Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

alternator issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberhog05
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: alternator issue Reply with quote

Im new to vw bugs, I have a 1960 with a sp 1600 swap with an bosch alternator.

Heres my issue...Parked it for the winter with everything working fine, went out the other day and I didnt notice my gen light come on when I went to start her up. So I have no charging system. Checked the bulb and it looked ok but to be safe I put in a working bulb with no results. The alternator has less than 3k miles on it. At first I thought the belt was slipping because it was so loose but after tightening it up I still have no juice. On the d+ side there is nothing coming from it as far as voltage.

What should I be looking for? Is my alt toast? please post a link if you have one that can help me. Im on my phone till I get home so searching etc is a PITA. Thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, check to see that the wire from the bulb is still attached to the alternator. Without the exciter wire the alternator will not produce power. Next, take that wire (the small push-on one) off the alternator and touch it to ground with the key on and see if the bulb lights. If it doesn't, then it's time to check to see that the bulb has power from the ignition switch. If it does, your exciter wire to the alternator may have an issue. Use your ohm-meter to see if the terminal on the alternator conducts current to ground. It should. This is still the exciter terminal, not the one with the big red wire that goes to the battery or starter. Touch the big one to ground only if you wish to see sparks.

Start the motor and check the voltage across the battery terminals with a voltage meter. A cheap meter can be bought at Harbor Freight for $4. You want it to go up from 12V at rest to 14.5V running.

There may just be a thin layer of crust from storage. Run the motor a few minutes and repeat the tests. It is rare for an alternator to fail during storage.

Last edited by Harleyelf on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder if there is the needed 12 volts to the dash Alt/Gen lamp socket? That 12 volts comes from the 3rd fuse on the S1 fuse block and should be found on the oil indicator socket and the turn signal indicators too.
cyberhog05
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what I did but I grounded the d+ wire, light gen light came on and it started working again.....well I fiddled with the gen wire, took it off and back on lol. Wonder if it was just corroded either inside the bulb socket or the wire it self but anyway off on its first trip out this year....to the gas station!!! LOL thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's that thin layer of crust. Never believe a device has ceased to function until you give it a chance to shake the lethargy off.
cyberhog05
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya! Never encounter such an issue with a car........Glad im not having to replace the alt or search for a broken wire! Thanks again
cm67btl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Im having a similar issue with the alternator im my bug. Light does not come on. battery reads 12.28v running and 12.30v off. Checked bulb wire to small wire on alt. Nothing. Key on, touched small wire to ground, Nothing. Checked Bulb for power when key on, nothing. All fuses in place are in tact. Checked the small terminal on the alt to ground. continuity
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: