Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first TDI swap
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: My first TDI swap Reply with quote

Where to begin..

Maybe a disclaimer..

I'd just sold off my recently rebuilt wbx setup to a local.. forcing my hand to this project.. forming little anxiety at the timing for me personally.. but.. I have been wanting to go TDI for several reasons, for better mileage, and the ability to use bio, and utilize my onboard propane for augmenting the power (maybe not off the bat) its a fleet fuel, generally.

I'd researched enough in the past about this mod, this will be my online scratchboard about my build, project and progress in general. If anyone has any supportive (can provide sanity checks, or urls, or product info) or precautionary information to supply, I am very appreciative.. Thanks!

My goal is to have this project done within 2-3 months as I work a full time day job, and will be putting time in to acquire the info/process, parts and perform the steps.

The vehicle is my 1990 Vanagon Westfalia Multivan. The engine bay is fully devoid of any wbx related components. The fuel tank is still installed with all stock evaporative and previously fully gone through..

My target platform I am leaning toward for the donor is the Mk4 ALH Tdi 1.9 as I like the VNT technology and the potential ecu mods. The drawback in my mind is I highly dislike wiring.. and some of the hassles with adaptation of the harness that I read about.. then adaptation of the automatic throttle connection, which then has to be linked to the pedal from the donor,

I hope to find a suitable, rebuildable core quickly, perform a teardown rebuild myself, sending the machining bits in for decking and honing.. perhaps clean up the crank and rods.. then assembling myself and updating the studs to ARP, rod/crank/head, then go for a couple out the gate components, a rebuilt/new 11mm pump, A performance ALH cam, a middle of the road hybrid turbo, updated nozzles, and a ECU remap - components from KermaTDI.com. The setup is going to eventually get a Banks controller to take some of my onboard propane, and flow that in for longer climbs.

I am going to use a air to water intercooler and hand build my own exhaust..

Power is going to be delivered to the original stock transmission which was afforded a full rebuild 7k ago by German transaxle, while it was there they said they updated the torque converter flow dynamics, revalved and
and has the ring and pinion update, and a limited slip and the thermostatic oil cooler from gowesty.. I heard there was a different audi based setup I could have built which would be stronger.. but I don't imagine I'm gunna be hammering the throttle..

I am debating on replacing the cvs with the heavy duty Gowesty ones.. as these were EMPI axles..

I didn't upsize the tires too much, I am using 205/65/15 tires.. figure the rpms may be a little higher than I wanted under this transmission.. but that's ok I guess.

Thanks for any comments or support!

Last edited by dubbified on Thu May 01, 2014 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great project, and I'll definitely be watching your progress. Since I too have been interested in an ALH automatic swap, I've spent some time thinking about some of the complexities, which are as follows:

1.) Which angle to install; 15 or 50 degrees.
There are some interesting concerns and solutions to each configuration.

2.) How best to install a DBW throttle assembly in the engine compartment
Are you going to use the stock T3 cruise control, or switch over to TDI?

3.) Gearing. 4.09 is simply geared too low for the TDI rpm range.
I highly recommend that you at least swap in a 3.73 or better yet the 3.27 R&P

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Drew just updated the 930 CV thread with how to measure for custom axles.
I have done this on numerous vehicles rather than buy off the shelf parts that are an OK fit.

Looking forward to seeing the swap.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thanks!

I rebuilt the tranny with a RP kit.. its got the 3.73. The only hesitation I had about the trans, was not originally doing the Audi auto section mod. But.. I just don't see myself hammering on the accelerator burnin the wheels on dry pavement.. or off.

Monday I call up Kennedy engineering and pickup the conversion plate..

As for 15 or 50... looking at the differences/pro/con on either is tough.. I think my concern is height of the deck.. are you looking at any threads on that specifically?

Today I'm doing online research on replacement parts, new alternator.. all new accessories.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can read my sad little abandoned thread for a few tidbits of info. Here are a bunch of other links I accumulated:
Libby ALH
Manual-->Auto
Eric ALH
Jeff ALH
Stéphane PD
Brent L2A
Hans J ALH
Chris S 1.8t
3.27 R&P

y u rune klassik?
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owww.. dang.

Thank you.. I am going to read.... all of that.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 930's should be done later, if needed. Like you said, you don't plan on doing burnouts. The vanagon ones rarely fail when well greased with good boots. When they do fail, the generally give plenty of notice. Oh yeah, I am referring to original equipment, not empi crap.

I am not the biggest tdi buff but I know the early beetles, like 98, didn't have a immbolizer making the harness easier. I have built a few tdi harnesses, but I probably can't help with your tight timeline. I might think about working out a trade 3.27 r&p for 3.73 r&p. That 3.73 , would be great for a 2.2L subaru, which is one of my favorite conversations.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the later 2002-2004 ECU in mine with the 4 wire glow plug harness. Easier to flash and slightly newer programming. There is a program out there that I used to delete my IMMO and if you get a tune from Kerma, they can delete the IMMO out as well and I think even the EGR and cut off valve faults. Sometimes with Kerma though, they like to make it NEVER pull up fault codes. I haven't decided what software to run on mine, I just want more fuel economy.
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine:

5 speed AAP transmision mated to a TDI ALH advise needed
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...highlight=
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
I used the later 2002-2004 ECU in mine with the 4 wire glow plug harness. Easier to flash and slightly newer programming. There is a program out there that I used to delete my IMMO and if you get a tune from Kerma, they can delete the IMMO out as well and I think even the EGR and cut off valve faults. Sometimes with Kerma though, they like to make it NEVER pull up fault codes. I haven't decided what software to run on mine, I just want more fuel economy.

Thanks for the details about the IMMO.. that was buggin me. I will call kerma before I buy anything or set anything in stone.

For those who are doing the ALH, Where are you guys getting your ALH parts from? Any favorite vendors? Best place to buy a pump?

I am looking for this site who I thought Modded the ALH harness to fit into a van.. premarked.. 0 guesswork.. damn.. I also found a place that did black silicone hoses for the bay.. it was super slick.. and I cant find it! bah. I thought this was on greaseworks site.. but hmmm.

I'm curious.. Can I omit the entire ODO, or is it required? Don't get me wrong.. I love the new ODO look.. and a couple of the posts showing these mods look great. Do I need it though..?

So.. the pain part about my situation.. is I wasn't fully expecting to sell my engine at this time.. and hadn't been studying lately for this.. change.

About the engine.. I'm thinking about rebuilding the block myself, The pump and the turbo are items I want new..

I think I am going to be doing all ARP studs, as the updates I eventually do would require I do this during my build.

I am also going to drop the front transmission mount by an inch or two.. so the entire engine/trans can be dropped out.

I have a near 2 inch height add from the gowesty lifting springs.. and it does sit well higher than a stock ride. I am going to be doing a armor plate under the trans/engine so.. I'm not too concerned.. also when I did the lift.. CV clearance/angles were suspected to be concern.. so, if I drop the entire setup.. lesser concern.. right?
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using all the vanagon cluster stuff and works perfect. I even have a stock cruise control switch wired in and working just like the Mk4 switch. Check my thread for modification to the stock tach.

I believe FAS makes a drop in wiring harness? I have photos of all my notes and wiring diagram if you want (if you can decipher my notes!). I also used some stranded 4 wire shielded wire to go to the front of the van. 5 lines of it and I have some spare wires available in case I need something else run. I have a lot left over too if you need it.

There is also a steel oil pan that can be used for the TDI, a 2.0 gas engine pan. That will help with saving your pan if you don't build a skid plate! I just found someone on TDI club parting a car and bought all the stuff I didn't have laying around at the shop. We buy all our replacement pumps from the dealer. Turbo, just find someone who sells new KKK Borg Warner brand. And tap the manifold for an EGT before you install it if you like too. All that specific info is somewhere on TDI club.

Also while it's all apart, get everything balanced!
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yea.. I'm going to split the block and do the basics.. take the disassembled parts in for machining.. and will reassemble the block myself.

The engine build is easy for me.. the mod.. hanging.. when it comes to the wiring.. I'm getting queasy thinking about the wiring..

I cant wait to update the odometer, will have to figure out how its getting Vehicle speed signal..

Good to know on that metal pan.. I'm into that.. easier for me to weld up.

Balanced? such as?

Notes? Yes, Anything helps.. !

Thanks!
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I alluded to some anxiety about my project.. the lazy ass in me says damn.. a gas station is far easier. Why why why.. then I'm thinking that question is no longer going to plague me every 190miles..

But.. the modder and mechanic says.. why are you stumbling Alex?

Doubt.. About the transmission.. Whether I should reuse what I have, or seek a different version for longevity.. what sort of problem free mileage Tdi drivers seeing with the manual, or with the automatic.

I don't have enough information one way or the other here..

I already have this recently rebuilt and updated automatic transmission, and I feel its geared low enough with the 3.73 rp.. If I were to stay Auto, I could do nothing.. or I could go to the lower gear, but that means pulling the trans, draining it, setting it on a pallet and sending to germantransaxle to get the lower 3.27 RP.. I'd be selling my old 3.73, but really at the end of the day.. I question how much hassle I should put myself through and financial part associated to that gear.

Why.. when comparing my old ~100HP WBX (slightly more due to the rocker and 2.25L).. and a Stock Tdi 100hp... are people so worried about the damage that would allegedly ensew to the automatic transmission over a manual?

The RPMs are relevantly close from WBX to the Tdi.. the wbx has functnional power range from 1500rpm to 4K.. and its strikingly similar to the TDI operational RPM range.. What gives?

If there is a time to debate ditching my trans, or modding to manual.. now.. is the time I need a sanity check and some really good solid proof. The wbx is out.. the project COULD go a different direction..

I called germantransaxle.. they could furbish me with a nicely geared trans at 3500.. built up with tdi appropriate gears like others have done per samba.. surely that's not including the LSD.. but..

I need to clearly ask... what happens TDI/ALH+auto.. and before I would consider selling my recently rebuilt and beefed up 3speed auto..

I really have to ask. when people talk about failure rates, lets be very clear.. are those on a quality rebuild (best case) transmission, were there any updates to the transmission such as ring and pinion or the lsd?

What sort of driving habits, or other contributing factors to a premature failure could be thought about?

How many miles did someone get on the Auto and Tdi?

A personal opinion, Do you feel I should just tdi it, and go with my automatic as is, or.. go manual, and why?

Looking for some sanity checking here, but it cant come with whimsical information, it has to come with data.. proof.. cause any change of trans is first.. undesirable.. and costly, will take time for me to mod over.

Thanks!

Alex
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully Libby will chime in soon.

y u rune klassik?
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain. Is the auto optimal in any situation? No. Is it a really nice luxury otherwise? Hell yes. You have a ton of variables on the line some of which only the future will tell.

Tdi is promoted as the way to go by so many, for a many reasons. Today I read Paris may be outlawing diesels completely due to unbelievable pollution in the city.

This is after FORTY years of promoting them as the way to go, bar none.

I honestly have read so many articles on tdi I even began to question one.

In the end I went with a frankenmotor, now with my new custom header (small, long primaries) this thing pulls like a mule. Otherwise it is all off the shelf parts, smooth, silent, vibration free, smell free and can be replaced by any mechanic with ease at any time using off the shelf parts, runs on cheaper fuel available at every single gas station even in the most remote locations (my favorite)

What will the future hold for fuel prices? Diesel used to be cheaper. Now it's not. It used to be considered cleaner. Now it's not. Will it be smogged soon? Outlawed? Who knows?

I would have a hell of a time convincing myself to convert to tdi especially if I had a really nice automatic that would be a creampuff with a nice subaru conversion.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Yet another unsolicited advice thread Reply with quote

I know you didn't ask, but have given any thought to your life insurance carrier?

y u rune klassik?
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not modded, but a new constructed harness: Very Happy

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories...1OXVI[url]
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.. I am thinking of a company I had in my old computer's favorite listing.. it was for this modd.. for that harness.. and it was like 800 bux.

A buildup harness is going for 2,299, and they are using electrical tape?

I'd just done the harnesses on my other cars.. one megasquirted show car.. but I am anal about it. sealant wall heatshrink.. and weave based sheathing.. looks real nice. OE+ I think the term is.

On this product.. I dont mean to talk it down.. I realize they're modding a bay side harness.. not the entire car..

But.. I see split loom.. kinda cheap looking.. and I'd been unsure if I'm seeing this image right.. Is that electrical tape ust south of the primary firewall bootie?

I hate electronics.. but not that bad.Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I compare this one to some of the others found when I was doing standalone engine management.. all new wire.. new cables.. and they're typically about 1K..

Here is my ballpark example of what I think 800 bux should look like..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Does it neeeeed to be show car quality.. No..

Is it that expensive or difficult to make it lok that way..

No.

Last edited by dubbified on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely removed and separated the ALH wiring from a Jetta, and if you can DIY a Megasquirt, you can manage a TDI. In the long run, you're better off having intimate relations with your wiring. I freakin' hate the sticky cloth tape VAG uses for their wiring these days--stuff gets everywhere when you're unraveling the spaghetti

y u rune klassik?
markd89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubbfied:

http://www.fastforward.ca/harness_retrofit_service.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: