "what year and and Car is it?" meaning they only can sell me what info they put into the computer and I don't have anyone to cross reference skills or support. To, if its not on our cross reference we don't sell it. No Biggee! The hunt sometimes is a good portion of the fun. The Weber Carb it uses took less than 48 hours to track down a rebuild kit for.

Looking forward to your front engine build. Make sure you link back to this Amazonas thread so those that follow can find your build. If you have not? You need to contact Bud Burkey. He is just over in Grey Tennessee. He has figured out the shifting system that I think your looking for. Google his name and you will see his Blown VW bikes that are foot shifted. He is a GREAT GUY!
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread!

I'm fascinated by VW powered bikes and want to build some.
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: