Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 85 Golf 1.6
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUGSLEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: My 85 Golf 1.6 Reply with quote

Hello all,

Just wanted to say hi and show you my new to me Golf. I am the second owner of this car. The original owner spent a lot of time and money keeping this car on the road over the last few years but eventually he had enough. The shop I work for found him a newer 08 golf and when he came in to pick up his new car he handed me the keys to his old one. I was thrilled, my parents, not so much. I already have 3 VW's parked on the drive way . Although this car needs some work, It is way to nice to cut up for parts and or scrap.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The good,
Strong 1.6 diesel 250 000 km, 5 speed M/T ,minty interior (Seat covers since new), non power every thing, sun roof, very little visible body rust, FREE CAR. Laughing

The Bad,
needs a new front sub frame, has some rust around the read shock tower( outer on both sides, inner on right rear) a few small holes in the floor. Rolling Eyes

I have been looking for a donor car with the 1.6td engine to I can get as many parts as possible off of that. My biggest problem is all the vehicles I'm looking at are completely rusted out. I would really like to get this car back on the road, I'm just not willing to spend a fortune to do so. as I was not planning to take on another project.

Can any one suggest a parts supplier in north America, All I can seem to find are parts out of the UK. Which I would like to avoid due to shipping costs.

At the moment the car is stored about an hours drive away from my house, however I will be loosing the storage space once the snow melts. So I need to come up with a plan for it. Think

Thanks for reading,

Kyle
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good from the outside at least!

Some Rust repair panels can be found here.

http://www.klokkerholmusa.com/servlet/the-Volkswagen-cln-Golf-cln-1985-dsh-1992-MK2/Categories
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGSLEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's my main motivation for trying to keep it on the road.
I know it does have some parts value, I just don't think I could bring myself to tear it apart.

Thanks for the link on the panels!

now I just need to source a Sub Frame.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sub frame, well that's just a bolt on piece. Surely you could find one in a scrapyard? Or are those hard to come by unrusted where you are at as well? I never saw one really that bad when I was a mechanic in Colorado and back before the junkyard down the street from me here in Wyoming crushed their older cars, all the A2 cars were pretty solid on the frames - I put a rear beam from one of them into my 85 Golf.

-Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a good subframe from a 1985 diesel. It is buried under 2' of snow right now, once it melts I can dig it up if you havent found one by then.
I have a bunch of other parts for the MK2s also if you need anything else.

Andrew-
BUGSLEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thanks guys!

Andy,

Yeah it is a bolt on piece. Mine is rusted very badly and requires replacement in order to safety the car. The car is to old for the yards I have talked to. I have also looked at a few mk2 golfs thinking I could buy the whole car for the metal that I need plus the sub frame. I poked holes threw the sub frame with a screw driver on two of them and another was out of my price range for a parts car.

Andrew,

Thanks for the offer and if I don't have any luck locally I'll be contacting you.

Kyle
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite sure the subframe from a MK3 VW is the same.
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
BUGSLEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to look into that. That would make things much easier.

Kyle
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about that. Looking at the part numbers in a collision repair manual, the "front crossmember" is not the same part number.
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected. You can use the MK3 subframe, but you also have to use the MK3 passenger's side motor mount too.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5357528-...3-subframe
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
BUGSLEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the road again!!!

The car has spent most of the last year in storage while I was looking for a sub frame. I ended up going to look at an 86 golf that was very badly rusted with a good engine and transmission about an hour away from my house. I was very surprised when I looked under the car and saw a near perfect sub frame. however the owner was asking a little more then I was willing to spend(once I factored in towing and my time to tear down the car). I let him know that I was really only interested in the sub frame and if someone wanted to buy the car and strip it I would be interested. a few weeks go by and I kind of forget about it until I receive a E mail letting me know the car is sold and the new owner only wanted the engine. With in an hour of that I receive a text from the new owner letting me know if I'm still interested I can come pick up the sub frame in a day once its off the car, less then 5 minutes from work. So the next day I went and picked up the parts I needed for less then I would have spent on towing the car to my shop.
I love it when things work out.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeet!

Man I can't believe how nice your front bumper looks. I never see the bumpers from that era without the "trim strips" all faded to hell.

Out of random curiousity, what rims do you have under those hubcaps? I'm partial to these rims myself:

BUGSLEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not too sure what they looked like so I popped the hub caps off and found these. Then my dad cracked a joke telling me to put my hub caps on or ill get pulled over.
Apparently it illegal in Winnipeg to show your nuts! Laughing
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, same rims as mine! But yeah, a bit grungy from all the years hiding in the dark. (I think those wheels look fine without hubcaps with a decent coat of stock silver paint though.)
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:

Some Rust repair panels can be found here.

http://www.klokkerholmusa.com/servlet/the-Volkswagen-cln-Golf-cln-1985-dsh-1992-MK2/Categories

I'm working on a 4-door MK2 Golf now for my son (looks same as the white one above). I've had to replace the driver's rear inner and outer wheel arch, driver's rear corner, full rear panel, and the inner and outer gas filler section. Luckily, no issues on his with the sub-frame or strut towers. Best place I've found for repair panels is M&T Mfg. Look under 'Rabbit/Cabriolet' even though they're MK2s. Prices are reasonable, if not lower than Klokkerholm for the same parts, and service was great.

http://www.mtmfg.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: