Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Your favorite pulley and why?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does not matter what end of the crank you hang weight. If you have a 8 lb flywheel an a 8 lb pulley then you have 16 lbs. If you have a 15 lb flywheel and a 1 lb pulley you still have 16 lb. By splitting the weight you spread the weight across all the bearings and they all last longer. If you put all the weight on one end then that end bearing gets all the abuse. I've never had a Berg pulley leak a drop of oil so I've never had a need for a damn sand seal.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Autocraft pulley.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:
I get a bit confused by the online ads - if I am looking for a lighter pulley than the Berg, does anyone know of a full sized pulley with a steel hub to suit a sand seal?

Jaycee.

I don't think electrickery works that way
hooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:
I get a bit confused by the online ads - if I am looking for a lighter pulley than the Berg, does anyone know of a full sized pulley with a steel hub to suit a sand seal?

=================================
The last time I bought sand seal pulleys from CB Performance they had the steel sleeve for the sand seal to ride on. The pulleys are slightly smaller that stock size though.

I spent most my money on women and VW race cars. The rest I wasted.

Last edited by hooker on Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, most aftermarket pullies are 6 3/4 when the stock size should be 7". CB had a sand seal pulley that was a full 7" with a steel sleeved collar. The Empi etched one has a steel sleeved collar as well but comes in at 6 3/4" The Jay Cee pullies are very nice as well (not sure about the diameter).

On one of my engines I wanted to run a Berg like Achiever pulley but in sand seal and ended up buying one of the clone Empi ones instead of turning down my Berg one. The Empi one is very nice as well-in fact better fit and finish than the Berg and I ended up selling the Berg (although it was just sitting around the quality was there).
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Yes, most aftermarket pullies are 6 3/4 when the stock size should be 7". CB had a sand seal pulley that was a full 7" with a steel sleeved collar. The Empi etched one has a steel sleeved collar as well but comes in at 6 3/4" The Jay Cee pullies are very nice as well (not sure about the diameter).

On one of my engines I wanted to run a Berg like Achiever pulley but in sand seal and ended up buying one of the clone Empi ones instead of turning down my Berg one. The Empi one is very nice as well-in fact better fit and finish than the Berg and I ended up selling the Berg (although it was just sitting around the quality was there).

Do you have a photo of the empi pulley?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
It does not matter what end of the crank you hang weight. If you have a 8 lb flywheel an a 8 lb pulley then you have 16 lbs. If you have a 15 lb flywheel and a 1 lb pulley you still have 16 lb. By splitting the weight you spread the weight across all the bearings and they all last longer. If you put all the weight on one end then that end bearing gets all the abuse. I've never had a Berg pulley leak a drop of oil so I've never had a need for a damn sand seal.

I was discussing this topic with some of the guys at CB performance and they said a heavy pulley may lead to increased wear on the small main bearing, I was surprised because I was actually going to buy their 6lb equalizer pulley and they talked me out of it.

I've never disassembled an engine that had a heavy pulley but I've never heard of anyone having this issue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itHaKa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:

http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2018

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

I was discussing this topic with some of the guys at CB performance and they said a heavy pulley may lead to increased wear on the small main bearing, I was surprised because I was actually going to buy their 6lb equalizer pulley and they talked me out of it.

I've never disassembled an engine that had a heavy pulley but I've never heard of anyone having this issue
heavy pully is harder on the crank,and can twist and or break it .you want weight on the power transmiting end,not the non power transmiting end.that just trys to twist the crank uppon shifts&launches. you dont want the flywheel effect on the pully/non power transmiting end of the crank. But berg was a god& Im just a moron.
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly right - cam twist on V8 engine, especially with stiff springs is well documented. Also flywheel shift on harleys. Everything distorts under load and cranks are no different. The inertia used in drag racing off the line needs to be stored in the flywheel rather than transmitted thru the length of the crank.

mark tucker wrote:
vugbug68 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

heavy pully is harder on the crank,and can twist and or break it .you want weight on the power transmiting end,not the non power transmiting end.that just trys to twist the crank uppon shifts&launches. you dont want the flywheel effect on the pully/non power transmiting end of the crank. But berg was a god& Im just a moron.

1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Sorry, it makes a big difference. 1lb at 3" is hugely different to 1lb at 5" and there are some great articles on balancing around, try http://johnmaherracing.com/2013/01/project-2110-part-4-dynamic-balancing/
Berg's heavy pulleys are meant to be a form of harmonic damper, but would be far more effective if they had a rubber piece between the inside and outside diameters. Not opposed to them, but a high revving engine is better off with a light and strong pulley.

Special thanks to itHaKa and others who answered my question, I hope it isn't considered hijacking. No thanks to the drivel - my favourite is the "twist the end off the crank" story, a sure sign that someone is regurgitating stuff they have read without understanding.
c.ruber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the input. I've been running the Berg equalizer and have had mixed feelings about it. I'm not into bling and would rather go with function over aesthetics any day. I'm also running a quality crank and feel that crank twist should be considered. I want to try a different pulley and will be looking into a quality replacement for the equalizer. Thank you.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scat&cb have very nice pullys,Im contemplating the cb billet oe lookalike aluminum pully for my 356 engine(2387cc or larger)
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a crank snout get beat up by the heavy pulley twice.

The instructions say use locktite and use heavy duty bolt/washer and torque the bolt higher, and of course not on a iron crank, follow the instructions and should be ok, but it does happen.
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. The CB with a steel hub looks the best, but I haven't tried one. There aren't many decent hubs out there except the steel ones as most have aluminium at the outer or inner surface of the hub, or are power pulley size, and there is a dearth of information on most.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprized nobody said 'Fisher' Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmike wrote:

Want one - even if it ends up on my wall!
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quokka42 wrote:
madmike wrote:

Want one - even if it ends up on my wall!

Here is mine:

Sharig1979
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen one of those. Interesting.
~118 mph on the salt at WoS 2012, 7k in 3rd, can't wait to figure out how to drive that engine on that stuff.

1972 914/4, 1.7
1977 911S 2.7
1991 GTI 1.8 8v, 4speed-Sold
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were discontinued because at $350 very few sold.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: