Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air Conditioning and Price
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a copy of the dealer a/c installation instructions specifically for the Thing. I'll see if I can dig them out and scan them. I plan to install the dealer a/c system into my 73 Thing one of these days. It took buying the parts off of about 3 systems to get what I need for my install. The underdash portions don't seem to hold up all that well. There are significant cracks in all three of the underdash units I have (one can barely be described as a unit - only has one vent, one switch, and the blower motor really).
notchnem65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed my Gilmore AC kit in my Thing without a lift in my garage also. Took about 10 hours or so. Works great, blows cold, and does not rob too much power. I have the Gilmore kit made for a bug. You do have to remember that you are in an un insulated car that lets the hot air in while you drive still though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HALEY STEPHENS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAVE A VW THING WITH AIR. APPEARS TO BE FACTORY TO ME. JUST PUT IN ON CRAIGLIST-ATLANTA. IT NEEDS A RIGHT FRONT FENDER. TAKE $2,000 FOR IT OR TRADE FOR CHEVY C-10 THAT IS A SOLID TRUCK. 770-548-7921.
ernieballbass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchnem65 wrote:
I installed my Gilmore AC kit in my Thing without a lift in my garage also. Took about 10 hours or so. Works great, blows cold, and does not rob too much power. I have the Gilmore kit made for a bug. You do have to remember that you are in an un insulated car that lets the hot air in while you drive still though.

Were the hose lengths the same as the bug? What changes were needed to make the bug kit work?
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HALEY STEPHENS wrote:
I HAVE A VW THING WITH AIR. APPEARS TO BE FACTORY TO ME. JUST PUT IN ON CRAIGLIST-ATLANTA. IT NEEDS A RIGHT FRONT FENDER. TAKE $2,000 FOR IT OR TRADE FOR CHEVY C-10 THAT IS A SOLID TRUCK. 770-548-7921.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/4424367218.html
Better pictures will make this sale happen for you... Rolling Eyes
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
Doward1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: VW Thing AC unit available Reply with quote

Hi, are you interested in buying an AC unit out of a 73 thing? It's stock (or at least as stock as a VW ac unit can be) When I say stock I mean that is was factory installed
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HALEY STEPHENS wrote:

You should place the ad in the classifieds, not in the forums. Moderators may move or delete the post.

Good luck with the sale.
notchnem65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernieballbass wrote:
notchnem65 wrote:

Were the hose lengths the same as the bug? What changes were needed to make the bug kit work?

Yes the hose lengths worked just fine, mounting the condensor and the under dash unit were a little different than on a bug. Nothing difficult though. Can easily be done in a weekend start to finish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: