Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Conditioning and Price
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GatorsUF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Air Conditioning and Price Reply with quote

This is a twofer

1. Is it possible to put AC in a 73' Thing? My mother is interested in purchasing one and she is very accepting of putting the top down and using natures AC, however during the swamp months here in Sarasota, FL when it's 2000 degrees and 400% humidity I am sure AC would be an added bonus. I see that in 1974 AC was an option, however a google search has not produced and aftermarket AC systems...to my knowledge.

2. I have read the "what to look for thread" so I will certainly inspect the vehicle for those issues. My question is this, the owner states the vehicle is in prestine condition and with original motor, trans, paint and sapphire radio. 2nd owner with 26k original miles. They are asking $20,000, is this a fair price for that vehicle if those claims are true?

Thanks! I am a GM car guy so the VW world is a bit foreign to me, so I decided to ask the experts Smile
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20K sounds like a lot of money, but from a collector's perspective, a car is only original once. If the car you're looking at is really what the owner claims, that price is not unreasonable.
There are many roadworthy Things for sale for less than 20K; maybe or maybe not (probably not) as nice as the one you're considering, but roadworthy.
I'm sure Ron will chime in, but to buy a rusted, busted car and restore it properly will cost every bit of 20K, and it won't be an original car with 26,000 original miles on it.
Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turk.380 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, in my mind no Thing is capable of being worth $20k today, at least outside of a seller's mind.. however if it *is* nice enough to command a "collector premium", you'd be ruining it by hacking a modern aftermarket AC system into it.

My advise is to move along.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are seeing some $20,000 plus cars. If you want a good driver with air a original low mile car is not the way to go. To put air in a Thing you will be cutting holes, running line front to back drilling holes and taking away a lot of power that you don't have to start with. Bigger engine would help but then you could have a heat problem. If you are going to do all of this ,start with a car that is not all that original. Most cars that we do has about 400 hours labor at $30.00 per hour, $2500 paint material, easy put $2000-3000 in a engine, top and curtains $2500, seats, rubber trim, $800, We spend about $200 just for bolts and nuts. Sandblast will save about 100 hours but for a full body and pan with all parts will run about $2000. So yes that price for a nice car is in line. Sure you can buy a Thing for $6000, but what are you getting and how will you be using it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like my brother Ron just said installing Ac is a big job and I don't know of anyone making new kits just old parts as far the price on the thng who would think it would cost over 100,00 to buy a old vw bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
herewego
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't mind my asking, has your mother ever driven a Thing? I own one and love it, but it's not a conventional car by most any definition. Even in top condition, getting in and out is challenging, engine and wind noise are significant, climate control is tempermental at best, pedal position and feel is unusual and takes some getting used to, as do handling, braking and seat position, and suffice it to say it's not the safest car on the road. Driving on the freeway, while generally possible, is an adventure in and of itself and I think not really the sweet spot for these cars. She may know all of that, or you may know it and will work with her, and that's great -- the more satisfied Thing owners the better! But I've found that people who like these cars for their cuteness or oddball factor alone don't always understand some of the quirks and limitations that come along. There actually seems to be a lot of low-ish mile examples around, I think partly for these reasons.

Please don't get me wrong -- Things are tons of fun, but they're also sort of rowdy and unrefined. Most of us wouldn't have it any other way, but neither would most of look for AC or other more conventional creature comforts on these cars.

As for price, I keep a fairly close eye on sales (as do many people on this site), and the only ones I've seen go for $20K have been at some of the big auctions, and I think many of those are viewed as overpriced. Nobody would know better than Ron Domeck about the cost of restoration, and I'm sure he's dead on, but I think it is pretty rare for someone to get that cost back out. At minimum, I would want to be absolutely certain that it is as original as presented. Like I said, lots of decent, low mile examples around, but I know from experience that sometimes even sellers don't know what's original and what's not, and lots of things happen to these cars over their 40-year lives.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum. The people around here are terrific, so don't be afraid to come back with questions.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of other FL Things... The Red/Black and White one both look decent and are priced accordingly...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

I agree that you'd kill the "originality" value with a modern A/C unit..

They dont list one specifically for the Thing, but I am sure the Beetle or Ghia unit would work just fine... Might need a little filler panel for the center dash dip on the Beetle unit....
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VW-Air-Conditioning-Conditioners-Kits-s/1033.htm
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill sell you mine ...and its only $19,999.. Very Happy

I agree with the Ron that it would be better to find a really nice Thing and finish it the way you want. I did that and still have over 20K in it. And I did most of the work myself Shocked

As far as "no thing being worth 20K today".... totally disagree
I would have and still would pay that in a heart beat to find the car I wanted all ready finished. Im done loosing money on building cars. My next one is going to be someone elses labor of love= loss.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfarii wrote:
Im done loosing money on building cars. My next one is going to be someone elses labor of love= loss.

Wise words of experience talking here!! Wink
Aint that the truth!! Rolling Eyes
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also be sure the odometer works, a lot of these cars has the plastic gear broke, you think you are getting a low mile car to find out the odometer broke years ago.
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just because the odometer works does not mean it has been working the life of the vehicle. I bought what I thought was a low mileage car once. I later found a sticker under the dash from xxx speedometer service. I had no idea how many miles were "missing" unless you have detailed records from day one, mileage is only an educateded guess. buyer beware.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfarii wrote:
And just because the odometer works does not mean it has been working the life of the vehicle... buyer beware.

Or even from that particular vehicle... Especially with how easy it is to swap an old style speedo.....
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Bohdan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the ad you have mentioned for 20K in the Tribune. Looks pristine from a small picture. I am not too crazy about hard tops though.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilmore's makes AC systems for VWs.

http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/Air/Ghia.htm

They don't list it for a Thing but I don't see why it would not work - assuming you are not contemplating any type of off road driving. This is because the lines from the compressor run along the channel for the pan. I could see this being a problem in off road driving.

I installed a Gilmore set up last year on my Ghia.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=541940&highlight=

It works well. Gilmore claims the unit draws less than 1.5 HP - much more efficient than the original set up.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aircooled.net carries various air conditioning kits...

Installation services...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1563186
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Aircooled.net carries various air conditioning kits...

Installation services...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1563186

That looks like the older version of the Gilmore unit. They changed the air vents a bit a couple of years ago. Gilmore probably supplies them.

They also mark the price up as well by a few hundred dollars.
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVA Airhead wrote:
Gilmore's makes AC systems for VWs.

http://www.gilmore-enterprises.net/Air/Ghia.htm

Gilmore!! That's the one I was trying to find in my earlier post... They are in FL too!!
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notice the stock ac from vw takes up a lot of room in trhe thing engine department and the condenser is mounted in front of the front axle so you still have the road clearance
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not trying to rain on anybody's parade, but here is my two cents.
1. Fifteen to twenty thousand dollars is a reasonable price for a Thing that is in great shape. That way you know exactly what you are getting, not guessing how much you will be putting into it to achieve what you want.
2. If you are not well versed on type 181 Things, find someone who is. Better yet, call Larry or Rodger at The Thing Shop and ask them if they currently have any for sale. They have such a great a reputation that there is no way they would misrepresent any Thing they have. You will pay a premium price, but you will get a PREMIUM PRODUCT.
3. Then you can add, or have The Thing Shop add an AC system from Gilmore. Gilmore has relocated from Florida to the Las Vegas, NV area. I installed his Ghia system in my Acapulco. The blower/evaporator looks 95% exactly like the 1974 VW OEM system. The modern compressor is extremely efficient and has only cost me two MPH when climbing five mile long 7% grades. I live in West Virginia, we only have two throttle positions, full on or full off. The system operates GREAT. The installation only required two 1 1/4" holes in the firewall and two more in the front kick plate. You will spend about $2500 for the installed product. Less if you are capable of doing it yourself. Don't even think about trying to do it yourself if you do not have a car lift.
If you want to talk with me about my experience and installation, e-mail me your phone number along with the best time to call you.
Remember, it is a THING. Even when cool in the summer and warm in the winter, it is noisy, bumpy, hard to get into, even harder to get out of, and it takes you ten minutes to get the smile off your face when you arrive at your destination. Not to mention the tired arm mussels from returning all of the waves you get driving down the road.
Gene Kisner [email protected]
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Kisner wrote:
I am not trying to rain on anybody's parade, but here is my two cents.
1. Fifteen to twenty thousand dollars is a reasonable price for a Thing that is in great shape. That way you know exactly what you are getting, not guessing how much you will be putting into it to achieve what you want.
2. If you are not well versed on type 181 Things, find someone who is. Better yet, call Larry or Rodger at The Thing Shop and ask them if they currently have any for sale. They have such a great a reputation that there is no way they would misrepresent any Thing they have. You will pay a premium price, but you will get a PREMIUM PRODUCT.
3. Then you can add, or have The Thing Shop add an AC system from Gilmore. Gilmore has relocated from Florida to the Las Vegas, NV area. I installed his Ghia system in my Acapulco. The blower/evaporator looks 95% exactly like the 1974 VW OEM system. The modern compressor is extremely efficient and has only cost me two MPH when climbing five mile long 7% grades. I live in West Virginia, we only have two throttle positions, full on or full off. The system operates GREAT. The installation only required two 1 1/4" holes in the firewall and two more in the front kick plate. You will spend about $2500 for the installed product. Less if you are capable of doing it yourself. Don't even think about trying to do it yourself if you do not have a car lift.
If you want to talk with me about my experience and installation, e-mail me your phone number along with the best time to call you.
Remember, it is a THING. Even when cool in the summer and warm in the winter, it is noisy, bumpy, hard to get into, even harder to get out of, and it takes you ten minutes to get the smile off your face when you arrive at your destination. Not to mention the tired arm mussels from returning all of the waves you get driving down the road.
Gene Kisner [email protected]

I installed mine without a lift. No problem. I did need a couple of jack stands. IMO it was not a difficult job and not worth paying someone $1k or so to do it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: