Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

flex air line for compressor, Need ideas
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tncsparky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: flex air line for compressor, Need ideas Reply with quote

So my father inlaw has a crafstman compressor that feeds 3/4 pvc (i know) for all his air needs. I think the max psi is 175? Or maybe its 150 Laughing .

So a friend give him a new Speedaire refrigerated air dryer.
I get to install it.

I would like to make the hook ups with a short flexible piping to minimize vibration.
I was thinking of using the copper supply lines for a water heater but didn't know if there was anything better

Any ideas?

scotth17
I think you are just waiting around for a high-five from a unicorn so you can feel better about yourself
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just use standard fittings and a standard rubber air hose? If you don't have a short enough hose try to find a hydraulics place in your town. They will be able to shorten it for you and put new ends on usually for just a couple dollars.

As for the PVC, I have used PVC for many years in our medical instrument repair shops. We only ran 40psi of line pressure. In 25 years of doing this we only had one blow up and I think that was mainly due to a poor glue job. BUT it was one heck of an explosion! Fortunately it was above the drop ceiling in the lab so no one got hurt but it sure scared the crap out of everybody in the place.
tncsparky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't sure of what to use. That is just what came to mine

I think the inlet and outlet are 1" on the unit and the piping is 3/4.

Can I get short 3/4 hose cheap? I would only need 24" on the in and out of the machine

scotth17
I think you are just waiting around for a high-five from a unicorn so you can feel better about yourself
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mcmaster.com/#general-purpose-hose/=r1ak6a
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local auto body supply shop make/sells custom air hoses, they just have bulk hose and the correct ends (not barb).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there really a need for ¾” hose? Unless you have a really big demand for volume, most standard air hose should be more then enough.

In our shops we used the ¾” PVC fittings and stepped down with a ¾” O.D. bushing that had ¼” ID pipe thread which is standard size for most air line fittings. Quick, simple and easy to find. Then we could just install and use the standard quick disconnect air line fittings on the rubber hose between the compressor and wall pipes, or in your case between compressor and the refrigerator drier.
tncsparky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered hose to hook it up. Thanks for the help.

scotth17
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago i made a comment in this post about using PVC for air lines and how I had only ever had one failure that we believed was a bad glue joint.

Today all that changed!

I have a PVC line running from the garage into my house where it feeds my repair lab as well as my machine shop. I only ever run 40psi in those lines. I have another compressor in the lab to run higher pressures when we need them, but it just feeds directly into the rubber air lines.

Some of the guys were here today getting ready for race day tomorrow and somebody plugged the flexible line that feeds the house into the filtered, unregulated fitting on the water separator/regulator.

I was downstairs on the computer when there was a GIANT explosion that rocked the whole dang house!

The PVC line in the house exploded. Blew plastic shards EVERYWHERE! Did a lot of damage and scared the crap out of me.

That unregulated line coming off the garage compressor usually has between 150 and 200psi in it. Looks like that PVC pipe couldn’t handle that much pressure!

I guess I need to rethink using that stuff where we may have that sort of mistake happen again. We’re fortunate no one was in that room when it blew up because the plastic shattered like a hand grenade.
Plantman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad no one was hurt. Would PEX work for air lines? I know it is a lot stronger than PVC and easier to work with than steel. Just curious.
David
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.rapidairproducts.com/rapidair.asp

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used 3/4 pvc in our shop at 150 psi for 20 plus years. We did have one explosion due to a car jumping off the four post hoist (don't ask) and slamming into the wall and pipe. It was a BIG bang when it let loose and it could have hurt someone. Not sure if I wold use it again or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone stupid enough to use PVC to run high pressure air deserves the shards of plastic they will be picking out of their body. Better yet, increase your life insurance so if you have any loved ones, they can live comfortably and reminisce about what a great idea it was for _______ to set their shop up the way they did. Rolling Eyes
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 1/2" Flex Line to minimize vibration, works great. My compressor is outside the shop and I didn't want the "Squeak" of a airline coming thru the wall. Its about 30 years old at this point but still works great. We run max 150 PSI at 24CFM (sandblasting). A current Grainger part number for my type of Flex line is 4DXN6 @ $25.00 - 1/2 x 1/2 x 12" Stainless.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope anyone foolish enough to use PVC in a compressed air system doesn't have anyone other than himself in the immediate vicinity, because I hate when innocent people are harmed due to the ignorance or sheer stupidity of others.

Fluids cannot be compressed while gasses can. Using PVC in compressed air systems is akin to playing Russian Roulette with a fully automatic handgun.

PVC pipe not to be used in compressed air systems

OSHA Hazard Information Bulletins
The Use of Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) Pipe in Above ground Installations
Oregon OSHA Fact Sheet (great "After" images)

The solution is one of the following:
Copper
Black pipe
Flexible Aluminum

There are flexible compressed air pipe systems available with specifically engineer plastic pipe. Take the time to search.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: