Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1980 Caddy Sporttruck
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nblaauw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: 1980 Caddy Sporttruck Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to buy a 1980 VW sport truck in good condition with 190k on it. Been sitting for a couple years so needs battery but looks good overall. Just trying to get a general value on this...oh and its gas not diesel. Seems like diesels are the more common and/or desirable. Any help is appreciated.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sportuck were gas... learn how its spelled on side of truck...

if it does not run.. 500$ max.. the cis fuel system is $$$$$$$$$$$$ in parts... and they go bad from sitting...
veedubman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crsmp5 wrote:
sportuck were gas... learn how its spelled on side of truck...

if it does not run.. 500$ max.. the cis fuel system is $$$$$$$$$$$$ in parts... and they go bad from sitting...

It's kind of good if you are going to correct someone on their spelling to spell the word in question correctly yourself.

sportruck FTFY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil
nblaauw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no help then I take it...other than spelling that is. Question
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caddy cis is not same as others as its egr so no freq valve (cali might)... so it ues a 75-80 basic system... even though 80 rest of fleet was egr, in cali some had 02 comp systems tht rest got in 81.. caddy kept egr... trucks had different emissions..

the tank is nla.. gas ones get tar build up inside...

so if it does not run.. and been sitting long time... expect major cis issues once you put gas in it as the crap they sell now strips things and plugs them up...

i think 80 sportrucks are the coolest of them all.. center counsol, rocco steering wheel.. just kinda cool.. also lack rear bumper holes.. but they are all cis..

so i stick with my original post.. if it does not run, been sitting.. 500 max... cause the cis is a can of very $$$$$$$$ parts...

p.s. i understand/can fix cis too... i love cis... i hate carbs... i love diesels... so its not that i hating on cis... for you to find a guy who understands it, can fix it.. has a proper fuel gauge to test it.. it is a lost science... so i also think of the issues you will run into..

if cis does not scare you.. you understand aba conversion and cross fingers on gas tank.. look for a used caddy tank... not simple find...

so thinking fuel system/engine swap to get it to stay running.. cheaper then fixing cis.. how much you wanna pay for it? my first caddy i paid $150 for.. 90% rust free.. got mine back in 94... i have crushed rabbits/caddies with less rot then people try to get 3k for..

you asked a opinion... i gave it... and yes the spelling allows us to pick on your newbie to the sportruck world.. its such a optical wtf thing.. gotta point it6 out!
summersnow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, ABA swap would be the cheapest way to increase the value of the truck, and improve reliability over outdated, hard to acquire CIS parts.

There are still more variables that we would need in order to determine the value. Did you check the floors, and strut towers? Is it a clean title? How does the tailgate look?
nblaauw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so...it's a one owner truck that has been running as soon as 2012 when the oil was changed. It was an old man's who drove it to the store a couple times a week and he can no longer drive so his daughter is selling it. Strut towers look good, no other rust, rear taillight broken, all original and pretty darn clean overall.

And thx for the help....both with my spelling and my shopping.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: