Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

02 Golf - Dead cylinder issues.
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrPatchbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: 02 Golf - Dead cylinder issues. Reply with quote

Hello friends,

I bought an 02 Golf 2.0 a few months back, and have been gradually dealing with the issues I find with it. One particular issue has stumped both me AND my dad, who is a mechanic with 30 years experience.

One of the cylinders tends to die when the car is idling. Below 1500-1800 RPM, it will run on 3 cylinders, but above that all four fire just fine.

Some history: When I bought the car, it had 355,000 km on it and needed the timing belt replaced. Once we replaced the belt, we started the car up and discovered it was only running on 3. My dad figured the valves may have been damaged when the timing belt let go. He took off the head and found no damage, put it back together (replacing the head gasket of course) and THAT was when we discovered it would run fine above 1500 RPM.

My dad figured it might be a bad injector stuck open spraying too much fuel into the cylinder and washing to oil out so it can't get any compression, but when he called his parts supplier, they told him they'd never sold an injector for that engine, and that their main warehouse didn't even have one in stock, which suggests it might be another problem.

I'm just curious, has anyone else had this kind of issue? And what did you do to fix it?

Thanks for your help!
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if its got compression.. and spark... its gotta be a injector... swap with other hole to see if it moves... if not.. then id be ooking at the actual injector pulse.. all it needs to do is melt some solder like we know german electronics suck with...

but a poor spraying injector, say it pees like little boy vs mist.. higher rpm will usually make things mist better.. why id move injector to different hole first.. some grease and tender care, you do not even need to change the o-rings to test...

at that moment id add some wire to the wires for it, so you can view pulse via a noid light..

tst it.. see whats up.. order parts then..

the comps immo is your biggest fear... cannot install used one with out dealer to make run again...

fyi.. i bet immo controls injectors... why bad solder joint and 1500rpm vibration may fix..

just rember to change the injector o rings after your done testing.. vac leaks they may cause is simple.. and imo.. id make a new injector harness so i could test all 4 to compair signals..
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mind the Internet bs. The aba is interference. Your dads eyeball check likely missed something. Do a compression check.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chazz79 wrote:
Don't mind the Internet bs. The aba is interference. Your dads eyeball check likely missed something. Do a compression check.

HUH?!

It is definitely NOT interference. I have seen 2 cars (MK3 2.0) that have had sheared off crank timing pulley key-ways. One I fixed, one my friend put back together and it crapped out after a couple hundred miles (broke crank bolt, which I told him was going to happen).

Before realizing the key ways were sheared, we cranked the motor, multiple times. If it was an interference engine, the valves would have been hitting the pistons. Once I replaced the gear and reset the timing belt, the car fired right up and ran absolutely fine. 2.0's are certainly NOT interference engines.

Have you checked the injector wiring? Have you replaced all spark plugs and the plug wires?

My friend was having trouble on one recently, and he didn't have the Iridium plugs. The mk4 2.0's use Iridium plugs, you can't get by with anything else.

What codes are comming up??
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seen one hit/bend once.. ive seen 1.8 16v survive too.. but BOTH examples are uncommon... but it can happen..

why i said if compression is right, and you got spark.. it can be a injector...

ive had a car this winter eat one... i still think it froze with moisture in gas.. but it did happen..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: