Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding Clear to Single Stage Urethane (final coats) ?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UreKem Paints
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I didn't see mentioned was the effect on durability. Generally speaking, as you get the pigment deeper into the depths of the film the durability to fading and gloss loss improves. In a integrated approach (as opposed to just clearing base or single stage) the likely of delamination of the clear on long term weathering is even reduced since the two layers are intimately cured together.

The only real downside I am aware of other than the small inconvenience of mixing clear separately and adding is the effects on metallics and pearl finishes. Often as you dilute metallic and pearl is starts to take on a more coarse appearance. The side tones start to get lighter and face tones look darker. If you like that it's cool but always smart to do a test panel to make sure you like the effect. Generally speaking, base clear is the best approach for pearls and metallics, overall, which is why 99+% of pearl and metallic OEM finishes are base clear. Not to say you can't do nice single stage pearls and metallics.

Integrated single stage solids are still a great approach.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UreKem Paints wrote:
One thing I didn't see mentioned was the effect on durability. Generally speaking, as you get the pigment deeper into the depths of the film the durability to fading and gloss loss improves. In a integrated approach (as opposed to just clearing base or single stage) the likely of delamination of the clear on long term weathering is even reduced since the two layers are intimately cured together.

The paint companies that do acknowledge this technique tend to add a note on their tech sheets to the effect that adding the optional clear (integrating it) can be done for 'added durability' - but I feel that most of the painters and car owners do it for depth of gloss. Probably different priorities but both are advantages IMHO.

Doug C
irestorevws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just finishing my Flint Gray '60. I shot it with DuPont Chroma One with one coat of straight color, second coat was mixed with 25% clear and the third coat with 50% clear mixed in all over gray sealer.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that Flint Gray. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

irestorevws wrote:
I'm just finishing my Flint Gray '60. I shot it with DuPont Chroma One with one coat of straight color, second coat was mixed with 25% clear and the third coat with 50% clear mixed in all over gray sealer.

Hey irestorevws, I haven't checked in here for a few weeks and I just saw your post.. that paint job looks great and it really makes me that much more certain of trying this technique too. I'm ordering the clear to mix in. Thanks.

Doug C
Envious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nason single stage cut with their panel clear.

64 Type 361 L575 Nutria
64 Porsche 356c
56 Type 113 L227 Strato Silver
52 BSA C11G
59 Heilite Single Wheel Camping Trailer
56 Allstate Single Wheel
84 Vanagon Westfalia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=388225
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks GREAT! Really nice depth in that. I still haven't painted my car yet.. but I do have a quart of the restoration shop clear (not the one mentioned in their AU tech sheet to spray afterwards) to mix into the final two coats with the AU restoration shop paint. I see these pics you guys post and get all enthusiastic and impatient to get back to my car project. It's been too darn hot here lately though (I have more welding to do first - outside in the sun Evil or Very Mad ).

Doug C
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the nicest paint jobs come from trial and error. Mix some paint, do a spray out & clear over it. I used to make my own candy paint by adding single stage color to the clear. My old boss had done it in the 60s, the painter he worked with used to grind up sea shells for a pearl effect. If you talk to some of the old painters that sprayed in the late 50s &60s you will learn lots.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: