Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

mountainkowboy's 71 Ghia
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: mountainkowboy's 71 Ghia Reply with quote

The chronicle of the Ghia........its a keeper and will be my DD eventually!

Went down this morning and picked it up. All in all its in pretty good shape, there's a little rust in the drivers rear pan area, battery tray, and a little in the lower front. The rockers seem to be in pretty good shape, no bubbles or rot from the outside and straight. The nose show evidence of being tapped and has cracking bondo showing, its pretty straight from the inside. I'm sure there will be more as I get into it. Steering feels tight, rolls without issues, and by first impressions it looks like its never been in a major accident. The interior is trashed and needs a complete redo, he didn't say why he quit driving it, but hinted about electrical problems. He bought it in 2001 in New Mexico and drove it to CA, 3 years on the road and he parked it. He hinted that it has a "big" engine and is kinda squirrely unless the gas tank is full. The missing front blade bumper was inside the car and in good condition, with the over-riders, along with a brand new woodgrain dash panel. There was a bunch of new parts in a box and in the trunk, I saw mirrors, and cables, but will go through it later.....after the storm. I was the first one to contact him and made the deal. He said this morning he had 73 emails about the add..... Twisted Evil sometimes I get lucky.....$1000.00, I didn't try to get it cheaper IMO he under sold it.

Loaded and ready to go, I sure am glad for my little portable winch!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Made it home without issue and with a few thumbs up on the way.

71 Super Convertible...DD
78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"

Last edited by mountainkowboy on Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear it's solid Smile good news about the bumper being in the car as well. Look forward to seeing the restoration!
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great candidate. Nowhere near as frightening as your avatar Laughing

I will enjoy your restoration thread

Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think $1000 for a solid, straight, mostly rust-free body is a steal! Just for fun, say another $1000 for the interior (at 43 years old almost any '71 Ghia will need much here), $1000 for mechanical work to get it up and running and safe, another $1000 for other miscellaneous bits, plus your labor to put it all together and buff it out (which is the satisfying part anyway so we'll say that's no cost) = $4000 for a really nice, complete '71 Ghia = much less than I paid for my '70. Good job!
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss my 71. Looks like you have a good candidate there.
Batten down the hatches, looks like the next 3 days is gonna get wet Shocked Confused Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unloaded it this afternoon.....the brakes still work after sitting for 10 years. I did however add a dent, it fell off the trailer ramp, just a little one though. I think I should have it running/driving by mid next week...at least enough to see if the drivetrain is in decent order.

78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
junie5047
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good, same year and color as mine and the condition was almost exactly the same as mine including where it rusted ,enjoy the resto i am just starting body repair this week

ctvwa
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the rear reflectors available for them?

78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can find some good used reflectors in the classifieds. i think kgpr has new lenses and re chromed bases.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ghia is now in the work area for now to assess its overall condition of body and drivetrain. I should have a good idea of what it needs and how it runs by the end of the week.

So here is what I'm starting with from the outside.

If you can see it there is some rust under the battery and the cross panel next to the battery tray. I cant find anything that hints of a hit in the rear. You might be able to see the slight wrinkle in the right front spare tire area, but its very slight, other than that and the little bondo that I can see cracking in the nose there is no other signs of damage or hits. Its missing some of the trim pieces and the ones that go under the 1/4 windows don't look so good.

The drivers side is soaking wet after the storms and farther inspection shows that both the front and rear windows are not fully installed in the bottom drivers corners. The rubber is hard as a rock and will be replaced ASAP. The "B" pillar on the drivers side is broken at the bottom mounting point and the rubber on both pop-outs is almost non existent, as is the rubber for the rest of the car, so it leaks badly in the rain. Good thing I'm in the desert and we don't get much. It came with the front bumper in the trunk, and it appears to be compete and straight, over-riders and everything.

That's it for now, I will get to the interior later.

78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
ScottDoonan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great solid car. Make a list and knock one thing off at a time. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

1959 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet (current restoration)
1965 Porsche 356 SC coupe
1967 Volkswagen Convertible Beetle
1969 Porsche 911E Targa 3.2 twin plug
2006 Porsche 987 Rüf 3400K Prototype #2 of 2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rickpereira
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome! another 71!.. i look foward to seeing your progress. take lots of pics Smile
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, we had the sun pop out late in the afternoon. Pulled the plugs and they looked good, cleaned and re-gapped them. fogged the cylinders with WD-40 and let them sit for an hour or so, put it in 4th gear and rocked the car back and forth. The engine turned freely, so I pushed it forward about 5 feet. The engine spun about 10 times and huffed at each plug hole, I reinstalled the clean plugs and went through the old real Bosh 009 dizzy.......it just might run today.

78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITS ALIVE!!!!

So this morning I went and got some fuel line, adjusted the valves, changed the oil, and attempted to start it. The fuel pump is shot and it would only run till the prime ran out. So I ended up with my 1/2 gallon gravity feed tank, its made from an old snow blower and can be hung almost anywhere.

Little prime and it runs, little smoky at first, WD 40, but that cleared up and it runs pretty good. No odd noises in the engine, no horrible oil leaks, and the gen even charges. The throw out bearing is making noise, but other than that I think I'll pull the tank, clean it, replace the fuel pump, and the rest of the fuel lines and take it for a short drive to asses the transmissions condition. After that the engine comes out for a reseal, pull the trans and clean it up, check the CV's, and replace all the rear suspension bushings and all the soft brake lines. I know why it was parked now.............not much works on the electrical side! No wipers, lights, turn signals, and by looking in the trunk.....someone shouldn't have attempted to "fix" it....LOL! That's OK, cause electrical and I get along REALLY good. I think I can have it fixed in a couple of days unless I need parts.

That all for now!

78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a real late start today, we closed escrow this morning on our new pad and that took all morning to get done. Nothing big just a little pad for me and the wife while we are takin care of the "Mom's" on there down-hill side of life. Closer to them and to the wife's work.

So anyway, today I pulled the tank out and cleaned it. It had about a 1/2 gallon of turned gas in it....yuk.... so I pulled the fuel outlet of and pulled the screen out. Little water and dawn dish soap with about 2 pounds of nuts and bolts....shake well, rinse and repeat till clean.....which it is now. I did my 10ga solid core wire down the fuel line trick, followed by a solvent soak and a compressed air clean out. The fuel line in the tunnel is clear as a bell now.

While I have the tank out I will replace the blue brake hoses and the master cyl looks brand new.....and wouldn't you know, It was originally red....looks to be Colorado Red, just like the vert, and the 71 parts bug....lol!

78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know the ultimate reason for its parking......lol, talk about Mr Toads Wild Ride! The drivers pivot bolt on the rear trailing arm was gone. I found it while replacing the fuel lines. I was removing the tire for better access and it was moving all over the place. I was thinking the rear bearings on the stub till I heard the clunking. Replaced the bolt and washers, then finished the fuel system stuff, new hoses, cleaned tank, added filter up front, new pump, and YAHOOOOO....it moves under its own power, at least in the backyard.

78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
akear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountainkowboy wrote:
....and wouldn't you know, It was originally red....looks to be Colorado Red, just like the vert, and the 71 parts bug....lol

I see a whole lot of yellow. Seems remarkable to me that someone would go through such trouble of tearing everything down for a color change with this car, given these cars weren't worth much at all at the time it was probably done. Does anyone think the red and yellow could have both been from the factory?
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akear wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
....and wouldn't you know, It was originally red....looks to be Colorado Red, just like the vert, and the 71 parts bug....lol

I see a whole lot of yellow. Seems remarkable to me that someone would go through such trouble of tearing everything down for a color change with this car, given these cars weren't worth much at all at the time it was probably done. Does anyone think the red and yellow could have both been from the factory?

Its red under the yellow and in hidden places like under the gas tank, the under side of the cowl and such.

78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
mountainkowboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went for a drive late this afternoon, the 32/36 DF is in bad need of a rebuild. It does 2 things idles and full throttle, other than that its one big flat spot. On the brighter side though the engine seems to be in decent condition with good power, but its not a big motor, feels stock. The brakes work pretty good for not being used for 10 years......lol, and the trans is in good condition with no grinds or noises. There is oil leaks and the bottom of the engine is caked in it, so the engine is getting pulled for a 1776 build and the stocker that I have for the convertible will go in it for now. The Ghia is in much better condition than the convertible, rust wise, so I will get it back on the road and tear into the verts rust issues since I will have a full shop and lifts to play with soon.

78 Honda CB750K
06 Honda CR-V (wifes)
63 IH Scout 80 "Beater"
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see it running so quickly !

Never had mine moving under its own steam as it was a bag of bits when I bought it
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: