Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is $350 a good price to epoxy prime?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Is $350 a good price to epoxy prime? Reply with quote

I’m curious if $350 seems like a decent price to epoxy prime 4 fenders, deck lid and hood? That includes materials and spraying all sides of everything.
CanadianBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds high to me.
Epoxy primer is fairly inexpensive to buy and if all they're doing is mixing and spraying... they're making good money.

Mike

bodywork isn't a fucking race.
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are prepping the panels, it's fair.
Der Speed Shack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont have a compressor and spray gun already its a good deal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a reasonable price then? I'm prepping and just dropping off to have it done. I don't have the area to spray them myself and will gladly pay to have someone else do it. That's the only way it's gonna get done.
UreKem Paints
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems a little high depending on how many parts they are painting. The epoxy primer alone would be $80-175 (depending on brand) for the average restoration project. Just make sure they are usinga good 2Kepoxy. Also, make sure they at least wax and grease it just prior to spraying. If you do all the prep work and then bring it to them it's likely to get a little contamination here and there. You are doing all the hard work though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy told me what 2k epoxy he would use and it was good. Wrote it down, but can't find the paper now. Yep, he would also wipe down and clean prior to doing his thing. Again, it's 4 fenders, hood and deck lid that would be being primed inside and out.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the labor rate?

good epoxy....figure at least 125+/- prep time....depends. let's assume they are going to wipe and shoot (no sanding...which they may have to do weather you think it needs it or not) figure about an hour, hour and 1/2...they will need to hang stuff in the booth or what have you to spray everything...

tax, title and registration....really not a bad price.

now, you do realize epoxy has a topcoat window of 72 hours or so before everything must be resanded (and i like to re apply some epoxy to help 'glue' the next stage of the process together)

just thought i would throw it out there

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
what's the labor rate?

Not sure of the rate, just asked for a price for the 6 items, but will make sure to find that out in the future.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
now, you do realize epoxy has a topcoat window of 72 hours or so before everything must be resanded

I know that it will at least need to be scuffed prior to top coat. The plan is to get these things in primer so they aren’t sitting around unprotected while I work on the body and doors. I thought I’d be driving this thing by now so who really knows how long that will be. Once I finish body working the body and doors I was hoping to take evrything in all together for the final prime and top coat of a single stage white. That’s a good plan, right???

Thanks for the info…
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epoxy will protect it for sure, just make sure you get the exact product info they use so you can refer back to how they want it prepped

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
CanadianBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offshores wrote:
What's a reasonable price then? I'm prepping and just dropping off to have it done. I don't have the area to spray them myself and will gladly pay to have someone else do it. That's the only way it's gonna get done.

When you put it that way, any price is a good one. Smile

Mike

offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Called some other places and most shops don’t even wanna do it because they mostly do collision repair. One place quoted $200 to just wipe and spray with no body work ($150 if I supplied primer) and another shop was $250-$350 ($44/hr shop rate), but wanted to see em first. I think I’ll go with the less expensive place and provide the primer.
I’ve also heard to stay with the same product line. I have a buddy that works at Sherwin-Williams and had no idea until recently that they have an automotive paint line. He mentioned 50% off so that makes my decision pretty easy as to what brand I’m gonna use now. That will also ensure that both primer and paint will be the same.
You guys ever use SW?
Thanks again fellas!!!
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently $350 would be a decent price in Ca. to get stuff epoxy primed because epoxy primers are pretty much outlawed here. I found this out when I gave my buddy who works for SW a list of stuff I wanted, one being their DP800 Epoxy Primer and he mentioned it’s not sold in Ca. After some internet searching I also found out, “Does Not Ship To Ca” is the current theme when looking for that stuff. I guess there is some that’s available, but the price is over the top. The 1st guy who quoted $350 would be spraying a hybrid of epoxy and acrylic polymers. The paint he said he would use is 5 Star Extreme which I just assumed was an epoxy (what I asked for) but now know to be a High Build 2K DTM Primer Filler/Sealer hybrid.
Hmmmm???
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5-star xtreme is basically the jobber paint going around right now. It's a hybrid epoxy and does everything you need it to. The DTM is like $100-$125 a gallon plus activator. So that means he's only charging $200 to spray it? Sounds like a deal to me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CanadianBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 5 Star Extreme available in Cali is the same as the 5 Star Extreme available here, it's decent quality stuff.
I've used it and like it.

Mike

offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called a paint supplier close by and they have gallon kits for $135 and that includes the activator. The guy said to get some reducer (like $15) also as it’s easier to spray. Too thick w/o it otherwise and to mix 4:1:1.
I’m now contemplating a little bit of shooting this stuff myself. I have a big covered patio and a 3 car garage. I could staple (hang) some plastic to the garage ceiling, put paper/plastic/drops on floor and make an enclosure. I’d probably do my hood first (one day) and then deck lid (another day), etc… In other words, not a big session at once. Or do it on the patio???
Question is, am I’m going to have some lingering, nasty smell for a long time if just doing a quick spray in the garage? Any issues with a little enclosure w/o venting other than having a side door open or a garage door up a little??? How long before this stuff dries?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need proper air flow, and if you have a wife, she is going to kick you in the dick. that stuff stinks, and in a non vented garage, it will creep into the house

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured as much, but thought I’d ask. Maybe this “hybrid” stuff was tailored for Ca and smelled like patchouli oil. Wouldn’t have surprised me. Still exploring the DIY option and trying to tally up some costs. I know of a few booth rentals for $100+/day and also saw this DeVilbiss kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Devilbiss-Startingline-H...mp;vxp=mtr
Looks pretty good, yeah or no?
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5-star DTM smells ferocious. Always wear a respirator.

My friend bought one of those kits, it's alright. The needles aren't ground symmetrical. Before you spend over $20 on a spray gun, go pick up the Harbor Freight purple gun and see if you are serious about painting. There's a lot to it.

If you are questioning whether or not to pay the guy $200 to paint your parts, then you don't understand the amount of time and effort involved. I can tell you I wouldn't prep and prime all 4 fenders, the hood, and the decklid for that price.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: