Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unidentified brand camber compensator
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Unidentified brand camber compensator Reply with quote

Hi all,

Long ago I bought a camber compensator at some long-forgotten swap meet, and I'm hoping to use it soon, if I can identify the applications for it. Here is a picture of the basic unit surrounded by some extra straps, rubber buffers and extra pieces.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see, it is a bit different from the more common versions that have a center metal bracket that attaches to the bottom of either a "split-case" or "tunnel" transmission. This one doesn't appear to strap to the transmission case at all. There is no hole in the bar or any provisions for a center bracket. Instead it looks like it attaches to both frame horns with those "U" shaped rubber cradles and straps which wrap around the horns.

In this close-up of the "U" cradles that fit to the bottom sides of the horns, it appears that they can be adjusted for width if needed.

At the outer ends things look like they attach similar to the more common style compensator using rubber buffers and straps around the axle tubes.

So does anyone recall seeing this version before, know what brand it might be (can't see any brand or part number markings on it), have an old catalog to look it up in, and most importantly, do you have any idea what models and years it should work on? Since the design doesn't depend on mounting to various transmission cases, it seems like it might fit most any early swing axle Type 1 (the Type 2 frame horns seems to have wider side pinch flanges - I doubt it would work on Type 2's). I was kind of hoping to use it on an Oval Bug... Anyway, I'd appreciate any comments and knowledge shared about this odd camber compensator! Thanks in advance!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! never seen that style before, I would think it would be stiffer than the trans mounted style (less spring leverage? )

are you going to be using those straps in the package? I'm restoring an original split case version of an empi and need some replacements. let me know thx
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Unidentified brand camber compensator Reply with quote

Bump!

So has anyone used one of this style/type of camber compensator? I still have it and I plan to eventually fit it to a 1957 Oval Beetle Kabriolett that I will be restoring (loaded with era correct speed equipment!). I'm assuming it will work on my Kab, hope so anyway...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AirCooledClassics
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Unidentified brand camber compensator Reply with quote

I've used lots of the Cb perf ones .Same style in the 90's. I loved them. They can shuffle around and dent up you shocks. Work great though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJoq3MtsPmc

My National Dragster article
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCStory.asp?ID=231552
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Unidentified brand camber compensator Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to understand if those camber compensator would fit on my euro 58 with original split case and 36hp ? Thanks.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Unidentified brand camber compensator Reply with quote

Yes, the style posted by the OP would
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Unidentified brand camber compensator Reply with quote

Ok, thank you. Additional question : from a stock height rear suspension (which is the case of my car), will this tend to lower or raise the rear ?

thanks.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Unidentified brand camber compensator Reply with quote

I'm the original poster and owner of the odd camber compensator seen in the photos above. I still haven't gotten to mount (or try to) that compensator to my Oval Kabriolett yet. Sure hope it fits and works well! As to the last question, I don't believe that a camber compensator will raise or lower your car, just improve it's handling while cornering.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Unidentified brand camber compensator Reply with quote

Bill
your packaging clearly states EMPI. That's what it is. EMPI or EMPI style is what might be refered to as cuff or strap style. There is a second style. Purpose was to alleviate rear wheel tuck while cornering. NO it doesn't affect ride height. Search the vintage speed forum for some threads discussing the merits of both styles and compensator!s in general.
paf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Unidentified brand camber compensator Reply with quote

Just to clarify : I did not mean that this is the aim of the compensator to change height, but wander if this is a consequence. I have seen some people saying that is can slightly affect the rear height. Anyway, I would like to test one on my car, but this is difficult to found at a good price and that fit to a splitcase.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: