Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 Riviera aka soon to be my new home!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: 78 Riviera aka soon to be my new home! Reply with quote

Hey all been here for a lil bit getting help fixing up my 69 bay window, and now Ive got a 78 Riviera that I am fixing up with a custom interior and eventual total restore and will be moving into it and traveling the world(hopefully!!).

figured I would make a thread for her (she doesnt have a name yet) for any help I may need or advice along the way! everyone was so helpful with my old bus I know that everything will go way more smoothly with you guys here in the new(er) one.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the "original" interior

spent this past sunday getting into her and stripping out the interior

the one problem me and my step dad encountered was the driver seat is stuck pretty firmly in place, got it soaked in PB, letting that sit to see if it helps.

gave the interior a nice scrubbing after it was all said and done. now to look into rust repair as it has a little bit of surface rust and to dig into the engine next weekend!
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and one thing I noticed about the engine when I got it was one of the mounts for the generator was cracked,

decided to go out and take a picture and see if anyone had any good leads on a replacement. been scouring the internet but so far no luck...

also heres the whole engine, gotta do some reading up on it as all my mechanical knowledge was gained from the '69...sooo type 1 engines is pretty much all I know about...should be fun, right Confused
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! You probably know this from reading here.

1) Replace your fuel lines and fuel vent lines.

2) Get a new engine seal.
(sold - but not forgotten)
mross
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alternator mount is just a piece of steel bent in a sort of "U" shape. If you can't find one, you might be able to make one with basic hand tools and a piece of strap steel from the hardware store. If you have a welder and are really careful, you might be able to weld up the one you have after removing it. You're also missing a few pieces of engine tin. There is supposed to be a piece of tin that fits over the alternator, and a sort of circular piece of plastic around the end of the alternator that directs cooling air into the vents. There is also a piece of plastic that snaps into the alternator surround tin to cover the belt tensioner bolt. When you remove the alternator, check the elbow that directs air into the fan shroud. They are frequently cracked, and can cause a cooling air leak.

Other than that, you're only missing the foam engine seal, from what I can see. Whoever owned it before you left the fuel injection, which is great! However, I would replace the fuel lines soon, as they tend to crack over time. If it doesn't quite run right, check for vacuum leaks in the various hoses going into the intake air tube behind the air flow meter. Also check the intake air tube for rips and cracks.

If you have any tips on getting the seat unstuck, I'd be happy to hear them; as I have the same problem on a 79.
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome man thanks for the help! trying to figure out all the differences and what I need to be looking for when I get into the engine.

she seems to run fine, drove her four hours to Oklahoma from Arkansas and she did great. def gunna get into the fuel lines and brakes and everything next weekend.

also sadly an overnight soak in PB did nothing to budge the seat...going to search for new options on that this week as well.
nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try some Naval Jelly on the seat tracks. Also try putting a metal bar on the end of the track that is attached to the seat and tap with a hammer to loosen it up.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bus!! Cool

If you want my honest opinion, pull the engine and clean EVERYTHING! You'll be able to get at the fuel tank, fuel filler neck and elbow and vent lines a lot easier too and not to mention those awkward deep parts of the engine that I'm sure are caked in dirt and oil.

Could you post the VIN also? 1978's didn't come with the divider wall behind the passenger seats. Also you have a round fuel filler cap and squareback seats with headrests. If I had to guess I'd say you had a 1974 or 1975 bus. A VIN or M-Code will give us the exact date it was made.
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one rare bus! A blue 78? Never heard of them. Cool
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice project!

For the seat, have you tried a rubber mallet? Mine was also stuck solid when I got it. Penetrating oil + some serious whacks with a mallet finally broke it loose.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys! Still waiting to go get the tools to do the rust repair and start the interior, and now this ice storm has prevented the engine work I planned on doing today. As far as pulling the engine the pictures show pretty much where she is to be worked on, how much harder is a type four engine to pull than a type one (still trying to figure out all the differences, but I do have the Bentley and Tom Wilson's rebuild book).

also took these pics of what I think is where the vin should be, looks to be a '78 from what the labels say at least...

DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing I had a question on is I need to replace the gaskets on the valve covers, and when I did this in the '69 bus I read on here that using real cork ones like the original was the best option. Is that still the case with the later bays or will any type gasket work?
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, stick with quality cork gaskets. I use a very thin swipe of grease on the head side, and Hylomar on the valve cover side.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys so been getting the rust out and coming up with a plan for the interior and I found this bundle of wires that comes out of the engine compartment and into the back of the bus. It was never connected to anything when I took the interior out and everything seems to run fine in the bus, any ideas on what it goes to?

Im going to be pulling the engine but not till after I get the flooring and panels put into the inside so it will most likely be covered at that point so Id like to know if it is something I need or what...
northernbus77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrKamikazi wrote:
.... how much harder is a type four engine to pull than a type one ....

These instructions make it easy.
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EngineRemoval.html

As for the wire bundle. I've seen better pictures of big foot Very Happy
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome thanks for the link! And yeah sorry haha, it looked a lot better on my phone. I'll take a new one tomorrow, but essentially it's a length of like ten or twelve wires that comes out of the rear passenger side of the floor and is a couple feet long. It went along the back of the bus and up the drivers side and just ended in a tangled mess under the sink before I tore the interior out.
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bulkhead behind the seat is odd for the year. Bummer for you as you are going to live in this and your passenger seat can't spin to face backwards.

Behind your drivers seat backrest may be a sticker with a color on it, likely in German. Let us know. The M-plate on your bus may be interesting, too. It's up under the dash on the drivers side rivited onto the top of the fresh air vent. Hard to see, some use a crayon and take a rubbing. A bunch of numbers that can tell you a lot about your bus.

You have chrome bumpers, too.

dugfresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 78 Riviera a well... Same stuck seat.. penetrating oil and lots of pushing with feet (stuart the destroyer) got it unstuck. Just get it started moving and it will get easier.

The fact that its a riviera makes it unique and different from the typical westies. The bulkhead is exactly the same as mine and many others. You'll probably have an early bar seat on the passenger side too.. The mcode will reveal a typical bus with portland delivery.

Welcome to riviera living! So chic Smile
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that I think of it I have a buddy with a blue 78 Riviera and know of another in a junkyard. So Riviera had a deal to get blue busses direct in 78?
dugfresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding.. is that a dealership in Portland couldn't keep westies on the shelf. Selling gangbusters. But in order to get another shipment of westies in, they had to sell all of their stock of every other type of bus. Panels, passengers.. etc... So, they came up with a scheme to get those buses out the door.. convert them All to campers. Some became pop tops, some became tin top campers. Either way they apparently had a good concept, because you see almost as many Rivis on the road in the PNW as you do Westies (ok... slight exageration)

But the result is a lot of odd bus combos out there. They came up with a lot of different interior options. They even would take your existing bus and convert it for you.
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks for all the info, had no idea about the randomness of Rivieras. It does make sense as Ive been tearing into the interior and stuff. I only have sundays to work on it at the moment so I'll get the info from the mplate and stuff this weekend.

Also ill try the penetrating oil, I already took the back of the seat off thinking that this would make it easier to try to jar loose. Is that how you did yours dugfresh?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: