Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 hp auto cross motor
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: 40 hp auto cross motor Reply with quote

Tuesday 3/18/ 2014 .Hi update. Change of plans . Was going to super charge motor or turbo it .well I could not pass on a set of vanguard dual carbs and air cleaners and vanguard valve covers .i know I said dual stock carb don't make that much hp .but they will look sweet on my motor and in my vanguard bobsy formula vee I have brand new 30 pict 1 carbs coming I am making a new linkage for the dual carbs it's been a big pain in the butt but I think I made a better linkage set up . When I get the carbs I will post the dual carb set up on the motor thanks spencerfvee......am building a 40 hp motor for auto cross raceing . As every one knows .every one builds there motors different . so I do things that others might not do when building there motor. this is the way I am building a auto cross motor . I started out with a 40 hp case that was in a formula vee race car . the case was line bored 20 over and cut for cam bearings . it also had case savers .witch was all done .I then cleaned the case up with a die grinder. After that was done I made a brace to hold the oil pick up tube. In place .i did not like the pick up tube moving around .i used a brace off of a newer pick up tube .i then added a longer tube for the deep sump . I like using a deep sump for auto cross it helps keep the oil off of the crank . I then drilled two holes in the case wall where the cam gears are . to drain oil from the cam gears .in the past I found out that a lot of oil builds up on the gears and pushes oil out of the breather tube at high rpm . I then matched the oil pump inlet and outlet holes to the case . On the crank I found a std std crank .i added directional oil troughs to the main bearings on the crank.for better oiling[img]i installed a straight cut gear to the crank .and a race spacer . i like to use steel backed bearings on number two main and number 3 main . when I use a none counter weighted crank . I then added a set of nos 1965 rods to the crank .i then installed the dizy and shimmed it so it had 6 thousand end play . I don't like using the spring it lets the dizy drive gear move up and down and the timing will change .on the oil pump . I like to install it befor I put the case half together .so I use bolts I and not studs .i use high tack gasket sealer around the oil pump intake and out let holes to get a good seal .i then put the case together and use 30lbs on the big case studs and 15 lbs on the outer studs on the case ..on the dizy I use a 1968 auto stick . I took the auto stick dizy a part and installed a German 009 guts .I like to set the 009 to 28 total and let the vac fall where it wants to around 39 to 40 total with the vac . I like using the vac. Because when I am in 3rd and 4 th gear it retards the dizy to 28 degs and pulls a lot harder on top end . It's a old drag racer trick .i am using a scat c25 cam because it opens the intake valves sooner and closes the intake valves later than a engle 100 cam does . In turn giving the motor more fuel At lower rpms. than the 100 engle cam does . just my two cents on the cam guys ? I don't want to get into a contest on who's cam is better lol. I installed a stock 200mm 6 volt fly wheel I like a heavy fly wheel for auto cross racing .i can come out of the turns harder also a heavy fly wheel helps to keep the crank from beating out number two main bearing .i then installed a heavy duty gland nut .to 400 lbs with red lock tight. I am using a dog house fan housing with a dog house oil cooler. On the heads I am using a set of 1965 40 hp heads .i ported them .installed new guides . I cut down a set of stainless steel valves .and ended up with 34 mm on the intake valves .and 31mm on the exhaust valves . I used the stock valve seats. Because I wanted to keep things simple .and I wanted to keep velocity high on the intake valves .some times bigger is not better .when it comes to using bigger valve seats . I then did a 3 angle valve job . And cut the heads 100 thou. For 8:1cr .i then cut the heads for dual springs .i used chromoly retainers . I am using stock rockers from a 1600cc motor .with a solid race shaft. I am at a stand still on the motor .I used a set of male 83 mm cyls and found out the deck is only 24 thou.so I am waiting for cyl. Shims so I can install the heads More to come spencerfvee
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by spencerfvee on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp auto cross motor Reply with quote

I got the fan housing on and tin . And gen. On the motor today .The intake manifold I am using is a stock 1971 .i am using a 34 pic carb .I like the 34 pic carb this one has a stock 26 mm Venturi .the carb is jetted with a 132 main 60 air jet and 55 idl. Jet .i have a 34 pic carb with a 28 mm Venturi . That I will try on this motor .i have found out over the years that on some motors happiness is a single carb .yes dual stock carbs look good on a old 40 hp motors. Most dual carbs for a 40 hp motor don't run that well because guys are using the old 36 hp carbs .because they look better .on a vintage motor. If that's there thing go for it .in the past I have run dual stock carbs on a 40 hp motor .i did not care for them at all .just my two cents guys .I bought a after market intake. And cut the end castings off . And cut down the stock intake manifold to fit the 40 hp motor And fitted the after market end castings on the stock intake manifold . Spencerfvee Update I just got the cyls shims .and I got the heads on and the male 83 mm cyls . When I install the heads and cyls I leave the heads and cyls. Loose and turn the motor over 4 to 6 times to center the cyls to the crank .so it does not turn in a bind a old dean lowery trick also befor I install the cyls I cut 10 thou.off of the bottom out OD of the cyls giving me 20 thou.side Clearance helping to center the cyls with the crank this trick can free up hp also formula vee guys have done this and i installed a set of scat push rod tubes. Motors been a lot of fun to build next will be the rockers and valve covers .i also have a strange intake set up I want to try

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp auto cross motor Reply with quote

Hi the motor is all done I am waiting for winter to be over .my friend is going to let me break the motor in .in his pipe buggy .i finished the the motor by installing a set of Taylor wire and a Bosch blue coil a vintage set of Baja header for a 40 hp and a belt guard .i want to make a statement on using a belt guard .my kid wanted me to check her fan belt and started the motor when I had my hand on the belt my finger went through the pulley and cut it off . I did not know blood would shoot 3 to 4 feet in the air .it cost $8,000.00 to put my finger back on . And a lot of pain believe me run a belt guard on your motors it only takes a second to hurt you . If your hand gets close to the belt .I can't wait to start the motor when the weather breaks it's been a lot of work putting this motor together I spent about $1,400..00 on parts not to bad for a 40 hp motor build hope every one liked my build keep on buggeing guys spencerfvee. I will up date on how the motor runs ...airquote="spencerfvee"]I got the fan housing on and tin . And gen. On the motor today .The intake manifold I am using is a stock 1971 .i am using a 34 pic carb .I like the 34 pic carb this one has a stock 26 mm Venturi .the carb is jetted with a 132 main 60 air jet and 55 idl. Jet .i have a 34 pic carb with a 28 mm Venturi . That I will try on this motor .i have found out over the years that on some motors happiness is a single carb .yes dual stock carbs look good on a old 40 hp motors. Most dual carbs for a 40 hp motor don't run that well because guys are using the old 36 hp carbs .because they look better .on a vintage motor. If that's there thing go for it .in the past I have run dual stock carbs on a 40 hp motor .i did not care for them at all .just my two cents guys .I bought a after market intake. And cut the end castings off . And cut down the stock intake manifold to fit the 40 hp motor And fitted the after market end castings on the stock intake manifold . Spencerfvee Update I just got the cyls shims .and I got the heads on and the male 83 mm cyls . When I install the heads and cyls I leave the heads and cyls. Loose and turn the motor over 4 to 6 times to center the cyls to the crank .so it does not turn in a bind a old dean lowery trick also befor I install the cyls I cut 10 thou.off of the bottom out OD of the cyls giving me 20 thou.side Clearance helping to center the cyls with the crank this trick can free up hp also formula vee guys have done this and i installed a set of scat push rod tubes. Motors been a lot of fun to build next will be the rockers and valve covers .i also have a strange intake set up I want to try

AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIce build .I wish I had talked to you about my 40hp builds.Like you I cant wait for spring so I can taste the rewards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the e mail . On the weather it was 68 out today here in Ohio .but to night it's going to drop down in the teens and snow crazy weather what kind of 40 hp build did you do ? In the past I have done a lot of 1600 builds that are more easy to build than a 40 hp .because there is not a lot of after market speed parts out there .the hardest thing to find is a good header for a 40 hp motor .. I am thinking of super charging this motor ? I will not use a Judson lol because guys want way to much money for a Judson .and the Judson does not put that much hp out for the money the guys are asking I will say one thing they do look real cool on a 40 hp motor .if I can't find a small super charger I will turbo the motor .theres a lot of small turbos out there . I can't wait to get this 40 hp motor running. After I work all the bugs out of it ? Iam going to put it in my restored bobsy formula vee race car if you can send some pictures of your 40 hp motor and the car your putting it in . Also any one else that has a 40 hp motor I would very much like to see what you have done .take care spencerfvee
AirCooledClassics wrote:
NIce build .I wish I had talked to you about my 40hp builds.Like you I cant wait for spring so I can taste the rewards.
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted on my builds, I was is syndey aus, At Steve Mullers shop and he was showing me some nice superchargers he had salvaged off subaru's. He had plenty of experience and I believe the product is sitting in a wrecker somewhere.He had a godfrey supercharger on his 36 hp land speed car and It put out 80 plus hp on the dyno.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for info on the super chargers . I will look for your post on samba take care spencerfvee
AirCooledClassics wrote:
I posted on my builds, I was is syndey aus, At Steve Mullers shop and he was showing me some nice superchargers he had salvaged off subaru's. He had plenty of experience and I believe the product is sitting in a wrecker somewhere.He had a godfrey supercharger on his 36 hp land speed car and It put out 80 plus hp on the dyno.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Vanguard dual carbs Reply with quote

Update I just got the vanguard dual carb set up all done .i was lucky to find a all most complet vanguard dual carb set up .i had to make a carb bracket because one was missing .i did not like the vanguard linkage set up so I made my own it works much better I have the org. Vanguard linkage . I was also very lucky to have a set of vanguard org. Air cleaners NOS I restord the vanguard valve covers pictures coming soon and I put brand new 30 pict carbs on the motor look great . I all so went with a nos Mallory coil and dizy I have found out over the years that the Mallory dizy can be set up to run with dual carbs it's just finding that right advance curve lol I can't wait to start this motor up the weather here turned bad snow snow I hate snow[img]
[/img][img]
[/img][img]
[/img]
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi every one well I have changed my mind again I now have super charged my 40 hp motor .with a vintage pepco super charger it was one hell of a job to make a pepco super charger fit a 40 hp motor .i had to have a bottom pulley made that was for a Judson super charger because I had to move the super charger back 2" because the bobsy formula vee does not have a lot of room between the motor and the fire wall I had to make new mounting plates for the intake manifold to move the super charger back . Every thing worked out I am very happy with the way the super charger came out I allso am using a vertex mag and a EMPI 30 pic carb can't wait to fire this motor up and i did pay a lot of money for the pepco super charger but it was worth it pepcos are very hard to find I found that out lol and parts are just not out there so you have to have the parts made .and that's very costly thanks spencerfvee....... pepcospencerfvee
AirCooledClassics wrote:

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Pepco super charger 40 hp motor Reply with quote

Hi this is what I did to move the super charger back ..I made a new bottom plate and centered the exit hole from the super charger this moved the super charger back to Aline it with the Judson bottom pulley I then had to cut the gen. Pulley lip off like the Judson guys do so the belt won't hit the out side pulley I then cut a scat deg.pulley so the Judson pulley would fit on the inside I allso had to make a support bracket I allso opend up the 40 hp intake manifold to the bigger hole that is the same size as. The 30 pic carb .i allso jetted the card with a 140 main jet 130 air jet and a 60 idle jet I installed a 175 needle and seat I allso set the carb up with a bigger pump shot hope that helped you Thomas. Take care spencerfvee quote="AirCooledClassics"]NIce build .I wish I had talked to you about my 40hp builds.Like you I cant wait for spring so I can taste the rewards.[/quote]

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: