Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Checking out a Ghia...Buyer' Guide
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiwinw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John!

I assume the external trim is difficult or expensive to obtain and reinstall if missing? I searched the classifieds and a few supply websites and could not come up with an answer based on what I saw (short time looking).

I never thought to check out the owners manuals - doing that now.

1975 Westfalia
1967 Westfalia
1966 Riviera
1966 Deluxe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4. 67 was last year for lowback seats. 68, one year only, integrated headrest to seat.
There is an excellent stainless repop side trim available. Search "side trim study" Alternate ways to attach too.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiwinw wrote:

I assume the external trim is difficult or expensive to obtain and reinstall if missing? I searched the classifieds and a few supply websites and could not come up with an answer based on what I saw (short time looking).

No...as Darrel says there is a good quality side trim repro available so there is no excuse if you'd like to include it. The topic about this can be found here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210798
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at a '67. Anything noteworthy about that specific year? I'm mostly concerned with "one year only" issues like one would find in a '67 bug.

Done a total, pan off on a Notch and am familiar w/ bugs/T2s but Ghias are a different beast.

Mahalo.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Looking at a '67. Anything noteworthy about that specific year? I'm mostly concerned with "one year only" issues like one would find in a '67 bug

Noteworthy...yes. '67 is the first year for 12V electrics, front disc brakes, the 1500cc engine, 4-bolt wheels, wide-track rear axle, and the fake 'woodgrain' dash & new instrument design. Also the last year for low-back seats, push-button outside door handles, having the ignition key in the dash instead of in the steering column, and on convertibles, the use of a wooden tack strip instead of a cable to attach the rear edge of the top (the changeover was made part way thru the '67 model year).

As with '67 Bugs, there's several one-year-only items. Among them would be:
Cable-operated seat back release
Brake fluid reservoir
Ignition switch
Arm rests
Plastic 'woodgrain' dash face
Inside rear view mirror
Shift knob
Window cranks
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
localboy wrote:
Looking at a '67. Anything noteworthy about that specific year? I'm mostly concerned with "one year only" issues like one would find in a '67 bug

Noteworthy...yes. '67 is the first year for 12V electrics, front disc brakes, the 1500cc engine, 4-bolt wheels, wide-track rear axle, and the fake 'woodgrain' dash & new instrument design. Also the last year for low-back seats, push-button outside door handles, having the ignition key in the dash instead of in the steering column, and on convertibles, the use of a wooden tack strip instead of a cable to attach the rear edge of the top (the changeover was made part way thru the '67 model year).

As with '67 Bugs, there's several one-year-only items. Among them would be:
Cable-operated seat back release
Brake fluid reservoir
Ignition switch
Arm rests
Plastic 'woodgrain' dash face
Inside rear view mirror
Shift knob
Window cranks

FWIW, I believe that the retractable seat belts are unique to the 1967 Karmann Ghia model year as well.

All of these items only really matter if you are concerned with keeping the car original, though.

If you plan to customize or are only concerned with functionality, then you can for the most part easily substitute similar parts from other year Ghias.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
#4. 67 was last year for lowback seats. 68, one year only, integrated headrest to seat.
There is an excellent stainless repop side trim available. Search "side trim study" Alternate ways to attach too.

From the Stickies - model year changes for '67.

'67 Model Year (Ch# 147 000 001 thru 147 999 000) August '66 thru July '67

* By far, the most changes in half a decade. Many items are uniquely '67.
* First 1500 cc engine. Stamped serial # is prefixed H.
* Disc brakes up front. Wheels are 4 bolt, small, or modern pattern. (To end)
* Dash face is no longer painted. It is covered with a fake, wood-grain looking mask. (but dash pad continued to be the older style with de-mountable grab bar.)
* Large single instrument (speedo), with two much smaller gauges (fuel and clock). Earlier cars used two large gauges, with one smaller gauge centered between them.
* Stock wheel/tire combination comes noticably closer to edge of rear fender flank because of wider rear axles.
* Electrical system is 12 volt. Back-up lites may appear on rear bumper. (Bumper mounted back-up thru '69)
* Ignition switch on dash uses much bigger face, and may have cumbersome ignition/steering lock features.
* Convertible Only: Mid-year change allowed for rear of top to be secured to body by a cable. Previously, convertible top was tacked to a wooden strip.
* Chrome moldings no longer appear on inner, upper door frame, (i.e., just above the upholstered door panel). Nor, are they found on inner quarter panel frame.
* Some type of seat belt end now appears on tunnel. Most common is chrome loop.
* Seat cushion is cupped, holds occupant more securely. Previous seats were basically flat instead of contoured. Last year of the low backed seat.
* Americanized door lock with separate knob located at top of rear of door. (Continued for only 4 model years)
* Cute, chromed, miniature version of Karmann Ghia rear deck lid script graces the center of dash face. (To finis)
* Chrome trim on upholstered door panel is now a rectangular, somewhat flat, mylar plastic, decorative strip which is bonded to the vinyl of the panel. (To end) Previously, chrome trim on door panels were two double-ended, aluminum strips that in cross-section had a hatchet, or wedge shape. Trim of these pre-'67 door panels was of same pattern, shape, and composition as exterior moldings.
Jey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Checking out a Ghia...Buyer' Guide Reply with quote

This will really helps me, thanks a lot !
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: