Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drove 5700 miles to get this van, now building her up!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Drove 5700 miles to get this van, now building her up! Reply with quote

So, the trailer is loaded, bearings feel good, adjusted the brakes and it is ready to carry my new baby back from Georgia. I am leaving on the first leg tomorrow to Salt Lake City where my wife and kiddos are skiing. Stay for 48 hours, then head East. On the way back the LandCruiser will click over a quarter million miles and a better occasion than hauling her sister home isn't possible. Wish me luck! If anybody sees us on the I80 to Omaha or south on the 29 to Kansas City or thence to St. Louis honk and wave! My 13yo son will be along and we're going to track Vanagon sightings. From there we go to Nashville, Chattanooga and Atlanta.

I'm nervous because though I did this exact trip to get the Syncro 3 years ago, the trailers a bit older, the Cruisers aged some, and I'm curious how my monstrous distance driving will have changed. We have a pair of pee privys they give you in the hospital which will add some speed! Trying to get sleepy,....not working...

If anybody has a drivers grey panel, a grey slider panel, or a Fiberglas bumper, contact me and I may divert to buy it. I will have internet access the whole time.

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader

Last edited by IdahoDoug on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: 5700 miles in a week to get my van - starts tomorrow! E Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I will have internet access the whole time.
Doug

Quick change those "Don't Text and Drive" signs to "Don't Post on TheSamba and Drive" Laughing
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what a 13yo co-pilot is for Laughing

Drive safe...... and post pictures of the trip, of the van.... you know, the usual!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely wanna see pics from the trip! jealous!
Noblecr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not just a trip...its an adventure!!! Good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is gonna be an adventure. Cruiser is set up to sleep in the back with reading lights, fan, power sources, food, full window covers. Leave in an hour. Chat with you from the road.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have fun!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bon voyage!

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a Cruiser,not a Vanagon that you are driving...That is about the most dependable driver on the planet,literally!
250 on an FJ is nothing... Very Happy
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We might have what you are looking for in parts vans in SLC. Call Allan at 801-533-9600 ext1 to see.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love road trips to pick up new VW's. Laughing
Have a safe trip and if you need any assistance in the Salt Lake, Utah area, just holler! Wink
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're getting back in the game Doug! You have always had interesting projects and points of view on all things vanagon.

Are you getting another syncro?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in Chattanooga stop to look at the split buses in the yard next to the parking lot at the foot of the cable tramway, and check out the VW factory. Follow the signs.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These trips/adventures are the most fun! Happy Trails. Smile
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a great trip! Take your time, see the sights, POST PICTURES... Razz

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - appreciate all the thoughts! Going to get a car is always very exciting and it's great to think of others sharing that enthusiasm while you are droning along on an 800 mile day. You know how it is. You've been excitedly telling friends and relatives you are driving cross country for an old car for months. The date is circled on the calendar and you're crossing your fingers that some emergency won't manifest, some school play you forgot about, or maybe you'll get that terrible bug everyone seems to have been hit with. Aargh! The possibilities of delay, schedule changes or outright cancellation are seemingly a moment away.

Then you check the trailer, check the tow rig, figure out a way to secure the Van, recheck the weather forecast, double check with your wife (and watch carefully for the hidden "my husband is a nutcase but I'm going to tolerate this Vanagon affliction" message). And then finally you are off. Free to munch Cheetos at the wheel, crank up the tunes nobody else likes, belch, burp, fart, etc.

Then there are the hours of numbing blankness to fill. You wonder "did I remember the shackles for the tow strap?" "Did I leave the cats enough food?" And my personal favorite "Hmm, what was that funny noise I keep imagining I hear?"

So it's great to hear and I will have something more to think about - my Samba buddies. I'm in Park City for a couple days, and am towing an FJ40 eastbound so I found someone who made use of the empty trailer. I will call about parts here in SLC tomorrow - thanks for the number!
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

800 miles a day with a trailer good luck I hope the kid can drive. If you get near DC for any reason stop in for a break.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few years ago when I got the Syncro at the same place, I managed two 1000 mile days. Doable if you plan it and stick to the plan. Gas stops are fast, we sleep in the Cruiser at rest stops so there is no finding a motel, dealing with parking 40 feet of vehicle, unloading luggage, etc. Blinker on to putting up window covers to wiggling into sleeping bags is 15 minutes. I often wake earlier and roll down the freeway for a couple hours before my chatterbox pokes a nose out, and that's my signal to find a breakfast stop. So 15 hours of driving would be typical and a speed average of 55-60 mph the norm. Got a massive tail wind yesterday. Eerily quiet with no wind noise and hardly enough windshield airflow for the RainX to work. Wind is in fact everything. A strong headwind will slow me to 50mph. This is no diesel pickup - big straight six and no attempt at drivetrain efficiency. Just big stout gears and a bluff shape for carrying capacity. One tank was 9mpg....
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
One tank was 9mpg....

Shocked

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hans - thanks. We are heading down there from park city in about an hour. Just found out that my potential source to stop for parts doesn't have them so perfect timing on your advice. Looking for grey interior panels for drivers door, and slider, Fiberglas bumpers, and the black plastic steering column covers.

So should be there by 1230.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: