Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Every Wheel Has Play: Time For The Shop?
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raphael Orlove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Every Wheel Has Play: Time For The Shop? Reply with quote

Howdy all, I'm getting my '73 Baja (I am this idiot http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6981463) ready for rallycross up in New Hampshire this sunday and a quick check last night revealed that

1) my right rear brake drum is cracked and

2) every wheel has play in it

So, I'm picking up new brake drums tomorrow which shouldn't be too hard to replace, but the wheel play is troubling.

Assuming the worst, that means my bearings are shot, right? Is this an easy thing to replace (as in, something I could do on Saturday morning having never done it before) or is this something that I should be taking the car to the shop for?

Sadly, the only aircooled specific shop in the NYC area is full up with cars at the moment, so I would be going to just some import car garage for the fix.

Here's how the car is looking these days
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

many thanks,
Raph
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearings are no big deal if you have a hammer and a drift and don't mind getting grease on ya. You can do it. Just hope you have a warm place to do it.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would first make sure the rear hubs are torqued properly to see if it takes up any slack. And maybe just repack and adjust the fronts. The rear bearings usually tap right out, but a press is nice for the fronts.
Raphael Orlove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORANGECRUSHer wrote:
Bearings are no big deal if you have a hammer and a drift and don't mind getting grease on ya. You can do it. Just hope you have a warm place to do it.
wait, what's a drift? Also, it was snowing this morning. Fun times!
Raphael Orlove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tripicana wrote:
I would first make sure the rear hubs are torqued properly to see if it takes up any slack. And maybe just repack and adjust the fronts. The rear bearings usually tap right out, but a press is nice for the fronts.
Come to think of it, is it easy for me to get at the rear drum at all? Won't it take some huge wrench to get access to it?
utahclaimjumper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from your questions, you will probably create more problems than repair.>>>Dan

Last edited by utahclaimjumper on Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raphael Orlove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

utahclaimjumper wrote:
Judging from your questions, you will probably create more problems that repair.>>>Dan
This is a very fair assessment. I've since called a shop, who hopefully can help me out. Otherwise someone with more aircooled experience offered to help me up in NH if I still need work done.
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the rear hubs, make sure you have a VW nut on there holding the drum on and NOT an aftermarket nut. Especially look out for the 'gold' colored nuts. They are NOT the same size and will cause you a WORLD of grief. If you don't have a guy like DWP nearby to dig you out of that hole, you will spend countless hours and dollars trying to ID the problem.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
md perf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what class are you running rallycross in? with the 'mods' that have been done, even the cosmetic ones make a huge difference. SCCA rules?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: