Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pros and Cons Jetta diesel
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tower Rat 95B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Pros and Cons Jetta diesel Reply with quote

Considering a 2013 Jetta diesel, any pros or cons to the Question most concerned about the diesel engine and reliability and blowing black smoke, its supposed to get up to 46 mpg's Shocked

what's the word on diesel Jetta maintenance Question The engine seems quite but still louder than gas, also no black exhaust can I count on it always burn smokeless Question

Proud owner of a new VW Bentley repair manual and a new Torque Dude too

Last edited by Tower Rat 95B on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard of any cons (except VW doesn't offer it in the states on some vehicles like the Tiguan).

I have driven a Jetta Sportwagen and it seemed peppier than my wife's Golf. (My wife wasn't keen on the Jetta compared to the Tiguan for her use, especially after our daughter got her Tiguan.)

My wife's Golf gets 40 routinely with her city driving, and upper 40s on the highway. I have twice reached 50 when borrowing it with 50.2 being my best.

Our Golf is an '02. The '13 should be a clean diesel -- a big bonus on many fronts. Your last question contains always in it. I'm not sure anything can be counted upon always and forever, but the two diesels we have had couldn't have been more reliable and the Golf would probably stay in the family even if my wife were to get a Tiguan. We have had it since new. As I said at the top, I haven't heard anything from anyone that would cause me to hesitate one moment on getting one.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

02 is a better car.. as long as you sell it before warentee over your golden.. if you think its same class as a long life vw... no newer then 04 pre pd diesel..

no idea if that swhat you seek.. but my thoughts on the whole vw line...

diesel fuel = more then gas...

new clean dieels = ~38mpgish?? hell a honda/toyota gets that... and gas costs less and they do not have stupid failures like vw do.. like $13,000 repair bills when the pump screws up.. r $4,000 dsg tranny that breaks at 135k due to $400dmf screwing up.. + other parts... add labor... 8k easy.. for 135k and $400 part screwing up.. taking lots with it..
Tower Rat 95B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
I have not heard of any cons (except VW doesn't offer it in the states on some vehicles like the Tiguan).

I have driven a Jetta Sportwagen and it seemed peppier than my wife's Golf. (My wife wasn't keen on the Jetta compared to the Tiguan for her use, especially after our daughter got her Tiguan.)

My wife's Golf gets 40 routinely with her city driving, and upper 40s on the highway. I have twice reached 50 when borrowing it with 50.2 being my best.

Our Golf is an '02. The '13 should be a clean diesel -- a big bonus on many fronts. Your last question contains always in it. I'm not sure anything can be counted upon always and forever, but the two diesels we have had couldn't have been more reliable and the Golf would probably stay in the family even if my wife were to get a Tiguan. We have had it since new. As I said at the top, I haven't heard anything from anyone that would cause me to hesitate one moment on getting one.

oasis thanks for the reply Cool , well we bought it with out doing the research Rolling Eyes , looks like a nice car , rides like a nice car now just hope it runs like a nice car , we were a bit impulsive on this buy ,

Your right they call the 13 a "Clean Burn" hope that means no smoke, really dislike the look of a diesel car that leaves a smoke trail or has that soot covered rear body panels , have seen that a few times..

Met a 13 TDI Jetta owner at the dealer he loves his TDI all good words from him and he also said he got the 50 MPG on occasion , also says mpg dropped off if cruising at 85 for long runs,.

thanks Exclamation

Tower Rat 95B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crsmp5 wrote:
02 is a better car.. as long as you sell it before warentee over your golden.. if you think its same class as a long life vw... no newer then 04 pre pd diesel..

no idea if that swhat you seek.. but my thoughts on the whole vw line...

diesel fuel = more then gas...

new clean dieels = ~38mpgish?? hell a honda/toyota gets that... and gas costs less and they do not have stupid failures like vw do.. like $13,000 repair bills when the pump screws up.. r $4,000 dsg tranny that breaks at 135k due to $400dmf screwing up.. + other parts... add labor... 8k easy.. for 135k and $400 part screwing up.. taking lots with it..

We bought an automatic tranny Very Happy , DMF Confused is that a Dual Mass Flywheel Question

Those repair cost you list are scary Sad

Tower Rat 95B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of this, does this 2013 Jetta need urea ?

crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think so... added $$ cause i cannot see them not using it..

you did not win with a auto.. thats a fail too..

dmf is duel mass flywheel... BUT the dsg, also auto.. uses one.. and that trany is part of alarm system.. and when the dmf breaks apart.. locking things up solid.. it pokes holes in it..

also check what tranny you have.. if its a dsg.. it requires oil changes too..
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer was about VW diesels. I am not put off by the listed repair costs because I haven't run across anyone who has needed those repairs -- warranty or out of pocket. Major repairs, if needed, are going to be pricey on any make or model, so big yawn.

Personally, I would have great faith on a VW diesel or a Honda gas model through 100k miles. From 100k to 200k and beyond, my confidence would be greater with the VW diesel. Until I hear/see evidence to the contrary (beyond a lone wolf), that is how I feel. I am very proactive in the preventative maintenance department, and the folks I talk to and trust realize this.

Auto trannies are a different story. I have little experience with VW automatics -- my dad's (later our) '02 Passat and our '93 EuroVan. The Passat was problem-free. The EuroVan was a goofy system that was okay if driven by the book, but a far cry from anything I would recommend. Neither are anything like what is being offered now.

I briefly looked at the DSG because my wife is getting tired of driving a manual. The early evidence I found a year or so ago bore further investigation at the very least, and my wife said forget it so I did.
Tower Rat 95B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crsmp5 wrote:
think so... added $$ cause i cannot see them not using it..

you did not win with a auto.. thats a fail too..

dmf is duel mass flywheel... BUT the dsg, also auto.. uses one.. and that trany is part of alarm system.. and when the dmf breaks apart.. locking things up solid.. it pokes holes in it..

also check what tranny you have.. if its a dsg.. it requires oil changes too..

No urea for the Jetta's on account of their weight Confused

Appreciate the post Cool

Tower Rat 95B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
My answer was about VW diesels. I am not put off by the listed repair costs because I haven't run across anyone who has needed those repairs -- warranty or out of pocket. Major repairs, if needed, are going to be pricey on any make or model, so big yawn.

Personally, I would have great faith on a VW diesel or a Honda gas model through 100k miles. From 100k to 200k and beyond, my confidence would be greater with the VW diesel. Until I hear/see evidence to the contrary (beyond a lone wolf), that is how I feel. I am very proactive in the preventative maintenance department, and the folks I talk to and trust realize this.

Auto trannies are a different story. I have little experience with VW automatics -- my dad's (later our) '02 Passat and our '93 EuroVan. The Passat was problem-free. The EuroVan was a goofy system that was okay if driven by the book, but a far cry from anything I would recommend. Neither are anything like what is being offered now.

I briefly looked at the DSG because my wife is getting tired of driving a manual. The early evidence I found a year or so ago bore further investigation at the very least, and my wife said forget it so I did.

Good post Very Happy , I'm new to VW this is my first besides my old Bug, we pic the car up later this week , the purchase is mostly about the mpg's and the styling, wifey commutes 70 miles a day round trip our current ride gets 22 mpg's gas its costing us dearly , if we double our mpg's despite the higher cost of diesel fuel I think we make out Very Happy

oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance rates may be lower with a diesel, too.
bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 2014 TDI JSW 6 spd manual a month ago. Averaging 38 w/mixed driving, not much highway, likely increase over time too. Biggest issues I've heard with the newer CR diesels: fuel pump failure ( can be pretty catastrophic), intercooler freezing if in cold climates, dual mass flywheel and DPF failures. I've heard over 100k mi on Dpfs not unusual. I went with extended bumper to bumper 5 years so no immediate worries. Vw has been pretty good w/ fuel pump failures even out of warranty. I feel the the fuel savings will at least offset any added repairs and I really like the car so I'll take my chances. Also many of the current maintenance issues are occurring with all clean diesels not just VWs, ie fuel pumps,dpfs, intercoolers etc even big rig/tractor trailers.
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a VW tech, and most of the failed high pressure pumps we see on the common rail diesels is because of someone filling the tank with gas! My folks have an 09 Jetta diesel, and have had zero trouble, only expexses have been maintance and fuel.

Central Jersey VW Society
Tower Rat 95B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oasis wrote:
Insurance rates may be lower with a diesel, too.

Rates may very well be lower for diesel but we got a higher rate cause its a newer car that the 07 that the Jetta replaced but that's ok kinda understandable..

Diesel cars and trucks in NY annual inspection is cheaper and only a safety check no emission or scan for check engine light required , I like that part Very Happy

Tower Rat 95B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubblehead wrote:
I bought a 2014 TDI JSW 6 spd manual a month ago. Averaging 38 w/mixed driving, not much highway, likely increase over time too. Biggest issues I've heard with the newer CR diesels: fuel pump failure ( can be pretty catastrophic), intercooler freezing if in cold climates, dual mass flywheel and DPF failures. I've heard over 100k mi on Dpfs not unusual. I went with extended bumper to bumper 5 years so no immediate worries. Vw has been pretty good w/ fuel pump failures even out of warranty. I feel the the fuel savings will at least offset any added repairs and I really like the car so I'll take my chances. Also many of the current maintenance issues are occurring with all clean diesels not just VWs, ie fuel pumps,dpfs, intercoolers etc even big rig/tractor trailers.

Cool on the mpg's Applause , that's the main reason we went for the TDI Jetta, we also bought the extended warrantee an extra 360 dollars a year x 4 gives bumper to bumper when the existing warrantee expires , this Jetta will be old and high mileage by the time we run out of warrantee Very Happy

What id a DPF?

I am in a cold environment what can go wrong with an intercooler Confused , its just an air passage correct Question

Tower Rat 95B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

73sports wrote:
I'm a VW tech, and most of the failed high pressure pumps we see on the common rail diesels is because of someone filling the tank with gas! My folks have an 09 Jetta diesel, and have had zero trouble, only expexses have been maintance and fuel.

That's a good report on the 09 Cool , we have our own bulk diesel tank so there won't be any confusion at the pump .

The tach on this Jetta seems inaccurate , kinda snaps 1,000 rpm range up or down like a switch , the tachs I have seen sweep smoothly with the engine , I think I have tach issues , ya think too Question

bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPF=diesel particulate filter. It is to trap the smoke particles and prevent the black smoke you spoke of. Its a canister with a fine mesh screen that traps the particles. There are sensors that monitor the internal pressure of the can and regenerate the filter by burning off the soot as needed. They have a lifespan, mesh can crack, sensors fail. Not a big deal, but another potentially expensive exhaust system repair down the road. With the intercoolers, condensation will collect in the intake, perfectly normal. If conditions are just right it can cause water to accumulate, melt and refreeze until you have a block of ice in the intake. You'll see a drop in MPGs and performance, maybe slight hesitation at startup. If it all melts on a warm day and you suck 8 oz of slush into the engine at startup...not good at all. There's an updated intercooler kit dealers are installing on a case by case basis but I've heard it's sort of a band aid fix. All cars have problems and you only hear the bad on the internet. Just drive and enjoy. That's my plan, at least until the warranty runs out.
Tower Rat 95B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bubblehead"]DPF=diesel particulate filter. It is to trap the smoke particles and prevent the black smoke you spoke of. Its a canister with a fine mesh screen that traps the particles.

quote]

Yeah I have heard of that DPF filter on heavy trucks with regenerate mode, not going to worry got the extended warrentee Very Happy

Pretty nice car we rode around a bit today , the brakes are crazy strong Shocked almost like there is a engine brake .going to fuel it up for next weeks my wife commutes 350 miles in 5 days usually cost us 80 dollars or more a week in gas, hope the Jetta comes thru on the mpg's Exclamation

73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you said you got the car with the automatic, being a TDI, that means it has the DSG trans. That gearbox is kind of a hybrid, it's a manual gearbox that's shifted automatically for you. That's why you see the rpm drop the way you do when it shifts. There are 2 clutches, so when you are in 1st, 2nd is already engaged etc., so when the car shifts, all it has to do is swap which clutch the power is going through, and that makes for an almost instant shift. Make sure you use the ultra low sulfur diesel in it or it may have issues. The engine oil is also specially formulated to work will all the emission stuff on it.

Central Jersey VW Society
bubblehead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure ULSD is all you can get at the pump nowadays. Also no more than 5% biodiesel is the recommendation from VW. The oil is a zero ash spec for the health of the DPF and is crazy expensive. Tower Rat, I predict you save $40 on fuel this week Dancing best of luck with it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: