Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

shocks for 61 ghia
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tribalbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: shocks for 61 ghia Reply with quote

what would you guys recomend,kyb,gabriel,boge.who makes the best shock for the buck?i have a friend with a 61' ghia and the back end is lower than dr. dre's 64 impala.any help would be apriciated.......Louis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocks will solve part of the problem. The other part is re-indexing the torsion bars. Set those a couple of splines (a la Bentley) and a good set of Gabriels should do the trick. If you can get some Koni shocks, even better. Those can actually be rebuilt and are highly recommended.
Antiquari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Louis and Dick! I checked a parts store and they have their 'stock' shocks at $12.95 each and then they sell Bilsteins at $45 each. The Bilsteins are adjustable, however I am not interested in raising/lowering the car -I am trying to keep it stock.
* Would the plain $12.95 shocks be the closest to what came with the car in 1961?
* Also, if I go with some other expensive brand, can I get away with putting 2 cheap ones in front, and 2 expesive ones in the back?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Antiquari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I have found out. Have any of you had any experience with Sachs shocks?

>ONI - Shocks-N/A
> KYB - Shocks-Stiff
> BILSTEIN - Shocks-Stiff
> NEUSPEED - Shocks-N/A

> Sachs OE equivalent $99.00 set of 4

They are pointing me to Sachs for a OE experience.

Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tribalbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man someone did their homework!i would go with bilsteins or kyb.just my opinion.man shocks for ghias are alot cheaper than busses.i have the kyb on my bus and considering it a 45 year old bread loaf on wheels it rides nice.i think dick is right though.replacing the rear shocks might not entirely solve the sagging problem.might have to adjust torsions.........

Last edited by Tribalbus on Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tribalbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh duh i didn't read about the sachs,go with them.sounds like a good deal.i haven't heard much about them though...
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KYB is usually a recommended shock. Either way, I recommend adjusting the torsion index once you install new shocks. Don't go low dollar on the front vs rear. Just install a good set and then go from there.
Ghiaddict
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Sagging suspension will not be properly remedied by fitting new shocks.
Plan on doing torsion adjustment(s).

Karmann Ghia & Beetle parts available.
Convertible tops installed.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Antiquari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice... For that year Ghia, how would you go about adjusting the torsion index. A better question would be "how involved of a job is that." Do you need any special tools or parts?
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antiquari wrote:
Thank you for the advice... For that year Ghia, how would you go about adjusting the torsion index. A better question would be "how involved of a job is that." Do you need any special tools or parts?

You need to go to http://www.cip1.com and order the Bentley manual that covers your year Ghia. You can order it from the Bentley web site, but it's more expensive. The only special tools are time, a jack, jack stands, and some wrenches. Good luck, and let us know how you do.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: