Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Zwitter dome light
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabberjaw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Zwitter dome light Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what is unique about the Zwitter dome light? I keep hearing this but I can't seem to find a pic or an explanation of why it is considered unique. Also, what are the additional Zwitter only options and accessories that you may know of?
73sports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The light is similar to an oval dome light, except there is no switch built into the light. The switch is on (under) the dash. The ash tray is also unique, no handle on it like later versions.

Central Jersey VW Society
fatbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought at one time brezelwerks had a limited run of repro zwitter/53 oval dome lights?
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatbeetle wrote:
I thought at one time brezelwerks had a limited run of repro zwitter/53 oval dome lights?

I hope you are correct as this is the only piece I'm missing minus the motor and motor parts which I won't even bother myself with since it's going to be a cal looker.

Already got: small mouth bread box gas tank, dual arrow speedo in km, ashtray, switch under the dash and starter button.

Please inform me if I'm missing something from this list. I already know brezelwerks repros the A-Z heater knob and I'll be acquiring one of those soon enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That switch does two things. It turns on your dome light to the left. Center is off. Right is speedo lights. If you're getting really anal, the headlight switch is rectangular with terminals on top instead of the round ones used on ovals
joel55bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. Haviland wrote:
That switch does two things. It turns on your dome light to the left. Center is off. Right is speedo lights. If you're getting really anal, the headlight switch is rectangular with terminals on top instead of the round ones used on ovals

Is this visual from the cab or just under the hood? Any pictures of what your talking about?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
laszlo805
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a picture in my picks if you look it up you will see how it is different
laszlo805
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joel55bug wrote:
fatbeetle wrote:

I hope you are correct as this is the only piece I'm missing minus the motor and motor parts which I won't even bother myself with since it's going to be a cal looker.

Already got: small mouth bread box gas tank, dual arrow speedo in km, ashtray, switch under the dash and starter button.

Please inform me if I'm missing something from this list. I already know brezelwerks repros the A-Z heater knob and I'll be acquiring one of those soon enough.

also Zwitter has a soled vw emblem on the hood and the pull handle on the hood is made out of a soled peace of aluminum also zwitter only trim in the rear split windows hope that helps
gorlininc1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter dome light Reply with quote

The a-z heater control is used on the zwitter and 1953 ovals. The zwitter also has a push button start that continued to the end of 1953 on the ovals. The windshield wiper switch with the open back also ended in 1953, when the rear of the switch was enclosed.
2006 Lexus SC430
RVA MEMBER
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Zwitter dome light Reply with quote

Headlight switch
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zwitter dome light
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The problem with the dome light is that it needs to be released from both sides when removing it. Many just yank on one side with a screwdriver and crack or break the lens. (as in above)
einsperren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Zwitter dome light Reply with quote

I am wondering about this supposedly '53 discontinued "open back" wiper switch mentioned in this thread earlier. Was this change documented in progressive refinements or in car of the century or else where. anyone know?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: