Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Amy's 1968 Convertible Beetle Restoration "Grettah"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my engine back today and it is a beauty. What a transformation. thank you Frenchy! It's waiting patiently now while I get the car ready for paint.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenchy Dehoux? If so he's got a decent pedigree.

-jeffrey
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frenchy should've ditched that fuel filter. Engine looks nice, reminds me why I'll be painting my own tins next time my engine needs to come out.

Remember to attach the hose or plug up that fan shroud fitting on passenger side top of shroud.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Jeffrey, that would be Frenchy Dehoux. A super nice and talented guy. His son Marc, who is equally as nice and talented, is the one doing my metal work.

hi Cusser. I think that once the engine is back in the car I will relocate that fuel filter outside of the engine compartment. From what I understand, they can be placed underneath the car to make things a bit safer.
plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car and you should be commended for doing things right. I've never understood the fuel filter after the pump. Underneath the tank makes sense to me.
plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice car and you should be commended for doing things right. I've never understood the fuel filter after the pump. Underneath the tank makes sense to me.
azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Plotch ~ It seems as though one thing has led to another. I am doing way more than I ever planned to do with he car. I can't say I know much, but I am learning as I go. And the information on this forum are extremely helpful to me. Thank goodness for The Samba and it's people. Without them I would be at a complete loss. Smile
azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Christmas celebrated and a little time on my hands, it's time to get back to work on the beetle. I have cleaned up the inside wheel wells, which were covered with old undercoating. They are now cleaned and sanded. Smile Removed the windows and have cleaned them up a bit. Today was devoted to removing the dash pad. What a chore, but fun just the same. The only thing I had trouble with was removing the clean air knobs. Everything I had read said that they would just pull right off. Not these. I finally got the right one off, but the left was broken during the extraction. An aftermarket radio was installed at some point and some slight modifications were done to the factory radio hole. It doesn't look like much though. Looks to be just some bending of the metal. All wires on the inside of the dash have been bundled and wrapped. The gas tank will come out soon, which will allow me to clean and sand inside. I'm not really sure if I am doing things correctly. If I am missing anything or need to be for warned about anything, please don't hesitate to let me know. Smile

azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got the gas tank out and cleaned up the trunk area. The gas tank itself looked good but had surface rust on the underside, but that should clean up ok. The gas itself seemed pretty clean when we emptied the tank. There were no surprise debris or anything. Should I clean and treat the inside of the tank anyway?T

Inside the trunk area there was some pretty bad surface rust just under the brake fluid reservoir. Wire wheeled that area and sanded down the rest. Having the gas tank out gave me good access to the front end too. Sorta kinda. Still not the easiest area to clean up, but I got good start anyway. Did that for a bit then moved to the underside of the car. That's a messy job for sure! Got a good start there and think I'll finish that up this weekend.

I felt a little ADHD today moving from one thing to the next without fully completing the previous job. Smile I figure the next time I go back to them I will be a little more detailed? Is that how it typically works? Smile

Andy Schneider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you are one impressive bug enthusiast! I'm the proud owner of a 79 vert and trying to rebuild the engine as my winter project. Success for me will be if i can't get the engine reassembled (it's currently out and completely torn down) and drive the vehicle to the mechanic to check out my work and make adjustments where needed.

One thing i noticed was the cost vs value discussion and how you deal with spending more on the car than it'll ever be worth..............That's always tough for me too and i wish there was a good answer, but we do it for the joy of driving these cars i guess.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option for the fuel filter is where it exits the frame in the rear. Here's mine (the transmission has since been defunked Very Happy )

So far as cleaning and coating the inside of the tank, I would think most people would say do it while you have it out then you won't have to worry about it again. Just my 2 cents... Great job by the way!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cost vs value is easy to answer. The money you "invest" in restoring a vintage vehicle is returned to you in the enjoyment your receive building the car and driving it afterwards. Don't forget the piece of mind you get by knowing it's done right [if you did it yourself] and the icing on the cake is the good karma you receive by bringing a vehicle back from the dead and extending it's life for others to enjoy.

That is the value.

Think of the money you spend on intangible things like movies, meals, vacations, etc. Once consumed you only have the memory/experience. At least with a vintage car you'll not only have multiple memories and experiences, but if you eventually sell it, you'll recoup part if not most of your original investment making all those valuable memories/experiences priceless!

-jeffrey
Andy Schneider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to believe that i'd recoup most of my investment, but i think that ship sailed a long time and expense back. It's ok, i'm not planning on selling it at any point in my life but just hope i dont' have to spend another boatload of money on it to keep it running. Funny thing is that i really could use a complete redo of the interior and a top for it as we speak!

I'd also add, that for me, it's the cheapest form of therapy i could ever think of. Nothing like having a bad day and hopping in this for a ride. You can't help but smile!
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "most" is when you do a lot of the work yourself. If you do it right, and hold onto it long enough, who knows, you might get it all back!

-jeffrey
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Schneider wrote:

I'd also add, that for me, it's the cheapest form of therapy i could ever think of.
Nothing like having a bad day and hopping in this for a ride. You can't help but smile!

Therapy is a very good word to describe bringing an old, rusty VW back to life. I believe hobbies like ours are an excellent tool to keep our minds busy on positive things while allowing us an escape from our daily stressors. It's very good for our mental health to "escape" to the garage and get consumed in a project.

I restored my 69 vert from 1999 thru 2002. It was much rustier than Amy's convertible in this link. I lost count of how many hundreds of hours I spent in the garage while cutting, grinding and replacing sheet metal from the body and pan and putting it all back together again. I also know I have over $20k in this restoration with me doing all the work, including the top. The only thing I paid for was a final sand of my body work and then the pro painter shot it in a booth that baked the paint.

Will I ever get that money back someday? It's certainly possible but I have no plans to sell it anytime soon. The smiles, thumbs up and the happiness it brings people while I'm out driving it are great. I also enjoy having people come up to me and the car at the store or gas station with their big smiles and nostalgia while sharing their VW stories.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**

Last edited by wcfvw69 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input everyone. I would have to say that the more I work on the car, the more precious it becomes to me. She has me wrapped and in pretty deep as well. By the time I'm done with her I will have 16-20K into her easy. This one will be a keeper. Smile As far as therapy goes, I would agree ten fold. Everyone needs something to look forward to. I am not saying that I don't get overwhelmed with it every now and then. Razz I cannot wait until she is done though and will enjoy every moment with her on the road. Smile

Beautiful little vert Bill. Do you happen to have a thread on the restoration?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill/wcfvw69 - that looks great !!! Wish my convertible looked that good, will be the ugly duckling next to yours and Amy's.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
azamy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is far from an ugly duckling Cusser. In fact, I think it's quite charming. Also wish I could say that I've had mine as long as you've had yours.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azamy66 wrote:

Beautiful little vert Bill. Do you happen to have a thread on the restoration?

Thanks Cusser/Amy. There's is no rebuild thread on this convertible. In fact, when I started the restoration, digital camera's where still somewhat new. I did shoot some film pictures during different phases of the rebuild. That's what nice about today's restorations. It's so easy to snap pictures with our cell phones and digital cameras.

Here's a couple pictures of when I was replacing the lower 12" of the bug. I remember having friends over. They see how much work I was having to do to it. They were shocked that I didn't scrap it and even surprised when I completed the job.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy...am I smoking too much grass or is your 1968 a swing axle chassis? In your pix of the luggage compartment removed, it's a swing axle back end.

On edit....my fail. I got 1968 in my head as the first year of IRS, when it was in fact 1969. Nothing to read here folks, move along......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: