Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drove 5700 miles to get this van, now building her up!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing how little things multiply and conspire to keep one from the big things. Grabbed the weekender wall panels to install, and realized I needed to replace the cupholders before installing them. I had the cupholders on hand from the Syncro project where I never installed them. So I drilled out the rivets holding them in the panel, cleaned and degreased the panels, then installed three new ones. They are much better than the original VW ones, but look the same from the outside when closed. These new ones from Van Cafe can even handle a ceramic coffee mug, and I will have 3 of them in the rear area. Really looking forward to a summer morning looking out the window at a campsite with a steaming mug in the cupholder...

So, no installations but the panels are ready to go for tomorrow. I hope.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some deliberation, I went ahead and added the reflective foil insulation on the inner side of the R13 pink insulation throughout the Van. I did this on the Syncro as well.

Then I added epoxy and rebedded one of the table's screw anchors and set it aside to cure overnight. The table was not perfectly level when I got the Van and it bugged me. Happily, VW set it up so you can adjust the latching mechanism and now it's perfectly true and level. Then I put a smear of grease on the metal plate the large table latch pin slides along so the action is smooth.

Then FINALLY I began actual reassembly of the interior. Got the large panel at the table back in, then the small one rearward of that, and the large plastic panel on the right cargo panel. As my wife commented, it is starting to look like a vehicle inside again.

Tomorrow, I have a short day at work so I will get a lot of hours on the Van tomorrow - woohoo!

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting theory on the wall insulation.

Sprayed headliner looks fantastic.

We had that discoloration on our Brand new 87 within a few years, plus I seem to remember a similar phenomenon on Beetles we restored. Always assumed it was glue gassing off over the years but who knows?

The steam theory is as good as any but the problem is a car gets so damn hot sitting in the sun every day and the stains appear over time so I suspect it is not install steam but prolonged heat exposure that causes the issue.

A safari roof would probably prevent it. Someone on here simulated one using wood and had a significant drop in temps. If I had a tiptop I would definitely have one.

And yes, tin tops are much faster than westys and probably syncros, definitely Westy-Syncros!

Mark (crazyvwvanman) blew past me on the Freeway once (him in a Tintop, me in a loaded SVX powered Westy with huge tires) and when I finally caught him I asked "What the hell are you running in that thing?" He said, "just a stock 2.1". But then again, Mark obviously knows how to tune and get a stock 2.1 running to it's full potential.

I was slow to learn how much big tires kill your power. I'm stupid like that.

Your build is looking great. Enjoying the thread. Cool

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
realfstkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
After some deliberation, I went ahead and added the reflective foil insulation on the inner side of the R13 pink insulation throughout the Van. I did this on the Syncro as well.

Then I added epoxy and rebedded one of the table's screw anchors and set it aside to cure overnight. The table was not perfectly level when I got the Van and it bugged me. Happily, VW set it up so you can adjust the latching mechanism and now it's perfectly true and level. Then I put a smear of grease on the metal plate the large table latch pin slides along so the action is smooth.

Then FINALLY I began actual reassembly of the interior. Got the large panel at the table back in, then the small one rearward of that, and the large plastic panel on the right cargo panel. As my wife commented, it is starting to look like a vehicle inside again.

Tomorrow, I have a short day at work so I will get a lot of hours on the Van tomorrow - woohoo!

DougM

Hi Doug,

Fascinating thread from what I've read so far. I'm wondering what "reflective foil insulation" you used, and did you just stick the adhesive to the R13 insulation itself, not using any adhesive to stick it to the inside of the body panel?

I ask as I was considering using some dynamat-like (RaamMat) insulation in some areas, but decided against it at the time because I didn't want to stick that gummy material all over the body panels should they need work later, etc. Would you see that as a valid reason not to install Dynamat?

Thanks,

Christian
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the "re-dye" of the headliner worked out well. I picked at a spot that is now hidden by the trim and was pretty amazed at the durability. It literally seems to have become one with the vinyl material VW used for the headliner as I could not pick off the white. It is designed for use on seats that take abrasion, and I'd heard exactly that - you can't pick off the dye like you would with a paint-like product. Interesting for some of you who do serious restorations for clients and the like - one of those products that fulfills its promise.

On the question of avoiding the sound deadening "mat" like products in case of future body work. Would be great to hear from some here more knowledgeable about body work to say if it would interfere, but my inclination would be to say don't worry about it. I've watched body guys work and they already have to deal with the full range of factory rustproofing spray ons, factory sound deadening tar panels, high performance epoxy glues and the like in the regular course of their business. So, I'd say a car with something like Dyna Mat inside the panel they're repairing would be just above a "one yawn" factor for them, considering the magic they perform.

For heat reflecting insulation, I used the same thing I did in the Syncro - Home Depot's product available in rolls. I think I got the 24" by 25 foot roll and it was easily enough for the entire back area of the van. There is nothing in the front doors yet as I'm not sure with the moving window there will be space for even reflecting insulation but will report later. I did not glue anything in place, except for the 3 hooks with 3M adhesive I used in the big wall panel to prevent the fiberglas from settling as a nod to any corrosion risk there.

So today my unexpected guest, AKWesty and his lovely family let him help me with MY Vanagon while theirs was getting aligned. Wow - two guys working together to measure, cut and install carpet, and slap seats and trim back on made the work go fast. As I was telling Chad, there's a big difference between having one of my kiddos or wife helping, and having another experienced guy in the garage. I'd swivel my head to locate the scissers, or marker and he'd swoop it up and slap it in my hand without missing a beat on something we were yakking about. Made me miss wrenching with any of my 3 brothers - all of whom live thousands of miles away.

So in 90 minutes or so, he and I measured, cut and installed new carpet pad and carpet in the flat floor area, put in the VW front seat floor insulation and carpet, installed the freshly painted Z bed frame and seats, and slid the front seats and seatbelts and jumpseats back in. Voila! She's road ready. Just need to sort out the power front windows before putting the interior panels back on. And I need a couple new seatbelts for the jump seats - these that came on the van oddly are so short they won't fit my 98lb daughter! The PO must have gotten them mixed up.

So the van has that "new car" smell in the interior. From cockroaches and bug bombs and a stale smell to every surface cleaned or resurfaced. Very cool. Drove it around town today to run some errands and I have to admit I get a kick out of everyone from little kids to truck drivers pointing at it and smiling.

One of the final touches I've looked forward to for years is coming. 15 years ago we were in Hawaii on vacation and I bought one of those authentic dashboard dancing hula girls, telling my wife "some day I'm going to put this on the dash of a classic car. Well, it didn't go on my 71 Pontiac LeMans Convertible, now sold. Not on the LandCruiser we bought new 21 years ago. Not on the Syncro. Not on the clean Quattro I restored. Somehow it seems right to put her in the Vanagon. So down off the shelf still in her clear box now dusty with age she came. My wife agrees. This Van will probably remain with us forever, so the hula girl will become her mascot. One of those quirky little moments in life all you car guys and gals will certainly appreciate.....

DougM
realfstkid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
One of the final touches I've looked forward to for years is coming. 15 years ago we were in Hawaii on vacation and I bought one of those authentic dashboard dancing hula girls, telling my wife "some day I'm going to put this on the dash of a classic car. Well, it didn't go on my 71 Pontiac LeMans Convertible, now sold. Not on the LandCruiser we bought new 21 years ago. Not on the Syncro. Not on the clean Quattro I restored. Somehow it seems right to put her in the Vanagon. So down off the shelf still in her clear box now dusty with age she came. My wife agrees. This Van will probably remain with us forever, so the hula girl will become her mascot. One of those quirky little moments in life all you car guys and gals will certainly appreciate.....

You mean something like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hee heee! not sure if same face but yep!
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great build!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I just had a little time and read the last couple pages. What a trip that was. I'd forgotten a ton of things. A local magazine asked me to write an article on the Van for next month, and I turned it in Sunday. Should have read this thread to prep!

I will be curious how the headliner does as to that staining stuff. If it comes through the dye I will be sure and let you guys know. So far, that has been one of the huge surface refreshings (second to the pain) that really makes the van look and feel crisp and fresh.
GTIII86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Drove 5700 miles to get this van, now building her up! Reply with quote

This. Is. Awesome. Wow!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Drove 5700 miles to get this van, now building her up! Reply with quote

Thanks - huge fun ratio for our family, and huge smile ratio to other drivers and such when we are in her. Just great fun! I'd do it again next year at the drop of a hat. Magazine article was a hit also - everyone around town knows who we are by the van. She's a local celebrity.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: