Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tired 1200 cc 40hp
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maverick1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Tired 1200 cc 40hp Reply with quote

So I did a compression check on my 40hp and numbers were low 70-50-40-40 on a cold engine but it still runs well . I'm thinking about a big bore kit but how can I tell if the bottom end is ok without splitting the case?? This is in my baja bug . Oh and how do I add an oil filter and external cooler without full flowing the case??. Thanks guys
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you remember to take off the airfilter and the trottle open when you checked the compression? If not, you can get low readings.

And take the test with hot engine, and newly adjusted valves.

Its hard to see how good the case is without opening it and measure, but an indication is to check the end play.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Maverick1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info!! How do you check end play? And would good oil pressure be a good sign that the bottom end is good?
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do the top end then just carry on! It's not as hard as you may think to do the bottom end. Then you know for sure and can fit new bearings and fix any issues you spot before they bite you. If alls well its only going to cost you a set of bearings.

Worst bit is cleaning all the parts.

As a novice after cleaning and machining I built my motor in a weekend and didn't rush.

Seb
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maverick1 wrote:
Thank you for the info!! How do you check end play? And would good oil pressure be a good sign that the bottom end is good?

If you can move the pulley on the crank out/in a bit, its worn. Should be around 0.1 mm, a littlebit more is normal on well used engines, much more is a bad sign.

Low oil pressure can indicate worn bearings.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
jarmchairpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: worn 40hp Reply with quote

Similar story with my 72 1200 standard Bug.Engine has 80 thou miles,never rebuilt or split it seems.I am going to attempt rebuild this week,bit nervous.It has been leaking oil and real low compression on 2 adjacent cylinders at 70,the other 2 were not as bad around 90.

I have low oil pressure but funny enough the engine has never shown any noticeable end-play.So based on my experience I would advise people Not to take this factor alone as being the main indicator of engine wear.

It was common practice for vw dealers in the 1970,s to insist that all the valves be replace at between 70 and 80 thousand miles,even if the engine was in good condition,as a precaution against failure.This makes more sense today given the higher price of good quality pistons and jugs.

I hope a top-end rebuild with new bearings,rings and seals will be enough to get me back to stock performance on a low budget,but you cant be exactly sure of Engine Condition Until The Case Is Split.If you do this yourself it wont cost you anything but time and soap for washing your hands of the gunge! Smile
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same boat, but my 1200 was pulled when I bought the car so I couldn't get a chance to test it. Endplay is minimal but I have no idea how many miles are on this sp 1200 motor. It's missing the distributor and generator but I think that's it. If I had those then I could bench test it myself. Where does one find these? I assume I put up a want ad here and might get a response but peeps say the 1200 stuff is hard to find now?!
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here! First off is this a 1200sp?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's the #
Looks like a '64 1200sp?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had been through the "do I need to split the case" on my 1200 when going to the big bore. Was hoping that you could tell by the serial number, but was not able to find that info. I did have to do a little clearancing on mine, but was able to do it without splitting it. Look throug this thread and see if it helps http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...p;start=20

Have to say that it made a world of difference in the car.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, you are ALL over the place here!! Hahaha!
So IS this a 1200? I'm not sure but I think it is. I was planning on putting it in and using it while I build my other motor up!
There is NO end play-I guess that is a good sign. I want to do a comp check in the next week.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: