Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

please help!!! electrical gremlins!!!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
murft69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: please help!!! electrical gremlins!!! Reply with quote

Hello all I'm Derick
1969 standard Beatle
Fresh VW just bought it,i feel like i just joined a very cool club but iam on day three of wiring,
I Need to find out what relays are compatible
In using in place of blinker relay/flasher that comes standard i really don't have time to wait for the 3 week shipping
Any suggestions would be amazing

Also on the69 Where would i find the brake light switch it seems to be stuck on because the tail lights both of the filaments are lit when parking lights/running lights are on.
simple fix???

Thanks folks keep calm and vdub on
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: please help!!! electrical gremlins!!! Reply with quote

murft69 wrote:

i really don't have time to wait for the 3 week shipping

Sorry where are you getting this from?

murft69 wrote:
Also on the69 Where would i find the brake light switch it seems to be stuck on because the tail lights both of the filaments are lit when parking lights/running lights are on.
simple fix???

The brake switches are bolted into the master cylinder, but I don't think that's the problem- if the brake lights come on when you turn the parking lights on then it's almost certainly a wiring issue.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is your first post, welcome to TheSamba.com !
This is probably the best online resource for air cooled VWs (acvws) on the Internet.

Are you only having problems with the flasher relay or were you asking also about the headlight dimmer relay?

You should first start with the wiring diagram for your model year. You can find most Beetle years here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php

Depending on the flasher relay you have installed there are three wiring diagrams that cover the '69 model year (cars made from Aug '68 thru Jul '69). Does your car have the 7-prong "black/blue box" flasher relay, or the 3 or 4-prong relay? These came in various shapes and sizes so you will need to tell us. Here is what they look like:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 7-prong relays are less common in '69 cars so I will assume you have a 3 or 4-prong flasher relay and a 7 or 8-prong E-Flasher switch.

As far as replacement flasher relays, these are common aftermarket replacements for the stock 3-prong flasher relay. Also, you should know that the 3-prong relays are a common replacement for the 4-prong flasher relays so you should be looking for a 3-prong like one of these:

The key things you should be looking for:
    12v relay that uses negative ground

Application will be European cars (US generic relays will not work without modifications)

Look at the above pics and you will see common terminal numbering which indicate European-style relays. #49a and #31 are common output and ground terminal numbering. #49 (or sometimes just "+") is the 12v+ input. #KBL is dedicated turn signal indicator lamp (this terminal GROUNDS the lamp).

Tips: You may have better luck looking for an LED compatible European-style flasher relay. They are more common since they are a recent product. The EP-35s above have been noted as supporting LED lights. You should note that many of these aftermarket relays look similar, but not all are highly reliable. This is why some people spend the time looking for good OG VW/Bosch relays.

The turn signal indicator lamp in the speedo is where most people run into trouble when it comes to the correct/incorrect flasher relay install. The reason for this is the way the turn indicator bulb works. Most people assume it is grounded by the case of the speedo, it is not. The bulb holders for the three indicator lamps at the bottom of the speedo provide 12v+ to these bulbs. Each of the wires connected to the end of the bulb holders are a path to ground. When connected to the correct flasher relay, the output of the relay will normally alternate between 12v+ (to power the corner turn signals) and ground (-) to power the turn signal indicator. This is common for European turn signals... completely strange for US-style flasher relays. If you wire a US generic flasher relay in place of a European flasher relay it will typically turn ON, but not flash.

Option: If you must use a US generic flasher relay, disconnect/remove the turn signal indicator bulb in the speedo. By doing this, you can probably make ANY 12v flasher relay work in a Beetle. Even the 2-prong generic relay should work to make the turn signals and E-flashers blink. Just connect the "L" (load) terminal to the black/green/white wire(s). The white wire from the E-Flasher switch connects to the input side (12v+) of the relay.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: please help!!! electrical gremlins!!! Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
The brake switches are bolted into the master cylinder, but I don't think that's the problem- if the brake lights come on when you turn the parking lights on then it's almost certainly a wiring issue.

I agree with sb001. It could be stuck brake switches, but more likely something with the tail lights, maybe a grounding problem.

Do you still have the original '69 tail lights?

In Japan these are called "iron tail"... because the shape is like a clothing iron.

Your quickest fix is to look and see if the correct bulb is installed. The center bulb should be a dual-filament bulb (#1157). If someone accidentally installed a single-filament bulb (#1156) it would respond as you have described.

Do the turn signal and reverse lights work correctly?
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: please help!!! electrical gremlins!!! Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

In Japan these are called "iron tail"... because the shape is like a clothing iron.

That's a new one, I've only ever known them as tombstones.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: please help!!! electrical gremlins!!! Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
ashman40 wrote:

That's a new one, I've only ever known them as tombstones.

I thought about that for a minute and realized that "tombstone" would make no sense here since the grave markers here don't really have the right shape.

Just like the abbreviation for "Personal Computer". In most of the World it is "PC". In Japan it is "paso con". The Japanese sometimes have to do it their own way. Wink
murft69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay looking at the relays I have one 5 prong dni 0127 vw
And a 4 prong blink-warnicht-relais 96m1j 2(4)lx21w-12v
These two relays are fried
One was filled with water and the other has parts shaking around inside
Is there a cheap replacement for these
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murft69 wrote:
Okay looking at the relays I have one 5 prong dni 0127 vw

That is the headlight dimmer relay

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.htm?pquery=111941583

murft69 wrote:
And a 4 prong blink-warnicht-relais 96m1j 2(4)lx21w-12v

And that is the turn signal/ emergency flasher relay.

https://www.bugcity.com/shop/shop.htm?pquery=211953215C

murft69 wrote:
These two relays are fried
One was filled with water and the other has parts shaking around inside
Is there a cheap replacement for these

Just about any VW online vendor would have these and probably a VW parts store if you have one in your area. I linked the two parts from Bug City because (as you can see from the links) they have a choice between the actual original German products and a lower cost alternative, plus they are on the east coast so can probably get you the parts in a couple days.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
murft69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay on the right track found relays this lil Grimlin is close to death thank you Samba with out you i would be lost bought some used relays from the pope brothers shop right up the road from me specializing in original vw i just need paint and body work
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: