Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1969 Military Volksrod Bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an old oil bath air cleaner painted army green would look bad ass atop that engine, just my opinion.
At first I was searching for a barf emoticon, but that thing is cool as hell. love the ammo box tail light deals on each side!

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it needs one of these!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
Or one of these.... Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice looking concept...a little light on the structure though.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea but look how easy it is to keep the floor clean.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Natel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing is great. Im from Montana, the land of no automotive restriction, alot of rat rod style builds up here. Its refreshing to see a bug turn out so well in a different style other than the standard defendered chop top out of the box look. Fantastic job.
el Mao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the compliments. Like many of you said, I didn't just want to make the typical chop job without fenders and a beam extension. everyone is doing that now so I just went with my own thing.

VDubNut:
The fold down window is a great idea, I'll see if I can make something. I also have an idea of making some bows to put a canvas top all the way to the back. we'll see.

DirtyCossack:
I don't know what you are talking about Rolling Eyes I bought all my surplus stuff from ebay. I swear to god, and no, I'm not a 91E I was a 12B (BTW I'm atheist) Twisted Evil

truckerb1 & nexgen:
The engine is a 1600 single port with a counterweighted crank and I-beam rods. everything else is stock except the valve springs that are single heavy duty for the increase revs and moderate boost.
The supercharger is an AMR500 out of some Japanese car. I got it from Japan and I'm selling them for $400 +shipping.
The ignition is using a megajolt unit with crank trigger wheel and ford EDIS4 and coil. I think it performs pretty good. I am trying to get a bigger single barrel carb. like a 44 Kaddron or something. I get about 6PSI of boost the way it is geared now. if I get a smaller pulley I could go to 8PSI but it's good the way it is right now. I estimate about 80HP. good enough for such a light vehicle. I drove it on the highway to 94MPH. I almost shat myself. those tires are not meant for speed.

ROCKORD71: Great idea about the oil bath air cleaner. I'm going to the Lakeland Classic show next weekend. I'll try to pick one up.

Johnnypan:
Maybe it seems light but I used some statics principles and some common sense on the structure, I took some physics in coolege and some structure classes too so that helped. If you watched the video you can see that I have used it for more than show. and so far it is still straight.

Lusting69:
after taking it on that dirt track I really want to do it.

69 (o\ ! /o)
el Mao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I have it up for sale in case anyone is interested:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1608025

69 (o\ ! /o)
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

el Mao wrote:
I took some physics in coolege

really...bet you figured English wasn't worth the time huh..
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:

Nice looking concept...a little light on the structure though.

Got to thinking to myself when I saw that pic, "Hey, that looks a lot like an old set of metal shelves my dad had when I was a little kid, wonder if that's what he's using to build a car."

Then I saw this pic and got my answer...

Love the imagination put into this project, must admit it looks really cool, but I just can't get over the thought of driving a set of shelves down the road.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, is there a reason you chose the Erector set over stock floorpans? You kept enough of the body that you could have left the floorpans and heater channels alone, leaving you a vehicle that is still structurally sound. Hell, I would have built a roll cage as well, but I'm a jeep guy so.....
el Mao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing LMAO
mukluk you are damn right. They are not the flimsy home depot shelves with bent perforated rails. These are old heavy duty steel angles. they are very strong and the important thing is how I placed them. Steel is strongest in tension.
Anyway I'm going to take some pictures of the undercarriage of my Motorized Shelf System (MSS as I now call it) so you can see how tight it looks.

Thechief86:
It is structurally sound...
the heater channels, floor pans and door pillars were the reason I took this endeavor. They were rusted out beyond my desire to repair. Besides I don't know if anyone noticed but it has the bottom 6 inches sectioned off. It couldn't have fit into the original pan.

Once again thank you for your concern over the structural integrity of my MSS but I assure you that if after taking it 3 times around that Motocross dirt track, twisting and turning, catching some air and bottoming out several times over, I think it can handle the road. I'm not comparing it with a jeep or a rail but for what it is... it is pretty damn good.

69 (o\ ! /o)
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weakness in structural integrity fails in two different ways.. catastrophically, where the front end of the car snaps off,and by fatigue, where repeated stress caused cracking and work hardening over time resulting in a catastrophic failure.

Steel design varies by contract,there is no guarantee that shelf steel is even to mild steel specs.
el Mao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnypan wrote:
Weakness in structural integrity fails in two different ways.. catastrophically, where the front end of the car snaps off,and by fatigue, where repeated stress caused cracking and work hardening over time resulting in a catastrophic failure.

Steel design varies by contract,there is no guarantee that shelf steel is even to mild steel specs.

Point taken, thank you.

69 (o\ ! /o)
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean to be condescending, man. I was just curious about it.
As an off-road fabricator by trade, I'm just prone to over-build things with tubing and make them way stronger than they need to be, often at the cost of making stuff a little slower with the weight. The last race buggy I built was more a rail buggy with the sheet metal fitted back on to make it "look" like a truck. It could have easily been raced as it sat, without the sheetmetal.
Your car does look neat, but if I bought it, by the end of the weekend it would have gained a couple hundred pounds Wink
Like I said, my method is probably unnecessary especially if it is staying on the street...
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Loblaw wrote:
Not gonna lie. When I started looking at the pictures of the chopping, all I could think was "What the fuck is this guy doing? What an idiot."
But I gotta say, I love the way it's taking shape. Badass!

I was thinkin the very same thing till I saw it finishing up.

I
el Mao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechief86 wrote:
As an off-road fabricator by trade, I'm just prone to over-build things with tubing and make them way stronger than they need to be, often at the cost of making stuff a little slower with the weight. The last race buggy I built was more a rail buggy with the sheet metal fitted back on to make it "look" like a truck. It could have easily been raced as it sat, without the sheetmetal.
Your car does look neat, but if I bought it, by the end of the weekend it would have gained a couple hundred pounds Wink
Like I said, my method is probably unnecessary especially if it is staying on the street...

No problem, I didn't take your comment in a condescending way that's why I replied with information and I concur with you, it's light on structure because I designed it in such a way for what it is being used for.
Now the other guy Rolling Eyes .... he is really condescending, I checked out some of his other posts and he sounds the same everywhere. I guess it makes him feel "right" and superior. I come here to learn, share, and enjoy myself, not to tell people they are wrong and how their builds will CATASTROFICALLY FAIL without any qualifications.

BTW thank you dirtkeeper even I wasn't sure about it until I finished it. Well, I haven't finished it so we'll see what else I do to it.

69 (o\ ! /o)
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

el Mao wrote:
thechief86 wrote:

No problem, I didn't take your comment in a condescending way that's why I replied with information and I concur with you, it's light on structure because I designed it in such a way for what it is being used for.
Now the other guy Rolling Eyes .... he is really condescending, I checked out some of his other posts and he sounds the same everywhere. I guess it makes him feel "right" and superior. I come here to learn, share, and enjoy myself, not to tell people they are wrong and how their builds will CATASTROFICALLY FAIL without any qualifications.

This is so true. That donkey has neither a build thread of his own nor a sticky.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He may be condescending at times, but Johnnypan is the guy you want givin you advice. He will not hesitate to give you correct information and tell you she something won't work or is unsafe. I realize that it isn't what you say but how you say it, but the guy is right. His advice has helped me on numerous occasions, and I give him partial credit for the fact that I can trust my car to get me anywhere, with an engine I built with bits of advice here as there from him and others...
dubllyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside the box and very box-like at the same time. I like it!

I'm curious about the sensor in the exhaust in this pic tho'

Oxygen? If so, what's it hooked to on the other end and why not transferred to the current exhaust?

No comment on the condescension from the one who gets all butt-hurt when someone points out his own faults. I can't believe you actually made a comment on someone else's spelling... Rolling Eyes

Wade

vwo60 wrote:
You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thechief86 wrote:
He may be condescending at times, but Johnnypan is the guy you want givin you advice. He will not hesitate to give you correct information and tell you she something won't work or is unsafe. I realize that it isn't what you say but how you say it, but the guy is right. His advice has helped me on numerous occasions, and I give him partial credit for the fact that I can trust my car to get me anywhere, with an engine I built with bits of advice here as there from him and others...

I guess here's as good a place as any to admit this- as much as johnny and I have gotten into it on here, I still credit him with being the one who first noticed my engine was running on low compression from a simple video I posted, and got me to double check it--thus my engine rebuild. (And yes I probably should have replaced the rods- Hard to fight the guy lending you space and tools necessary for the job when he doesn't want to spend the time on it.)

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: